slim or others- Zebra 502c or 502d

slim9300

WKR
How about option #3? ;)

You should go with the new H502w. I gave my H502c to Elknut this winter and planned on getting another one come spring. Well, Zebralight announced the new W model just about two months ago and that's what I bought. Mine showed up last week just in time for an overnight backpacking trip over the weekend.

The H502w is significantly brighter at 260 lumens and produces a 'color' or 'temp' of light that is perfect in my opinion at 4400k. (The d model is 5000k and 170 lumens which is more blueish and the c model is 4000k and 142 lumens which is a tiny bit more yellowish) Just realize that the more 'blue' a light, the harder it is to see color at night which equates to a feeling of limited vision and a lack of definition. And with a more yellow light (lower on the K scale) you start to lose efficiency very quickly (ie. lumens) and I honestly struggle seeing with them anyways due to the more pronounced shadows they seem to create.

In all reality the color difference between the C and W models is hard to tell apart, but the W is way brighter so it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Remember, the light is even brighter with a Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA battery instead of the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop. I would say you get about 10% of an increase in Lm and a weight savings. :)

Did I forget to mention that you get nearly 300 lumens from a tiny headlamp that weighs 2.38 ounces with the AA battery and headband?! ;)

ahebezu5.jpg

http://www.zebralight.com/H502w-AA-Flood-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_108.html

Last edited:

slim9300

WKR
LOL. Sorry guys!

Don't forget to adjust your headband like this one for maximum comfort and no plastic touching your head...

8ega7apa.jpg

OP
S

seand

Lil-Rokslider
Do you find the 120deg beam limits the throw much? Wondering how it does for lighting up distance for normal hiking and maybe running at night. Do you wind up using another light when you want more distance or do you think the 502w is pretty good all around.

slim9300

WKR
Do you find the 120deg beam limits the throw much? Wondering how it does for lighting up distance for normal hiking and maybe running at night. Do you wind up using another light when you want more distance or do you think the 502w is pretty good all around.

The H502 is a flood only, so there is no spot (ie. long distance 'throw'). When I want a flood and spot combo headlamp I use my H600w, but there is a weight and battery penalty since it uses the much larger 16850 cells.

The H502w puts a wall of light up and illuminates everything about 40' in front of you with a spill of basically the same distance wide. It's perfect for walking at night or doing camp chores, but I could see how when trail running, some guys could want some 'throw' to see ahead of themselves another 20 yards or more. I would probably run with the H502 though since it's the lightest option available for the output and I wouldn't notice it's on my head. The H600 wouldn't be the best for running I don't think.

I do really like both headlamps so I take both on my long elk hunts. If I had to pick one to go UL, obviously it would be the H502.

The H600w does makes 645 lumens and casts a beam out to 100 yards on high, while providing a 'wall' of light out to about 60'. I'm not going to lie and tell you that it's not great for packing out of hell holes with a heavy load of meat. :)

The biggest issues with the H600 is the initial cost, the fact that rechargeable 16850 batteries are $20 each, a decent charger is $25 and it weighs 3.75 ounces total. But if you are looking for the highest possible light output, it's the way to go.

y8a4ehe9.jpg

2yhy8yju.jpg

Last edited:

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
A while back I ordered the H502C and the H51 after reading some of Slim's good reviews on Zebralight. Have been testing both and really like both for different uses but have been carrying the 51 for all around use.

Damn it Slim, now I just might have to get a 502W to try out...

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got the h502d and really like the warmer light and how easy it is to see different colors.

The zebra isn't a spotlight at all, but I also carry a fenix ld15 which runs on one AA and is incredibly bright for the size and weight. It really puts light out there. Together they're a great combo.

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
Slim, to put this in a nutshell the h502w would be your pick if you could have only one? I'm not into the big one only because of the weird battery.

slim9300

WKR
A while back I ordered the H502C and the H51 after reading some of Slim's good reviews on Zebralight. Have been testing both and really like both for different uses but have been carrying the 51 for all around use.

Damn it Slim, now I just might have to get a 502W to try out...

Lol. I'm not sure it's worth buying another headlamp for the difference when yours is perfectly good. Maybe you are wealthier than I am. ;)

Now if you could sell your current H502 for say $60 to your buddy, now maybe. :)