Solar charger recommendations

I’ll be headed to Alaska for a two week moose hunt this fall. What are you all using for solar panels to charge small items. I will have a power bank also and need something that packs well . Thanks guys.

Was just going to ask the same question for the same reason - figured I'd bring your thread to the top and we can both learn something!

Backyard

WKR
You're going to get every type of answer ranging from "solar chargers don't work at all", and "it's too cloudy to get a charge" to "this is the best thing since the mouse trap".
Here's mine:
Goal Zero Nomad 10 works great for me. I leave it plugged into my charge stick all day in the sun, when I get back in the evening, it's at full charge. Hasn't failed me yet in the 6 years I've had it. The whole system, panel and charge stick weighs in at 16 oz.

Good on your hunt, sounds fun!

CO-AJ

WKR
I too have looked at this, there are hundreds out there. I visited a few backpacking gear review websites and they all have different brands on their top lists. Goal Zero almost always has a model or two, so I am thinking from a manufacturer standpoint Goal Zero is likely the way to go.

Vandy321

WKR
I have a renogy. Could just be mine, but it's really finicky...seems to just not work half the time even when it's in direct sunlight, it'll just stop charging. Could be something I'm missing, or its slowly dying. But I wont rely on mine as a sole means of powering my inReach

AKSandman

FNG
I have used RAV power (28 watt) and Nomad 10. Both work well, but the rav is lighter weight per watt of output (by almost double) and if you are on a moose hunt in September and actually need your solar panels to charge stuff, you will want the larger panels. Depending on latitude of your hunting area, even In early September you will see a marked decrease in solar efficiency (low sun angle on the horizon) and by late September it will be even less efficient even on sunny days. For that reason, I personally use the RAV in Alaska.

no matter what solar charger you get, proper panel angle will increase your charging capability by upwards of 15% so educating yourself in that matter helps significantly increase solar power production in the less than ideal latitudes of Alaska.