Snow Shoes

CorbLand

WKR
Pretty good deal on a set of snow shoes for anyone that is looking for a pair. I dont know anything about snow shoes but have always wanted to get a pair so I pulled the trigger. Reviews for these are pretty good with the main common complaint was the bindings. Figured they would be a good set for what I need and wanted to pass it along.

I havent gotten them yet but did get tracking information within 48 hours of ordering which was late Friday night.

gotbull

FNG
I also know nothing about snowshoes but had to try these.
Thanks for the heads up

They look way too small for an adult to me.
Hard to tell for sure from the ad.
of course the snow conditions vary a lot , I am in the interior of Alaska
with dry , powdery snow!

Last edited:
Hope these work out for you guys that tried them. Maybe if you don't use them that often they will be fine but the Wrapp Tail Bindings are comeplete junk.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
They look way too small for an adult to me.
Hard to tell for sure from the ad.
of course the snow conditions vary a lot , I am in the interior of Alaska
with dry , powdery snow!
They have three different sizes, 23,26, and 30. There is a weight to size chart on Atlas website.

Hope these work out for you guys that tried them. Maybe if you don't use them that often they will be fine but the Wrapp Tail Bindings are comeplete junk.
The bindings was the common complaint in the reviews I read but in my research, granted it wasnt days worth, most entry level sub 120 dollar snowshoes have a similar binding. Short of buying snowshoes that are 2X as much, it didnt seem like there was a way around it.

Last edited:
The bindings was the common complaint in the reviews I read but in my research, granted it wasnt days worth, most entry level sub 120 dollar snowshoes have a similar binding. Short of buying snowshoes that are 2X as much, it didnt seem like there was a way around it.
You can get a pair of cheap Retrospec's that are 30" with double ratchet bindings for under $100. They aren't top of the line but will last years for guys that only use them a couple times a year.

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
You can get a pair of cheap Retrospec's that are 30" with double ratchet bindings for under $100. They aren't top of the line but will last years for guys that only use them a couple times a year.
Good to know, if these dont work out, I will give those a look.

dryfly101

Lil-Rokslider
Good deals here. My vote is for some Tubbs like these that are a steal at $65. Although they aren't rachet rear bindings either. Come to think of it, my Tubbs are bound to wear out at some point, right?

Edit: There are trail type snowshoes that are made for groomed trails and larger off-trail type for powder and unpacked snow. Also I've seen tiny ones for running. It depends on the intended use, but I think you want the right type for your purpose despite weight ratings. Just something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Beware of the weight ratings!
They are VERY optimistic !

I have been using snowshoes for 50+ years
I use the MSR brand now

Last edited:
Keep an eye out for the vintage Sherpa Claw brand on auction sites.
They went out of business a few years back. They were well made
and worked well in some conditions!
We always kept a pair strapped to the wing strut on our ski planes.
Really helped when you landed in a spot that was bottomless and the wingtip
was in the snow!!😁

Ucsdryder

WKR
This picture was a few weeks ago. Started knee deep and ended up being waist deep. It effing sucked! Recommendations for a value set of shoes? I’m 185 pounds. With a heavy pack call it 250ish. Always off trail in Colorado powdery snow. IMG_0270.jpeg

The only ones I can personally recommend are MSR Lightning Accent.,
and add the 6” accessory tails on the 30 “ version
I haven’t used any of the knockoffs that are available.
Again, keep searching the classified and auction sites for used
Sherpas Claw brand. Not the Yukon Charley Brand Sherpa model!

OP
CorbLand

CorbLand

WKR
This picture was a few weeks ago. Started knee deep and ended up being waist deep. It effing sucked! Recommendations for a value set of shoes? I’m 185 pounds. With a heavy pack call it 250ish. Always off trail in Colorado powdery snow. View attachment 641193
If you search "snow shoe" there are a couple threads with recommendations. The MSR Lightening Ascents are by far the most recommended but come at a price tag of nearly 400 bucks. Depends on what you define as value. I am taking the risk on these because I needed a pair for my wife and I, which will really only be used for hiking FS roads around the house in the winter. Didnt need anything serious. If I wanted something more serious, I would probably look into the ones Smithjd posted.

I'm selling some snow shoes in the classifieds. These were very nice back when my wife and I were living in Colorado.

It looks like y'all are finding some really good deals so I'll need to do some research and make sure my price is reasonable. I'm open to offers. I just know these will cost a little to ship so I don't want to give them away.

GotDraw?

WKR
Beware of the weight ratings!
They are VERY optimistic !

I have been using snowshoes for 50+ years
I use the MSR brand now

I AGREE, snowshoe load ratings are very optimistic and I also use MSRs. Lightening Ascents. Fabulous snowshoes but I do wish I bought one size longer for more floatation and I'd encourage others to do the same.

JL

grainhog

FNG
The lightning ascents are impressive. I have several hundred miles on a pair I got for about $225 three years ago. The heel risers, aggressive crampons, and relative light weight enable them to climb gnarly stuff, and they really cut down on the energy expenditure and injury potential relative to postholing.

I just bought my wife the MSR revo explore for milder terrain for $200 on sale. Hope they're half as good.

Next I plan to try these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325503345593

Cuz...if you're on snow, you really should be able to slide back down the mountain.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
Good deals here. My vote is for some Tubbs like these that are a steal at $65. Although they aren't rachet rear bindings either. Come to think of it, my Tubbs are bound to wear out at some point, right?

Edit: There are trail type snowshoes that are made for groomed trails and larger off-trail type for powder and unpacked snow. Also I've seen tiny ones for running. It depends on the intended use, but I think you want the right type for your purpose despite weight ratings. Just something to be aware of.

I bought these a few weeks ago

Douglasr

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty good deal on a set of snow shoes for anyone that is looking for a pair. I dont know anything about snow shoes but have always wanted to get a pair so I pulled the trigger. Reviews for these are pretty good with the main common complaint was the bindings. Figured they would be a good set for what I need and wanted to pass it along.

I havent gotten them yet but did get tracking information within 48 hours of ordering which was late Friday night.
Pretty sure I have these same shoes.
They’re better than your boots, but nothing compared to a/t skis.
A/t skis are what you think snow shoes would be.