Smokers?

colonel00

WKR
Speaking of smokers, I am doing a twice smoked ham on my drum smoker today.

IMG_2314_zps7caada7f.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That ham looks awesome. I have a Cabelas box smoker that is propane and have been happy with it. If I used it allot electric would definitely be cheaper than propane. Ive made snack sticks and had a learning curve to get them done uniformly. Probably help out allot if I bought a wireless thermostats

Stid2677

WKR
I have used all kinds of smokers home built, Big Chief, and now my Bradley Digital Smoker, to me they all will produce similar results. It really comes down to how much you want to spend versus how much work you want to do..

My Bradley Digital, is set it and forget it. It will do both cold and hot smoke, can use the wood pucks or cut rounds from puck sized branches. The digital smoker combined with my remote temp probe that is wifi that sends the temp and cook time to my iphone, lets me do other things besides tending the smoker. Some days I don't mind and enjoy it, but with this option I smoke more because it don't require as much monitoring.

P2120598_zps18ae1f9e.jpg

PC240271_zps6b927bb9.jpg

PC240274_zps11b51e6e.jpg

colonel00

WKR
That ham looks awesome.

Thanks. It is double smoked, double glazed with a brown sugar, pineapple and habanero rub glaze. Still cooking actually but should be fantastic when it is done.

IMG_2317_zps272625fc.jpg

Looks great Stid. Those stuffed loins look delectable.

Stid2677

WKR
Thanks. It is double smoked, double glazed with a brown sugar, pineapple and habanero rub glaze. Still cooking actually but should be fantastic when it is done.

IMG_2317_zps272625fc.jpg

Looks great Stid. Those stuffed loins look delectable.

So does that Ham,, I think I will have to make one for Thanks Giving. :) Maybe I should go back and hang out on the FAT thread. :)

Care to share your rub recipe,, love Habs....

colonel00

WKR
Lol, I was just reading that thread. This time of the year and meat off the smoker definitely doesn't help with the weight battle but everything in moderation.

The recipe for the glaze comes from the link below. I mentioned this site earlier in this thread as a great place to hang out and learn to cook stuff. I added a quarter cup of vinegar to the recipe in this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148657

I don't make the rub but rather get it from a local guy here in KC that makes great rubs.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=signature-edition-habanero-death-dust

Not sure what shipping runs up to you but it is probably worth it. Great for wings but also fun to find other uses. All of his rubs are great and the one for venison and wild game might interest you.

Stid2677

WKR
Lol, I was just reading that thread. This time of the year and meat off the smoker definitely doesn't help with the weight battle but everything in moderation.

The recipe for the glaze comes from the link below. I mentioned this site earlier in this thread as a great place to hang out and learn to cook stuff. I added a quarter cup of vinegar to the recipe in this thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148657

I don't make the rub but rather get it from a local guy here in KC that makes great rubs.

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/?product=signature-edition-habanero-death-dust

Not sure what shipping runs up to you but it is probably worth it. Great for wings but also fun to find other uses. All of his rubs are great and the one for venison and wild game might interest you.

Thanks for the link,, got some of the rub on the way,, although the name is SCARY. :)

Steve

unm1136

WKR
For years I have been happy with my Alton Brown Cardboard Box Smoker. A hotplate, a cake pan, some saw dust, some dowels, a cooling rack or two, and a couple of probe thermometers and you are set. oh, and a cardboard box big enough to hold it all, with the food you want to smoke. It was easy to use, easy to store, and didn't break the bank. This year I am going with a modified cheapo brinkman, so time will tell how much I like it. One think I like about the cardboard box smoker, is that it is very easy to convert it to a cold smoker for making bacon...I have done bacon, pork shoulder, trout, and chicken.

Been making my own rubs for years, too, and I ripped off Alton Brown's rub and chicken shake to do it. I am very happy with what I have done with it.

pat

OP
G

gethuntin

WKR
well everyone I see cabelas has a masterbuilt on sale Friday for $150 if they have any left when I get their I will most likely going that route.They also have a Traeger Lil tex on sale for 500 but that's a bit much right now especially since I have a fairly new grill, next time.

I purchased the one you can get at Lowes 14 months ago. Do not know the name off hand. The temp guage is for the beans. I installed two other higher grade thermometers still no dice. Had an interior thermometer by Maverick that allows me to monitor it from inside the house and keep the temp more stable. I start it app. 6 am and am usually done noonish cooking two 5lb Pork butts or a large brisket. One thing I no longer do is soak the wood. Got on a meat smoking thread and they advised against as you are then steaming the food somewhat. I have noticed better smoked flavor as well

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Bradley that works but not too well. I've had it 2 years and it has lost its set it and forget it ability. The feeder will either not feed at all or feed everything all at once. Temperature variations are a pain as well. It works just well enough to keep me from getting a new one. A digital Bradley may be better but the knob controlled heat one is not something I would suggest.