Son got his first elk!

Titan_Bow

WKR
Took advantage of the expanded youth opportunities Colorado has to offer and headed up to try and fill my sons cow tag.
Took us a few days to find them, but then we spotted a huge herd right before dark. The next morning we were headed to the same spot, but I luckily spotted them from the road, about 1.5 miles out and up on the mountain. We knew it would be tough to get to them, so I threw on the pack and we took off. We slugged through calf deep snow for a couple hours and got close, but they spotted us and headed further up and over the mountain. We were starting to feel dejected, but I decided to get up and around the ridge they were just on. As we were following their tracks, I look down and see them below us, bailing off the ridge they were just on. My son got settled on the rifle and made a perfect 200 yard shot, dropping her instantly. His first elk ever. It took us all day to get her broken down and finally packed down to the truck. It was a cold but fantastic day on the mountain!

a51dd8ff9e70eb6936cf8115a3bd623f.jpg
47682136d6b116994113ae1baa6179a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love that smile. There’s only one first. I hope he’s already dreaming of next year’s bull. Nothing like a kid sharing your passion. Congratulations!!!!!

Awesome! My first big game hunt was a late season cow Elk in nearly identical conditions with my dad when I was 14, so I know your son will remember that experience forever.