Slumberjack SJK Outpost 4 Tipi

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I used my stove in this tent for the first time on an actual campout this last week. Two of us packed in 3-4 miles geared for cold weather. Pack was around 40 lbs with tent, stove, and cot. I was very impressed.

I have the Luxe 3W stove and was using a 20* Kelty Cosmic down sleeping bag. The temps at night were in the 20*s. After getting the tent nice and toasty and filling the stove and going to sleep around 9:30, it wasn't until 4:30 in the morning that I woke up and thought the perimeter around my legs was starting to feel a little chilly.
At 5:00 I started a roaring fire and dozed off and on until 6:30 when it was time to get our clothes on and get out the door to go hunt, and it was toasty as could be.

Also, there was plenty of room for 2 guys packs and guns without being pushed up against the walls. I'm excited to get out and do it again.

IMG_20211016_102253788_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211016_102247323_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I used my stove in this tent for the first time on an actual campout this last week. Two of us packed in 3-4 miles geared for cold weather. Pack was around 40 lbs with tent, stove, and cot. I was very impressed.

I have the Luxe 3W stove and was using a 20* Kelty Cosmic down sleeping bag. The temps at night were in the 20*s. After getting the tent nice and toasty and filling the stove and going to sleep around 9:30, it wasn't until 4:30 in the morning that I woke up and thought the perimeter around my legs was starting to feel a little chilly.
At 5:00 I started a roaring fire and dozed off and on until 6:30 when it was time to get our clothes on and get out the door to go hunt, and it was toasty as could be.

Also, there was plenty of room for 2 guys packs and guns without being pushed up against the walls. I'm excited to get out and do it again.

View attachment 339409
View attachment 339430
That looks like a nice setup with the stove jack you installed. Does the air vent help with condensation during the night?

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like a nice setup with the stove jack you installed. Does the air vent help with condensation during the night?

I'm sure it helps some. But the stove actually helps more than anything. I camped in this tent in early summer with no stove and there was pretty heavy condensation.
This time around I had a rag to help with that, but after starting the fire in the morning didn't really need it because condensation above 18" off the ground dried right out. Below that there was a bit, but it was frozen solid for the most part.

GusBuss

FNG
Thank you for all of the information on this forum. Going this direction now already ordered the outpost and stove jack material. going to try and do it similar to jim Carr's SO upgrade on here and fallow the seams in the tent. https://www.rokslide.com/seek-outside-stove-jack-upgrade/
should be a lighter/smaller alternative to the wall tent when space and weight is an issue. This site has some great information and ideas. keep posting.

GusBuss

FNG
Here it is. Ordered the material and sewed a jack that fallowed the seams of the SJ outback. This is what I ended up with. Stove jack has Velcro on the sides and bottom so I could add a cover if needed. Has a flap to cover the hole for the pipe when I cut it out. I have used the bear paw jack in my wall tent and like it so I used some of the ideas for this project. Looking forward to testing it out.

Attachments

• 637DDED4-FA18-4625-ABAA-C35184C5C8D3.jpeg
    637DDED4-FA18-4625-ABAA-C35184C5C8D3.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 530E52F1-54D3-4098-98FC-B3D489A27181.jpeg
    530E52F1-54D3-4098-98FC-B3D489A27181.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 6665CD46-CF55-4172-9EF9-8EA1BD844E3C.jpeg
    6665CD46-CF55-4172-9EF9-8EA1BD844E3C.jpeg
    431.4 KB · Views: 70

sneaky

"DADDY"
Here it is. Ordered the material and sewed a jack that fallowed the seams of the SJ outback. This is what I ended up with. Stove jack has Velcro on the sides and bottom so I could add a cover if needed. Has a flap to cover the hole for the pipe when I cut it out. I have used the bear paw jack in my wall tent and like it so I used some of the ideas for this project. Looking forward to testing it out.
Did you put your stove jack in the spot for the upper vent? How are you planning on circulating air in there with no top vent? I put mine in the back panel of my Outpost so I could still use my vent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GusBuss

FNG
Sneaky, I put it to the left of the top vent. The top vent is still there and functions. You can see it in the top right of the second photo I posted. The top of the jack is the same hight as the bottom top vet. I tried to place the jack as high as possible to keep the pipe in the tent for additional heat.

Usi05

WKR
As much as I love this budget shelter I’m thinking of selling as my girls just won’t do floorless.

Held up great the other night in 40MPH Michigan winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I love this budget shelter I’m thinking of selling as my girls just won’t do floorless.

Held up great the other night in 40MPH Michigan winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM me if you want to sell. I've been watching this thread since the beginning and am curious

ezwy

FNG
Got a stove jack sewn in this week. I am going to use it with a pomoly fastfold stove. It's not the lightest set up, but i feel better about screwing up a cheaper tent this first go around, then when I dial things in maybe I'll upgrade. Went with the pomoly stove because I like the quick set up and less small parts to drop and lose.

So it weighs 1 pound 13.4 ounces so it’s not “that” light. It can be used on its own if so inclined; just need something to attach the top to.

Attached is a photo showing a size comparison to a WM MegaLite and Helinix cot.

Attachments

• CD5E83E1-8615-41F9-B60B-DBF7C562A34B.jpeg
    CD5E83E1-8615-41F9-B60B-DBF7C562A34B.jpeg
    424.2 KB · Views: 35