SO tipi struggling with the lack of a floor

TheGDog

WKR
PLEASE FORGIVE ALL THE QUESTIONS HERE:
So these floorless enclosures intrigue me. I'm having a hard time understanding what advantages they offer? I'm looking at this from the aspect of being a solo hunter. And, usually don't have anything nearby to tie a guy wire onto.

So... re: insects (the place I go to has a lot of these large black ants that emerge after dark, and tear apart plant matter that has fallen to the ground. And some kinds of flying insects that still seek you out that stay awake at night)... you gentleman that go this floorless route... is that when you opt to get a "nest" or a mosquito net for inside the tipi/floorless enclosure? Or do you just notice the insect don't seem to come in all that much or..?...what?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what makes these kinds of enclosures more desirable? What circumstances make these a better choice?

Where would any weight savings come into play? I'm assuming the lack of tent poles is where any weight savings would occur, yes? Is the deal that for the same amount of weight, you get more room inside? Is that the allure?

Also... do these tipi's always require that you find some kind of branch to prop it up with in the middle, whenever you reach a destination to setup camp at? (Often not much around but Greasewoods or Oaks where I go)

Sorry to bother with lotsa of questions. Just wanna ask because ya never know, might be a solution in there that saves a buncha weight or something.

Voyageur

WKR
Most tipis come with their own aluminum or carbon center pole. For me the tipi is best during the cooler/colder months when the stove is used. During the warmer months I've got double wall tents that I feel work better. Just my opinon. I'm sure others feel differently.

TheGDog

WKR
Oh ok... yeah.. so that's a non-issue for me anyway. Legally can't use anything like that out here anyway due to fire danger. So if that's the only reason to go for one, then cool, I'm better off without one. Thx

Mansfield Outdoors

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
The floor vs. floorless question doesn't have to be an either/or choice. Tentipi's Nordic tipi tents come floorless for the lightest configuration, but offer many different floor and inner-tent options which provide a great deal of versatility to the user.

There are times when car/truck camping where weight is rather unimportant. In these situations a full floor can be nice, an inner-tent even nicer. Tentipi's floors have "O", "V", and U" shape zipper opening configurations built into them which enable the use of a wood stove (or open fire) inside the tent, while simultaneously enabling the vapor barrier and moisture protection of a floor covering the bedding areas.

Check out the full line of Tentipi tents - including optional floors and inner-tents at www.mansfieldoutdoors.com.

I tie a prusik knot to the top of the pole, then run two sections of paracord to the end of a stake in the ground inside the tipi. Clip in 3-4 carabiners on each line and I hang clothes, blankets, towels, etc... on them to keep them off the ground. Works like a champ!

FlyGuy

WKR
I tie a prusik knot to the top of the pole, then run two sections of paracord to the end of a stake in the ground inside the tipi. Clip in 3-4 carabiners on each line and I hang clothes, blankets, towels, etc... on them to keep them off the ground. Works like a champ!

That’s a great idea! I use a prusik just to hang a tent light on but never thought to do that! And I’ve ruined a base layer before hanging it from the very top and it hitting the hot stove pipe. Definitely going to do this.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Voyageur

WKR
I'm going to be redundant and say this is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Teejay

FNG
Are there any hang loops stitched into the interior of SO tents? anything to string lines to or hook a bivy or inner tent?

When all the cool kids started getting tipis, I too figured I needed one! I am a bit of a tent junky and own half dozen tents of all styles. The lack of a floor concerned me as I hate being in the dirt or having dirty gear. If I were to get a tipi I would buy a nest or some type of floor. I have a custom burlap floor for my wall tent.

Poser

WKR
When all the cool kids started getting tipis, I too figured I needed one! I am a bit of a tent junky and own half dozen tents of all styles. The lack of a floor concerned me as I hate being in the dirt or having dirty gear. If I were to get a tipi I would buy a nest or some type of floor. I have a custom burlap floor for my wall tent.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I personally love my cimarron. The floorless I really like for backcountry hunts for the simplicity of setup, weight, heat, and ability to setup on rougher terrain. I'm not sure what the deal is with everyone being scared of dirt. Your out on a mountain hunting. Your going to get dirty hunting.

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
I personally love my cimarron. The floorless I really like for backcountry hunts for the simplicity of setup, weight, heat, and ability to setup on rougher terrain. I'm not sure what the deal is with everyone being scared of dirt. Your out on a mountain hunting. Your going to get dirty hunting.

Yep.

Glamour camping = glamping. Glamour hunting = glunting.

Lots of glunters out there.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
PLEASE FORGIVE ALL THE QUESTIONS HERE:
So these floorless enclosures intrigue me. I'm having a hard time understanding what advantages they offer? I'm looking at this from the aspect of being a solo hunter. And, usually don't have anything nearby to tie a guy wire onto.

So... re: insects (the place I go to has a lot of these large black ants that emerge after dark, and tear apart plant matter that has fallen to the ground. And some kinds of flying insects that still seek you out that stay awake at night)... you gentleman that go this floorless route... is that when you opt to get a "nest" or a mosquito net for inside the tipi/floorless enclosure? Or do you just notice the insect don't seem to come in all that much or..?...what?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what makes these kinds of enclosures more desirable? What circumstances make these a better choice?

Where would any weight savings come into play? I'm assuming the lack of tent poles is where any weight savings would occur, yes? Is the deal that for the same amount of weight, you get more room inside? Is that the allure?

Also... do these tipi's always require that you find some kind of branch to prop it up with in the middle, whenever you reach a destination to setup camp at? (Often not much around but Greasewoods or Oaks where I go)

Sorry to bother with lotsa of questions. Just wanna ask because ya never know, might be a solution in there that saves a buncha weight or something.

This is a good primer that will cover the major issues.

I have a stable of tents.

Floorless with a stove.

Nest or floored tent when buggy.

I like my floorless a lot. Having said that, I have a spot in WY where the best, most unobtrusive camping spot is a dust bowl. I use a floored tent there that I keep buttoned up regardless of temp. I hump the extra weight In tent and bag to try to minimize sleeping in dirt flour.

Different gear for different situations.

For me it isn’t dirt - it’s the damn condensation. At least in my experience, pitching it up doesn’t make a difference. Come morning the walls are soaked and you hope you don’t have some of your bag touching the tent walls.

Which negates the “space” argument for me. If I can’t use the edge space for anything I don’t want to get soaked, then I’m losing a ton of area.

You can bring liners, and I’ve heard a full floor cuts down on condensation but again, now you’re losing the weight advantage.

Im sure in the right environments they’re awesome, but in the areas I hunt it’s just easier to bring a double wall shelter.

You could try a light weight bivy. Can I ask what tipi that is? Four of us are thinking of getting packed in and we talked about a tipi. Thanks

chindits

WKR
I’ve used a duomid for over 6 years now. It’s floor less and I use it when ever there isn’t a chance of snow. So all summer and most the fall till Novemberish.

I’m in the Rocky Mountains year round and night time bugs aren’t an issue to me. I’m only in the tent to sleep, so I really don’t know what you guys are doing in your tents that gets everything dusty and dirty. Maybe think about your tent location before you pitch it, but even above timberline I don’t have dust and dirt issues with all that wind. I pitch high so there is plenty of airflow coming in at ground level. Condensation isn’t an issue for me.

However, I don’t have a dirt, bug, rodent phobia. When I’m glassing in the morning and it warms up and the critters bed down, so do I, right where I’m glassing in the dirt, no pad, no ground cloth. If you all remember your infantry days, the dirt is just dirt.

You could try a light weight bivy. Can I ask what tipi that is? Four of us are thinking of getting packed in and we talked about a tipi. Thanks

That was another option I considered, but again, you’re just piling on more weight. I’m sitting at 2lb 12oz with stakes. Add an additional 8-10oz and we’re well into 3lbs and the edges still aren’t usable.

Hell even running the stove at full blast the upper 2/3rds of the shelter are dry but the lower third is a lost cause... and this is running the stove at a level where it’s easily 90-100+ inside so it’s not like it’s comfortable at all.

It’s a Seek Outside Cimmaron. Again, it’s not anything to do with the construction, it’s more to do with the conditions and areas I hunt. I’m sure if I tried it out in CO, WY or the drier areas of MT or ID it might be okay.

I’m just at the point where nearly every other shelter I have would get the nod before this one would.

HoneyDew

WKR
That was another option I considered, but again, you’re just piling on more weight. I’m sitting at 2lb 12oz with stakes. Add an additional 8-10oz and we’re well into 3lbs and the edges still aren’t usable.

Hell even running the stove at full blast the upper 2/3rds of the shelter are dry but the lower third is a lost cause... and this is running the stove at a level where it’s easily 90-100+ inside so it’s not like it’s comfortable at all.

It’s a Seek Outside Cimmaron. Again, it’s not anything to do with the construction, it’s more to do with the conditions and areas I hunt. I’m sure if I tried it out in CO, WY or the drier areas of MT or ID it might be okay.

I’m just at the point where nearly every other shelter I have would get the nod before this one would.
Out of curiosity where are you using the Cimarron that it’s so problematic?