Slider Opinions for the Elk hunters

KyleR1985

WKR
I have a Hogg father with two fiber vertical pin. It doesn’t move and is set at 30/40 roughly. I dialed to 100. Id probably shoot to 80 with ideal conditions. I won’t touch the dial unless those conditions present themselves, and I won’t shoot one past 40 unless those conditions present themselves. It’s a 1 out of 10 type luxury.

Also, PSA - If you have a dovetail sight, make sure the bar is set properly before you go in the woods. I have a hole full of shame in my heart from last year from making that mistake. Ranging, and then Making a perfect shot, and watching your arrow sail over an elks back is depressing. 2020 sucked!

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion getting a sliding sight is for practicing BUT that one time you need it when hunting and don't have it, you'll regret it. If an extra 10 or 15 yards is the difference between notching your tag or not, I'm taking every precaution to make sure I've got the ability to make that shot.

I favor multi-pin sights that have the entire housing adjustable (think MBG). I've run a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie double pin but never could figure out the buzz it had at the shot and honestly wasn't fond of just 2 vertical pins so I sold it. They offer up to a 7-pin configuration in that sight.

I'm currently running a Spot Hogg 7 Deadly Pins and love the distances it covers with fixed pins but honestly I want to practice out to as far as a slider allows me to and 80 yards isn't enough.

I just bought a MBG Mountain Lite 5 pin (just came in the mail today actually) to hopefully bridge the gap between fixed and adjustable setups. Whitetail hunting I'll never dial it unless practicing but for elk, I'll set it for 20-60 and be able to dial out if needed during a hunt. If you find yourself hunting dark timber you'll likely never dial but if the hunt turns out in open country and you find yourself needing to dial, you have the ability with a hybrid sight. Another thing I've found is when broadhead tuning, it sure is nice to be able to dial out and shoot as far as you can to get them dialed in.

As with any setup though, practice with it until you can use it without thinking twice about it.

Nowadays, you can pick up used setups here to try out and run through a couple different ones to figure out what you like best. Save some money.

gelton

WKR
Nothing wrong with a slider elk hunting but I would be sure to have at least 5 pins. I had a 3 pin set at 30,40,50 and had to dial to a ranged distance and the elk kept coming in closer and without a chance to range and redial I guestimated and missed.

Moving the bottom pin only seems like a better option but if you are sliding the entire sight housing, once its dialed, every pin is off and you most likely won't have enough time to pull the rangefinder and redial.

With a five-pin it would have bought me more time because I had an extra 10 yards of distance without having to monkey with the slider and most likely would have given myself enough time to not have to use the slider at all.

Nothing wrong with a slider elk hunting but I would be sure to have at least 5 pins. I had a 3 pin set at 30,40,50 and had to dial to a ranged distance and the elk kept coming in closer and without a chance to range and redial I guestimated and missed.

Moving the bottom pin only seems like a better option but if you are sliding the entire sight housing, once its dialed, every pin is off and you most likely won't have enough time to pull the rangefinder and redial.

With a five-pin it would have bought me more time because I had an extra 10 yards of distance without having to monkey with the slider and most likely would have given myself enough time to not have to use the slider at all.
This right here.

My bow shit the bed just before season. I shoot a fixed five pin. Had to borrow a bow with a 3 pin slider. Maybe did not cost me the bull because I had not shot the bow enough.

However, in my instance the slider sucked. My new bow will have a fixed pin sight.

Margotron

FNG
I have MBG slider w 20/30/40. Thinking about adding a 4th pin for 50 and slider for the rest. Too many elk shot between 20 and 30 to ditch the 20yard pin, but 5 pins is so much clutter

N2TRKYS

WKR

How far was the elk when you drew back to shoot?

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have MBG slider w 20/30/40. Thinking about adding a 4th pin for 50 and slider for the rest. Too many elk shot between 20 and 30 to ditch the 20yard pin, but 5 pins is so much clutter

I bet you could ditch the 20 yard pin and wouldn’t miss it.