Snort Wheeze

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone ever heard this in the wild? If so, was it a whitetail or mule deer? What state? What time of year (relative to rut)?

I may have heard it this year, but never saw the deer (whitetail). It would've been slightly post-rut here in SW MO.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots. Usually the last thing I hear before I see them running away, lol. Mule deer in Washington during September.

Cranny

Lil-Rokslider
My grandfather did it all the time after downing a slug of wild turkey.....

But seriously I never heard the snort wheeze but here lots of whitetails "blowing" before they bug out when spooked

Browtine

WKR
Ive heard it a few times, but not often. The grunt snort wheeze is the most aggressive sound a whitetail makes to show dominance. I rattle ALOT and use it after my rattling sequence occasionally. Haven't had many come into it, but when they do, they're always nice.

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I have actually heard this quite a bit hunting big woods whitetail here in Pennsylvania. I've had the pleasure to see bucks doing this under my stands. I believe I hear it so much due to buck/doe ratio's in the big woods. Creates more competition being so close to even.

This can be the most effective call you can use, second to rattling. Gene Wensel touts the snort weeze strongly. It is basically a "hey buddy, get any closer and I am going to kick your butt". The buck must have a more aggressive personality and dominant place in the herd. Consequently it spooks them much of the time. When it works it is awesome. I had a buck decoy out in a food plot. A shooter came in the far corner and stared at the decoy. I snort weezed with my mouth and he strutted in stiff legged, ears back, puffed up with that "oh you think so huh" posture. Try it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've also used it successfully when I've had the decoy out. Biggest buck I've shot came to it late October had doe decoy last few minutes of shooting light and heard him in the thick stuff and snorted and he came puffed up nose to nose to the decoy only time I've had a buck approach head on using decoy as a doe

Last edited:
I can't say I've heard it in the wild, but I have used the call successfully. I generally don't blindly snort wheeze and instead just do rattle/grunt sequences to try and draw something in. I go to the snort wheeze when a buck is in sight but hanging up or on a doe and not interested in checking out my grunts or doe bleats. One time last season I successfully pulled a buck away from a doe he was chasing when the grunting at him wasn't enough. I've also chased inferior bucks off by doing it. My experience is all whitetail here in Nebraska and all during November.

OP
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I was pretty aggressive with the calls this year with little success. I don't have a snort wheeze though. I've... developed a little spot in big woods on public ground and am definitely going to do this next rut!

PA 5-0

WKR
It is a great call in the right situation: calling to a dominant buck. If it spooks the buck you're calling to, it is good news because it means there's a bigger buck in ur area. I have heard it a lot in Illinois, Ohio and this year in Iowa. Got it on video a couple times. All in the rut weeks. In Ohio a couple years back, I had the coolest encounter where a 140" 10pt was coming in to rattlin and snort wheezed, so I did it back when he hung up. It was one of those deathly quiet mornings. We then had a couple minute exchange doing it back and forth to each other. Coolest thing ever. I had a big boy do it several times this Nov in Iowa strutting into my buck decoy.

I just do it out of my mouth. No need to pay $15 for a ten cent plastic tube. The Can is still my favorite though.

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I have not heard it but the call does work. I was hunting last weekend and had a small 8 rubbing in mid January I snort weezed at him while he was rubbing and believe it or not he came in looking around the creek bottom. He wasn't aggressive just wanting to see what was going.

LaGriz

WKR
Only once,
1990's November bowhunt in central Mass. Walked into a bedding area in the total dark to get to my lock-on I placed the previous afternoon. Sign was everywhere in this honey hole. I heard movement and made a "blat blat" call with my mouth. I was scared big time when he snort wheezed at 20 yards and bolted! He repeated the call pounding his front hooves as he ran, as if to say "Who the hell do you think you are coming in here." Deer were running in all directions. Almost got run over by a doe trying to escape. I remember the white throat patch coming directly at me, avoiding me in the last 25' or so! Later that morning had a coyote come in at 40yds, and a 3X4 young buck pass behind the stand just one hour later. All that action and no shot!

To this day have not had a better day in the whitetail woods.
LaGriz

neverquit

WKR
I have heard coues bucks .do it once or twice while moving thru thick cover.

But this Jan I had a nice mule deer buck at 40y let out a long snort wheeze . He had had pushed his does right into me me at mid day. I let out the longest burp I could muster while hiding behind a huge boulder. He wheezed. Then he let out a long grunt. I didn't respond to ether. I'm not sure if he was mad or curious But he came strait to me. By the time he saw me I was drawn anchored and had my 40pin on his heart.