Solid reliable rings

Putting a pic rail on a new rifle. First time. I always use Talley One Piece.
Well, the scope is a heavy NF NXS on a .300wm. Not sure I trust the Talleys here.
So, I’m looking for recommendations on solid, reliable, stay tight rings.
I see some with a single cross bolt and some using a side plate and 2 screws.
This is a hunting rig.

sndmn11

WKR

packer58

WKR
I put my trust in Warne also, Maxima PA. Whichever way you choose to go I would highly recommend bedding your rail for a stress free ring / scope installment. It's a relatively easy project to do yourself or have it done, takes about an hour if you take your time.... minus cure time. Your base is your foundation for rings / scope and should be as stress free as possible. Plenty of vids on the subject to sort through.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I use nightforce with my NXS, I like a side bolt that can be torqued. You can take the scope assy off/on the rail at will and it won't change poi. The cheap 2 screw side clamp rings are not that good in my experience. The only rings worse are the vertical split rings.

I've used Seekins/Nightforce rings before. I've now used ARC rings for 5 years or so and don't plan to use another brand. The single screw on top is a lot less of a pain than other rings and they're very good at not marring my scopes.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Putting a pic rail on a new rifle. First time. I always use Talley One Piece.
Well, the scope is a heavy NF NXS on a .300wm. Not sure I trust the Talleys here.
So, I’m looking for recommendations on solid, reliable, stay tight rings.
I see some with a single cross bolt and some using a side plate and 2 screws.
This is a hunting rig.
I like the Vortex Pro rings. I flew to Texas with a rifle/rings and nothing moved. Also, they were perfectly straight. Used a Talley picatinny base.

Dharby

FNG
Not cheap but Ken Farrell rings. They are bored in pairs numbered and marked so they stayed aligned.
Years ago I was in Ken's shop many time. His design is impressive.

Rich M

WKR
I only use rails when I have to - prefer a 1 piece, integrated ring & base, or Leupold rings & mounts - sadly, that's what they offer these days.

The rails used to be called weaver rails 40 + years ago and were notorious for losing zero. I've got 2 rigs with rails (mutter, mutter) and am using Warne steel rings with 4 screws for scope and 2 screws at the rail. They hold zero well but I still don't trust em at all and baby them.