So I got a smoker

What temp and is there smokers that do?
My Masterbuilt gravity charcoal smoker will go all the way up to 700 degrees for searing etc, and regular grilling as well as smoking. I have a decent grill as well for the hot grilling stuff, so only use the high temps when I want to burn stuff off the inside.

I’ve wondered about the cybersecurity of this feature too. Now you have a device that produces fire located near your house and can be controlled by someone with (hacked) access to your wifi.
It’s not internet connected wifi on mine. Just a wireless connection between my phone and the grill. I barely use it. My thermapen is way more accurate than those factory probes.

Do yourself a favor, beef cheeks.

Or, just do the entire head!

We raise a few beef cows. Most folks just discard the head. There are pounds and pounds of delicious, rich meat on a cow's head. It's quite rich, so it goes a long way. The cheek is pry the largest single muscle group, but there is a lot on em.

Or, just do the entire head!

We raise a few beef cows. Most folks just discard the head. There are pounds and pounds of delicious, rich meat on a cow's head. It's quite rich, so it goes a long way. The cheek is pry the largest single muscle group, but there is a lot on em.
I knew a guy in Maine that loved moose head. Soon as anybody got a moose he would put the head on the grill. It was good.

Well no offense, but me being a pretty practical guy, that sounds like the most useless feature i could imagine. Not to mention, probably the first thing to break on that smoker.
I have a conventional type smoker (not the old school pipe offset, an insulated reverse flow vault) where you have to keep the fire going and regulate the temperature. My kids bought me a Wi-Fi unit that has a fan that helps regulate the pit temperature and probes that keeps up with the meat temperature. I can now check the temperatures while in bed on those all night brisket cooks. Priceless
The older I get the more I need sleep, all nighters trash me for several days now, the Wi-Fi is one of the best gifts I have ever received. We now know if the temperature spikes or we need to feed the fire without having to go outside every hour or less.

I recently got a Camp Chef XL Pro cabinet style, and it's great. WAY more room than the Traeger I had been using. I use it a couple times a month, or more when the salmon are in.

The Traeger pellet grill is a top notch poultry roaster, but it struggles to generate as much smoke as I'd like or to get hot enough to sear. The cabinet smoker is only for smoking, but the little pull-out drawer to add chips and chunks makes a huge difference for me personally.

Wi-Fi is one of the best gifts I have ever received.

I agree with previous poster on Wi-fi. You want that if you want to sleep. Bluetooth is not an acceptable substitute. ThermoWorks (for example) makes some good wifi enabled pit thermometers. Easy to add afterwards.

If you need some BBQ recipes ideas go to BBQ Pit Boys. Lots of side recipes along with a variety of different sauces to make.

Never had a pellet. I see their ease of use but enjoy the intention and process of the offset and kamado. Bought a Yoder last year and it has yet to disappoint: brisket, butt, Tri tip, bacon, chicken, turkey…

Meanwhile the KJ turns out the best damn pizzas ever at 600 deg.

Attachments

• IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 72093096709__1D80BED6-757F-4A25-A9BA-FD75A93155E2.jpeg
    72093096709__1D80BED6-757F-4A25-A9BA-FD75A93155E2.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5918.jpeg
    IMG_5918.jpeg
    645.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 71297460096__A3ABE5D1-3A99-434B-BA38-CBDBBC5453C7.jpeg
    71297460096__A3ABE5D1-3A99-434B-BA38-CBDBBC5453C7.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 71245763955__4B9F9524-2850-43C7-886E-6D96DF05D36B.jpeg
    71245763955__4B9F9524-2850-43C7-886E-6D96DF05D36B.jpeg
    373.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 71245895500__DA9015D5-1247-4F39-9EA0-8E54639EE0AB.jpeg
    71245895500__DA9015D5-1247-4F39-9EA0-8E54639EE0AB.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 37
I have a CampChef woodwind 36. It’s pretty simple to use and does a great job. I use it 2-3 times a week in the summer and about once a week during the winter. I have a heat blanket they sell for it for the winter to hold the heat better. I’ve done all kinds of red meat, chicken, fish, and pork dishes. Lots of vegetables, jalepeno poppers, casseroles, pie, beans, sausage, jerky, pizza. It doesn’t cook with a real thick heavy smoke. I like a cleaner lighter smoked end product. If I want more smoke then I had a smoke tube. If I had the money I would get a Yoder.

Never had a pellet. I see their ease of use but enjoy the intention and process of the offset and kamado. Bought a Yoder last year and it has yet to disappoint: brisket, butt, Tri tip, bacon, chicken, turkey…

Meanwhile the KJ turns out the best damn pizzas ever at 600 deg.
This....

I have almost as many grills/smokers as I do rifles. I have a pellet and for practical purposes it's fine but lacks alot of flavor. It's nice to throw a butt on and not have to feed a fire but they are smokey ovens at the very best. They do alot of things mediocre but nothing exceptionally well. There no substitute for 1/4" (or more) steel welded offset texas pit burning wood for smoking or ripping super hot temps with lump on a kettle/kamado which a pellet cant do either. I get the fad, it's easy and to some it's impressive but stick burners are still king for real smoke and probably will be for my lifetime anyway.

Love my Recteq pellet grill/smoker. Use it for everything I dont use the blackstone for or vice versa. Got rid of my gas grill. Can cook low and slow (smoke) or high and fast (hot). Pellets are cheaper than propane for me and easier to maintain without flareups.

I have a conventional type smoker (not the old school pipe offset, an insulated reverse flow vault) where you have to keep the fire going and regulate the temperature. My kids bought me a Wi-Fi unit that has a fan that helps regulate the pit temperature and probes that keeps up with the meat temperature. I can now check the temperatures while in bed on those all night brisket cooks. Priceless
The older I get the more I need sleep, all nighters trash me for several days now, the Wi-Fi is one of the best gifts I have ever received. We now know if the temperature spikes or we need to feed the fire without having to go outside every hour or less.
Lol, im a bit different than most i imagine. As i age i find myself looking for LESS technology and modern gadgets tbh. My wife thinks im joking when i tell her im getting rid of my Iphone, im not. Ive also asked my son to become an engineer, get a job at Ford, and design an F150 classic that comes with ZERO electronic/blue tooth/touch screens etc. Ive even requested he install roll up windows like the truck i drove when i was 17. Imagine, a brand new truck with zero circuit boards or software to go haywire.

Im not built like most nowadays so understand, that is where im coming from when discussing Wifi on something like a smoker, lol. Not trying to dismiss or belittle those that embrace all of it i just despise it all and think its ruining the world, lol. All i see is another headache from yet another piece of tech destined to fail in under 5 years thus disabling a perfectly good smoker that provided minimal benefit in the first place.

Back