Snow Shoes or Skis?

AZ Vince

WKR
Howdy all,

Planning a backcountry backpack hunt for elk next year if I get lucky enough to get drawn in Arizona.

My question: Snow shoes or cross country skis? Looking at snow on the ground and being further back than most folks. My snow experience is minimal so I'm asking. Thank you for the help.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I grew up living and hunting in AZ and honestly never needed either. What season and where might I ask? Gaitors is all I've ever used. Late rifle was only a few inches of snow almost anywhere on the Rim

I need to be filled in on this as well. Ive only been backpack hunting for the last 5 years, & for 3 outta 5 of those years I got snow but not so much that I lost the trail. This year was different. The trail was completely covered, it took me 9 hours to hike 6 miles. I had about 10 inches of snow in the back of my p.u. but my boots never sank more than 2 inches on the hike out. It took me twice as long to hike that trail as what it normally does. It took so long cuz I had to stop & rest a lot more than usual. The snow wore me out. Is this normal, or am I just that outta shape? Would snowshoes help? I was in the army stationed in Germany 25 years ago & I don't remember the snow wearing me out like this. Also I live @ 450 ft. in Cali. I hunt @ about 8000 ft. What do you guys think? Or do you think I just answered my own questions? What about snowshoes?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
From my experience and IMO opinion 10 inches or less snowshoes would just add further work to the hike. Yes they float but they add extra weight and are cumbersome. Tabulate this times thousands of steps and I think your much better off if only sinking a few inches w/out them than with. Snow adds extra friction, balance, traction and resistance issues so yes it adds10-40% more work to each step depending on grade,terrain, depth and type of snow. It is is also easier to get dehydrated in these conditions with the added exertion and due to the cold you may not see all the sweat. Either with or without snow shoes trekking poles help a lot in these conditions both for balance and leverage.

wyodan

WKR
I agree with Ross, I have found very few occasions while hunting that snowshoes would help including deer season this year where we received 14+ inches of snow. That said, IMO you can cover ground better using skis, but have more manueverability with snowshoes. I have been looking at getting a set of these for playing in the backcountry during the winter: http://altaiskis.com/products/the-hok/ With these you should get the best of both worlds.

muleman

WKR
Unless I'm in 18 or so inches of snow; I do neither. After 18 inches I use snow shoes. As far as skis go, try using ski and skin to climb a steep brush covered hill. A lot more work than just climbing it on foot, unless the snow is deep enough to cover all the branches. With snow shoes you will be able to use your normal boots in the bindings. With skis you normally use a dedicated boot depending on the binding. The Altai universal binding mentioned above might work depending on if your boots are flexible enough.

When the snow starts to get deep enough to warrant snow shoes, the elk in my area have decided to start moving to winter ground. I only spent one day hunting high for elk in deep snow after only cutting one elk track. All the elk had already moved to winter ground. First rule of elk hunting is go where the elk are. So you may find yourself way back in there way past all the hunters and elk if there is a lot of snow on the ground.

chindits

WKR
I know you speak of AZ, but High country early season snow in my neck of the woods (CO) is deceptive. Early season snow in this part of the Rockies has no base and it is just dry powder. By early season I mean Oct-Dec. With no base, you will sink right in to the powder and in the majority of places skis or snowshoes will not help. You will sink through that powder and damage that gear. Maybe up real high 12K+ and on the north slopes you will find 3' or more of snow that will start compressing a base layer so you can stay above all the rocks and ground debris. Of course the critters will be long gone except the few that hang through out the winter on the wind blown mountain slopes.

Not to be a pest but why?

I've xc skied, backcountry skied with skins and snow shoed.....snow shoes are hands down easier to maneuver with, easier to throw on a pack, and in my opinion safer. Take a pair, but odds are you won't need'em.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up doing both and if say unless your planning to cover a lot of flat ground, go snow shoes. Pending how firm the snow is, you can generally travel faster and more efficiently on skis but xc skis would sink pretty bad unless the snow is firm enough to walk on. You would need wider backcountry skis. I'd also say that skis require more experience than snowshoes, especially if there are some up/downhills.

And like others have mentioned. Traveling with skis strapped to a backpack is pretty annoying compared to snow shoes.

OP
A

AZ Vince

WKR
Thanks all.
I can recall two early snow storms in the area where snow shoes or skis would've helped but that's over a thirty year period, or more. I'll probably pick up a pair of snow shoes this winter and start learning how to use them, JIC.

Less then 12 inches of snow I would use neither, over 12 definitely snow shoes. If the terrain is relatively flat you can cover some ground quick with skis but if it's hilly skis suck with a pack on. Going up is a lot of work and coming down is dangerous if you are packing a heavy load.

I've done both and deal with snow every year. I was just up in 16 - 18 inches of snow last weekend.

Snow is just plain harder to walk in, it's worse than walking on deep, loose sand and just plain takes a lot more time and work to walk through. So be patient and give yourself extra time to get where you are going. Don't get worked up into a sweat and don't get yourself exhausted.

Unless it his 2 feet deep, I don't bother with shoes and prefer shoes over skis for hunting. Bad thing about shoes is they have to be pretty fair sized in order to work over a wide range of conditions. The little cute ones only really work for wet and heavy snow.