Small form factor tourniquet

Mildot

FNG
I have several CAT tourniquets in my packs, travel bags and vehicles..

Is there a comparable tourniquet of smaller size available?

Looking for something I could slip into my pocket that is not so bulky.

Thanks

def90

WKR
Not that I've seen. The cats aren't all that big to begin with. Just strap it to your pack harness with rubber bands.

OP
M

Mildot

FNG
Thanks for the replies.

Just wondering if there was something slimmer that I could slip in my pocket when I am out and about.

Dennis

WKR
RAT Tourniquet would fit in pocket or worn around waist and works on kids.

From Amazon site,

The Rapid Application Tourniquet System (R.A.T.S) is the fastest tourniquet on the market and is used to stop massive hemorrhaging due to trauma. The R.A.T.S. uses a solid elastic core of proprietary material with a polyester sheath, combined with a patented locking mechanism to make an incredibly fast tourniquet to apply to self or others. No other tourniquet compares to the R.A.T.S. when being used under stress in terms of time or ease of use.

CAT
SOF
RATS
Swat T

from people I trust, those seem to be the ones they like. CAT gets top marks. SOF seems to work as well too. The RAT and the Swat T apparently don’t function as well but are more easily carried. I have both. The RAT is sometimes part of my EDC and I carry the SWAT in my truck first aid kit (with 2x cats) Where it can pull double duty as compression.

i run a CAT in a carrier (blue force gear) on my pack belt. it is 5 oz all in. I like a carrier over rubber bands for security and keeping it clean and clear of mud, etc.

if I were doing it again, I would buy on of the orange ones and put it in a high viz color carrier So it would be more obvious to others.

BFM

FNG
I've carried a snakestaff for about a year. Can't verify stopping blood with it but testing feels like it works.

bat-cave

WKR
A training Org that I belong to did a bunch of testing on various TQ's. They just ordered a bunch of the standard and wide TQ's from Snakestaff to test out and will report back (Hopefully nest week). The Cat 7 is largely considered the gold standard and I always have one in my truck and on my packs in the backcountry. I also carry a Rats in my truck and pack as well for kids or pets. But for EDC, I'm not carrying a Cat 7 as it's not practical (for me). If I was wearing a duty belt, I'd like give a different answer. The Snakestaff takes away the excuses to carry as it's so small. If my kids were still little I might carry a Rats everyday as well. My .02

Reactions: BFM

JStol5

WKR
Get a SWAT-T. I’m an EMT and I carry one in my pocket at all times, and one in my truck. They’re insanely versatile. Can use as a tourniquet, a pressure dressing, etc. I’ve used them on severe penetrating injuries and they work great. They’re also good for individuals who may not be a good candidate for a traditional tourniquet (ex. a little old lady with skinny arms) or an injury very high up on an extremity. They also spread the pressure across a wider surface area so they don’t hurt as damn much.

BFM

FNG
Another one I have been carrying that is a smaller form than CAT but bigger than Snakestaff is RMT. This one is by far the easiest I've tried for self application.

Austink47

WKR
Just bought one based off your rec and that of @bat-cave , thanks for

Get a SWAT-T. I’m an EMT and I carry one in my pocket at all times, and one in my truck. They’re insanely versatile. Can use as a tourniquet, a pressure dressing, etc. I’ve used them on severe penetrating injuries and they work great. They’re also good for individuals who may not be a good candidate for a traditional tourniquet (ex. a little old lady with skinny arms) or an injury very high up on an extremity. They also spread the pressure across a wider surface area so they don’t hurt as damn much.
Good to hear you have had good experience with the swat T. I find the shape super convenient but have always wondered if it would stop a serious bleed.

fwafwow

WKR
To me it’s similar to handguns. I like carrying a full size pistol sometimes but a smaller if the large is likely to be left at home. So like others have said, I have a CAT in my car or on me when in the field, but Snakestaff otherwise. This is a good reminder that I need some more - of both.

EDIT - per another thread of mine on this topic, I am now second-guessing carrying the Snakestaff, in part due to this video (
). I still think having it is better than not having a TQ, but it will cause me to think more about bulk/convenience.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mildot

FNG
Thanks for all the replies.

I received [2] Swat-T tourniquets today. Size wise they will work for me.

Mike

bat-cave

WKR
FWIW - Just a final caution about buying TQ's from Amazon / generic website. A large number of Cat's (that I specifically know of) are knock off's and may well be unsafe. I serve on my church security team and a couple of our guys are Fed's and in this case also EMT's. The Amazon knock off's look like the real deal, but in testing failed miserably. There are video's out there that walk you through how to ID what you have and determine if it's genuine or not, but sadly it's a case of if the price seems like a screaming deal .... let the buyer beware. Staying with a reputable company (OEM / North American Rescue / Dark Angel Medical etc ...) is your best bet.

bpitcher

FNG
Snakestaff for sure. I carry one in my pocket. They are also the size of a G19 mag.

I have a bunch of CATS for the truck, IFAKS, etc.