Solo Elk Hunting

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
Looking like I am pulling a solo this year to CO. Would be my second time elk hunting. Because this is my first time and I dont want to bit off more than I can chew, going to base camp from my truck and trailer.

I hear a lot of folks saying you dont have to go 10 miles deep to shoot an elk. I have shot many deer in close overlooked places where hunters walk past. Does anyone have personal experience shooting an elk within 2 miles of a trail head? Not trying to shoot a BC record, I would be happy to have a couple of encounters.

Archery, late Sept for reference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Does anyone have personal experience shooting an elk within 2 miles of a trail head?

Shot a 6-point less than 5 minutes from the truck after I started hiking in, at 1pm, last weekend of archery. In 2018 I was eating lunch in my base truck camp when a bull bugled on the ridge above my camp. I responded and then got my stuff together and then took off. In the time it took me to get everything together, unknowingly that bull had come straight down towards my camp. I literally ran right past him in the timber less than 100 yards from my camp as I headed out. In 2017 my daughter shot her big bull 1/2 mile from the truck during ML. Cover all your bases.....close and far.

luckydraw2014

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a 6-point less than 5 minutes from the truck after I started hiking in, at 1pm, last weekend of archery. In 2018 I was eating lunch in my base truck camp when a bull bugled on the ridge above my camp. I responded and then got my stuff together and then took off. In the time it took me to get everything together, unknowingly that bull had come straight down towards my camp. I literally ran right past him in the timber less than 100 yards from my camp as I headed out. In 2017 my daughter shot her big bull 1/2 mile from the truck during ML. Cover all your bases.....close and far.

that story is good enough for me!! a few years back hunting in the Shawnee in SIL, we had a 200+ WT stroll within 100 yard of our camp in the middle of the day. everyone in camp just about shitted themselves. He was shot by another hunter and went 219""

where exactly was that spot ? LOL

Beendare

WKR
Solo can be a mind game for some at first.

Experience^ builds confidence...its the old Nike line, "Just do it"

Solo doesn't bother me. I spent a lot of time doing hog depredation at night and am comfortable in my woodsmanship skills. I've had to spend a couple nights out in the woods on elk hunts when I couldn't get back to camp safely [back in the mini mag light days without dependable headlamps]

I did have one solo hunt that was pretty bad for me mentally. My 84 yr old dad had been going downhill right before the season- on Hospice, teetering. The season opened, my truck was packed, I had a pretty good draw tag........but he was right on the edge and ended up passing away a few days into the season.

After the funeral I had no desire to hunt.

My wife literally kicked me out of the house....and I drove the 20 hours in a fog. Unpacked the truck and setup camp in the pouring rain....still dragging my- you know what- in the dirt.

I forced myself to get in the woods before light and after a stiff hike and hearing that first bugle [and the second, third and fourth!] I started coming out of my fog. Then later in that hunt killing a bull down in a nasty canyon and spending from 8;30am to 9pm packing it up to the road solo.....I was still a little melancholy but finally back to my old self.

EDIT; I think my point is....get out there and just enjoy the woods. I think I look forward to walking through quiet aspen groves with a slight breeze whispering in my ear every fall as much as the hunting. Once you feel comfortable- the woods won't be anything to fear....but will be your sanctuary.
______-

Last edited:

Afhunter1

WKR
Both of the bulls I have killed were within 1.5mi of the parking lot. I have seen a lot more closer and farther. I have also seen a bull at the parking lot but he was a spike in a 4 point unit so he had no fear of anything. Ha Ha

Dschwan

WKR
Like others have said, you get out of if what you put in it. Solo hunting sucks but is also great. You go and do what you want when you want. Don't allow yourself to second guess a decision, if you do, your mind can start going to where everything sucks and your attitude falls in the toilet. Enjoy the views and each footstep. The animals move in and out of areas so be patient. This coming season will be my fifth season hunting elk and each year I tell myself this will be the year. Good Luck

I will likely be Solo archery elk hunting as well in 2020 out of necessity and partially because I want to. I have solo hunted for deer and a few days for elk before as well as some shed hunting trips. Start small do an overnight-er then build from there if possible. Maybe even start out with truck camping. It is something I am still working on for me having confidence in my ability and gear as well as the area I am hunting is huge. Good food and comfortable sleep system. Also now that I have an Inreach I wouldnt go without one, the peace of mind it gives my wife as well as some comfort for me to be able to check in with her is priceless.
My hope is I will be into such a crazy elk rut fest the days will go by quick and I will be so tired i'll sleep like a baby at night! haha!

I actually enjoy being solo and hunting at my pace and schedule. The mid day periods can be a bit boring at times, but that's the price you pay.
I've shot 2 bulls at 6 miles and a cow at 4, but I had the ability to call a packer.
Just processing an ELk by yourself can be a ton of work.

406unltd

WKR
Remembering to use terrain and or trees ect. to help bring them within bow range when setting up to call. Close encounters can be hard to come by when solo calling but that simple step has seemed to help.

Solo can be a mind game for some at first.

Experience^ builds confidence...its the old Nike line, "Just do it"

Solo doesn't bother me. I spent a lot of time doing hog depredation at night and am comfortable in my woodsmanship skills. I've had to spend a couple nights out in the woods on elk hunts when I couldn't get back to camp safely [back in the mini mag light days without dependable headlamps]

I did have one solo hunt that was pretty bad for me mentally. My 84 yr old dad had been going downhill right before the season- on Hospice, teetering. The season opened, my truck was packed, I had a pretty good draw tag........but he was right on the edge and ended up passing away a few days into the season.

After the funeral I had no desire to hunt.

My wife literally kicked me out of the house....and I drove the 20 hours in a fog. Unpacked the truck and setup camp in the pouring rain....still dragging my- you know what- in the dirt.

I forced myself to get in the woods before light and after a stiff hike and hearing that first bugle [and the second, third and fourth!] I started coming out of my fog. Then later in that hunt killing a bull down in a nasty canyon and spending from 8;30am to 9pm packing it up to the road solo.....I was still a little melancholy but finally back to my old self.

EDIT; I think my point is....get out there and just enjoy the woods. I think I look forward to walking through quiet aspen groves with a slight breeze whispering in my ear every fall as much as the hunting. Once you feel comfortable- the woods won't be anything to fear....but will be your sanctuary.
______-
That hunting trip was the best thing you could have done at that point in your life.... I have been there, my situation was more sudden, and life sucked as bad as it ever had.... I had no desire to hunt, but that's what I do that time of year.... shortly after tragedy, I took my brother and he killed a buck the first day we tried.... more somber situation than normal, but it was the best thing we could have done.... he has a bad back, so I threw the whole deer in my pack, and it felt good to have a heavy pack on, took my mind off of the rest.

couple days later I killed a buck late morning, it got hot, and it was a ways in (about 4 miles) same thing, it was a tough pack, and a heavy one, but sure a lot lighter than my thoughts were at that time.

the woods are healing, even more so when in the woods solo.... makes me wonder how people cope without that escape. it's overall satisfying pushing through solo in the woods, even when life is good. it's fun sharing the memories with others too, but I enjoy every aspect of solo hunting more than hunting with others.

we all know how hard it is to find someone to hunt with that compliments yourself too.... as hard as finding a good wife it seems.

Marble

WKR
After 20 years of elk hunting and another 10 hunting out west, I've began to thoroughly enjoy the solo adventure much more so.

There is something about the solitude and total dependency on yourself that rebuilds the spirit.

ScottinPA

WKR
Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Enjoy the experience and roll with it when schtuff happens - and it will.
This from an easterner with one solo hunt to MT. Only saw one elk and heard a few bugles but it was a great trip proving to myself that I can do this. Headed back again this year but will split between hunting with a friend that lives in the area and some solo stuff.

SoDaky

WKR
I love it.Until the bull hits the ground.The older you get,the harder the 'hit the ground' part becomes.Sadly am bearing down on my last elk hunts and they will have to be less remote or have RELIABLE packing assistance.
Garmin In Reach is a great aid in that respect.

rambo2345

WKR
I love it.Until the bull hits the ground.The older you get,the harder the 'hit the ground' part becomes.Sadly am bearing down on my last elk hunts and they will have to be less remote or have RELIABLE packing assistance.
Garmin In Reach is a great aid in that respect.