SO Cimarron hot tent

RCB

WKR
Did some math and the "lightweight" Cimmaron for what I'd get is gonna be 8.125 lb and $1225! Thinking this is a hidden weight when looking at these off the bat & going deep.
  • Tipi 3 lb 7 oz (55oz)
  • Full Liner 19 oz (or 20oz with cone) - Liner seems required for condensation & 2 people in there
  • Large std. stove + Chimney (6’) 35oz + 12oz (I picked this for longevity, not spending this for it to break)
    • OR Medium U turn + Chimney (6’) 23oz + 9 oz
  • Tyvek Ground cloth 8oz

Plus a saw - 5 oz
This has probably been said, but I don’t know why you’d need a liner and a ground cloth. For your area, I’d skip the liner, though I’ve never dealt with the condensation from two people. And lighter ground cloth might be an option.

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Ryan, that makes good sense! Thank you for explaining that. Knowing that design tradeoff makes the decision to stick with silnylon make a lot more sense. Out of curiosity, what kinds of winds have you tested the Cimmaron (in different materials and silnylon) out to? Most of my campsites are in the trees, but I have one winter trip a year that puts me above tree line, and I’ve never brought my Cimmaron because we’ve run into extreme winds a few times, but our alternative mountaineering tent is extremely heavy.
Yeah! It's tough with fabrics because there is always a trade off. It worth mentioning that every year we probably test out 3 new fabrics. Everything from 7 D Silnylon which is kind of a dyneema comp weight wise to some of the new dyneema variants and we haven't really found anything that we would feel comfortable replacing the stuff we have but thats not to say its not out there. It also comes down to how things are sewn.

We have had the Cimarron out in 60 mph gusts here in Grand Junction and in the case of a failure it is usually the pole which is by design as its easier to replace than the tent, at least in the field.

Yeah! It's tough with fabrics because there is always a trade off. It worth mentioning that every year we probably test out 3 new fabrics. Everything from 7 D Silnylon which is kind of a dyneema comp weight wise to some of the new dyneema variants and we haven't really found anything that we would feel comfortable replacing the stuff we have but thats not to say its not out there. It also comes down to how things are sewn.

We have had the Cimarron out in 60 mph gusts here in Grand Junction and in the case of a failure it is usually the pole which is by design as its easier to replace than the tent, at least in the field.
Hopefully you find something with enough elasticity to handle wind but less moisture sag than the silnylon! Until then, I’ll be a little less frustrated when I wake up to a saggy tent, knowing it’s the price of better wind performance.

Noted on 60 mph. I may try the Cimmaron next year, if the forecast is good. We’ve seen over 100 multiple times now, but have always managed to find a protective spot to pitch the tents.

When will we see one of the new floors for the Cimmaron?

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
It is the forever quest haha! As for the floors, I would say probably summer time. We have a couple of other things we are working on but those are very high on the list.

It is the forever quest haha! As for the floors, I would say probably summer time. We have a couple of other things we are working on but those are very high on the list.
I’ll put it on my Christmas list, along with the glass stove door! Even though it might negate the benefits of my U-Turn…

Been running a cimarron and stove for probably 8 years now. You will never be disappointed if you bring the stove. If you leave it you may. I burn mine before I go to bed and when I get up. Makes a big difference in my motivation to get out of bed. And gets rid of the condensation which a huge bonus

Gotcha_

FNG
This has probably been said, but I don’t know why you’d need a liner and a ground cloth. For your area, I’d skip the liner, though I’ve never dealt with the condensation from two people. And lighter ground cloth might be an option.
condensation is the #1 issue I'm seeing. CO front ranger here and set up this brand new tent during a recent dump of rain->freezing rain->heavy snow. Have some pictures to share about how it did through the storm. Material is 30D silnylon.

IMG_8750.jpg
Here, the tarp looks like it was sagging a ton but the weight of the snow actually pushed the carbon pole into the ground. IMG_8755.jpg
After knocking off snow, this is the base. smaller than the no snow base but good enough. Happy with the bounce back for how much sagging was supposed to happen. I think this was a good display of what a soaked silnylon cloth would sag.
IMG_8760.jpg
IMG_8762.jpg
Now talking condensation. I did not sleep in this tent at all overnight. Low around 30F. Rain did not help but set down tent before it started raining at ~45F. Lots of condensation on outer wall. Liner pic (white) is clear that it traps over 70% of condensation between the outer wall and liner though some condensation still on inside (light water spots are inside, dark are outside). Definitely a "better than" situation and not perfect. It seems to me like you have 2 options when using this and inside it all night; 1-bring a microfiber towel & risk the sleeping bag getting wet for saving 20oz or 2-double liner and get significantly less wet. Stove covers morning/evening but not middle of the night for condensation. At this point not sure how condensation wouldn't be a consistent thought but the footprint is large enough for 2 people to not be a huge concern.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Condensation can be controlled in most scenarios by raising one side allowing air to move in. However in a scenario like you just showed with heavy snow the entire bottom would end up being sealed off preventing air flow and allowing condensation to build up. I understand the point of liners if your expecting significant snow, however for most fall dates just by raising the pitch you can prevent it and save some weight.

A lot of factors to consider when trying to mitigate condensation.

My SO had a lot of sag. Will be trying a SilPoly fabric tent going forward.

ID_Matt

WKR
While not as popular as the seek outside and other stove options check out Lite outdoors. I’ve had pretty good luck with mine and it’s lighter/costs less than some of the other stoves out there. The cimmaron isn’t a huge area to heat so a small stove can go a long way. The stove setup can be frustrating at first but once you figure out how to set it up with practice it’s not too bad. I think my entire setup is at or just over 5 1/2 lbs.

Also if I bring a stove I skip out on the liner. Sure some condensation will build up but burn it off with the stove and vent properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 on the lite outdoors. Quite a bit lighter than most while still being long enough to fit larger pieces of wood in and not spending so much time breaking/sawing.

I'm not a big fan of pyramid and tipi shelters except for dedicated snow camping, where you can dig out extra room in the snow below the shelter. In most other scenarios they are simply an inefficient use of space, although I think the Cimarron does a better job than most in that regard.

My attitude changes when a stove is thrown into the mix. Besides snow camping, a stove is when a mid comes into its own. I would only choose a Cimarron or other pyramid tent during hunting season if I was bringing a stove.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I hear that the stove cant run overnight, and when the stove isnt running it picks up condensation like a sponge, especially in cold temps where it calls for this setup. So I'm thinking unless youre stoaking the fire every 2 hours, the condensation will be too much to be a 'non issue' and a liner is necessary, especially if youre in a down bag.
Most shells on good down bags have a higher hydrostatic head rating than the material the Cimarron is made out of. It's a nothing burger

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk