Solid 2 Pin Slider

Best Dual Pin Slider for Whitetails

• Total voters

Long Cut

WKR
Looking into either a MBG Dual Trac or the Spot Hogg Hog Father in the double pin configuration.

Going to kind of be a “do all” bow, mainly a Whitetail (treestand/ground blind) with some spot and stalking involved.
I’d like to have it setup well for when I get a chance to hunt out West for Whitetail/Mule/Antelope I can comfortably stretch it out further than the 30 yard shots I’m used to here in GA.

I currently own 2 MBG sights, haven’t owned a SH sight yet. I know they’re both great companies but I’m curious which particular sight is better for my needs?

Unfortunately no place locally has the MBG Dual Trac and the SH Hog Father is hit or miss. I’d have to buy sight unseen.

I have an Axcel Landslyde with Ultraview UV3XL double pin. I have to say it's about the best I have used.

I made something similar before the landslyde was available. I put a spot Hogg double pin scope on an Accutouch.

The landslyde is a much better sight body in my opinion. I would probably get a UV3 instead of the XL if I did it all over again.
b95c37e494c58075648c03e4ee1f81a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ZDR
I use a 2 pin fast Eddie XL for exactly the use case you're talking about, tons of Iowa whitetail and a trip or two out west each year. Any 2 pin setup is really a 3-4 pin if you spend a little extra time at the range and do a little math you can use the top of the bubble and top of the sight housing for pins as well.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
I’d opt for a Tommy Hogg over the Hogg Father if going with Spot Hogg. Axcel would be another great choice. I like MBG but would opt for it 3rd.

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I’d opt for a Tommy Hogg over the Hogg Father if going with Spot Hogg. Axcel would be another great choice. I like MBG but would opt for it 3rd.

Why the Tommy over the Hogg Father? I currently have a hog father and have been thinking about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkeaton

FNG
I'd check out the MBG due to the ability to fine tune the second pin yardage. That seems like a solid and useful feature. Don't know about weight differences between setups as I don't believe the weight of the Dual Trac has been published yet. I am tempted by the Fast Eddie XL double pin though, since it is less expensive and many people have gotten along just fine without needing to fine tune that second pin...

OR Archer

WKR
Why the Tommy over the Hogg Father? I currently have a hog father and have been thinking about this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lighter for one. Solid mount with 3 mounting holes for length adjustment. Same gearing mechanism for a lot less money. The only advantage of the Hogg father is the dovetail and it’s not a real advantage for a hunting set up in my opinion.

ZDR

WKR
I really like MBG but moved to axcel when I saw the Landslyde. As @OR Archer wrote, the machining, adjustability, overall quality is just outstanding.

I think in the outright durability you can't beat either a hogg father or Tommy, I wouldn't put the Eddie series in the same level. The Axcel sights are really nice, easier to adjust, but don't have the outright durability of the SH. I don't have a lot of MBG experience, but they aren't built as heavy as either the Axcel or the SH, which does make them lighter.

If durability is top of your list, you aren't beating Tommy or Hogg Father, ease of use I think is Axcel by a slight margin.

Nothing at all wrong with MBG, but I'm hard on stuff and don't trust that I won't damage them. The trusses are built well, but the components on the slider and housing seem like they just aren't as reinforced. Fine until you fall on your bow smashing your sight housing into something, which I end up doing.

I'm not much of a fan of the Eddie series because of the plastic gears that aren't enclosed.

OP
Long Cut

Long Cut

WKR
I think in the outright durability you can't beat either a hogg father or Tommy, I wouldn't put the Eddie series in the same level. The Axcel sights are really nice, easier to adjust, but don't have the outright durability of the SH. I don't have a lot of MBG experience, but they aren't built as heavy as either the Axcel or the SH, which does make them lighter.

If durability is top of your list, you aren't beating Tommy or Hogg Father, ease of use I think is Axcel by a slight margin.

Nothing at all wrong with MBG, but I'm hard on stuff and don't trust that I won't damage them. The trusses are built well, but the components on the slider and housing seem like they just aren't as reinforced. Fine until you fall on your bow smashing your sight housing into something, which I end up doing.

I'm not much of a fan of the Eddie series because of the plastic gears that aren't enclosed.

Ive dropped a bow 20’ from a tree with a MBG Ascent, sight never lost its zero nor was damaged. I’d expect similar results from a SH but am hesitant with the Axcels

Seeknelk

WKR
Ive dropped a bow 20’ from a tree with a MBG Ascent, sight never lost its zero nor was damaged. I’d expect similar results from a SH but am hesitant with the Axcel
My buddy dropped his bow a foot or so from holding his string.( I think) Busted the MBG right in the middle. They use plastic in the main slider frame area. Wiped more than a day off the hunt. He went to a SH. Heavier but all metal. Can happen I guess.

My buddy dropped his bow a foot or so from holding his string.( I think) Busted the MBG right in the middle. They use plastic in the main slider frame area. Wiped more than a day off the hunt. He went to a SH. Heavier but all metal. Can happen I guess.
Their dials can strip too or get stuck too. It happened to me. OP you said solid, you want a Spot Hogg

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Been using HoggFather for 10 years now, on 3 different bows. Used on pack-in hunts, tough terrain, etc. No failures, very durable and quality built thru & thru.

Added a double pin housing 5 years ago, made a huge improvement. For my bow set up, 2nd pin is 15 yards difference. Successfully have made 2 shots on game using 2nd pin. No time to dial, shot opportunity happened quickly.

wayoh22

WKR
Been running single pin Fast Eddie XL for the past years without complaint. Just switched to the UV3 double pin scope and I will never go back. I honestly think it's one of the best setups. The double pin on the UV3 and UV3XL matches up perfectly to the double pin on the Fast Eddie so you don't have to adjust anything.

For reference: 500gr arrow at 80lbs and the distance I get between pins is 12yds. When hunting for whitetail I just keep my top pin on 25yds and that gets me to 40yds easily aiming slightly high for the second pin.

I have an Axcel Landslyde with Ultraview UV3XL double pin. I have to say it's about the best I have used.

I made something similar before the landslyde was available. I put a spot Hogg double pin scope on an Accutouch.

The landslyde is a much better sight body in my opinion. I would probably get a UV3 instead of the XL if I did it all over again.
b95c37e494c58075648c03e4ee1f81a2.jpg

thats a nifty setup.. Do you buy the pin housing seperatly from the slider mount?? Do you mind sharing cost on that ?

thats a nifty setup.. Do you buy the pin housing seperatly from the slider mount?? Do you mind sharing cost on that ?
I bought most of the parts used. The sight body without scope was $125. The scope housing was $50. The scope barrel and second yardage indicator was ~$25 from Axcel. I had to buy an adapter from McMaster-Carr for $10.

So, just over $210 total for the sight.