Smoked Elk Brisket

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Meats like venison, elk, etc. are tough to smoke as you need temp low enough to not drive out moisture but still achieve the low cooking over and extended time. With very little marbled fat in the meat, there is a real challenge.

You should consider brining the meat before smoking. It will help with retaining moisture and break down of the meat tissue. Normally a larger chunk of meat is smoked 12-18 hours. With the wild game i would smoke for 2-3 hours at as low as possible temp to produce smoke, then wrap with meat smoking butcher paper. Wrapping in this style paper will help retain some moisture and allow for longer cooking period. You could try adding some pork belly strips to add some fat, not sure how much that will help though.

Good luck.

Try injecting with melted lard, smoking, then wrapping in foil with sauce, juice, or whatever moisture you want to finish it off.

Northpark

WKR
I love smoking wild game roasts including brisket. My solution to not drying them out is to use a meat tenderizer to poke holes all over them will the holes with melted bacon grease. Smoke for a few hours to get the flavor then wrap in tin foil with a few slices of bacon on top before wrapping. Cook to 190 for tough cuts to break down connective tissue or 150 for tender cuts.