Sophomore class of Elk hunting

Trunscav

FNG
Hi everyone, I am going on my first DIY elk hunting trip to Colorado this September just like the thousands of other guys who post on this forum or other social media outlets every year. Rokslide is filled with tons of useful information and I rely on reading old posts to gather more knowledge on all aspects of western elk hunting and avoid asking generalized or “honey hole” type questions.

What I am curious about though is hearing stories from the “freshman class” of all those guys last year who went on their first western elk DIY style hunts. Did you consider your hunt to be successful whether that’s just getting out and “doing it”or harvesting an elk? Did you find useful information on forums that helped you in some way? What were your biggest challenges you encountered? Do you plan to elk hunt again this season? What do you plan to do differently on future hunts based on past ur previous success/fails?

Spence14

WKR
Last year was my first OTC Archery Elk hunt. I'll try to give you a quick list of things that worked/didn't work. We were not successful, but got into elk or heard bugles every day. A few close encounters where we made rookie mistakes could have lead to a kill by a seasoned elk hunter.

Scouting Trip - I went to the unit for a weekend in August and put as many miles as I could in several locations. I got familiar with the roads and terrain and able to see a few elk in their summer feeding grounds. Would highly recommend.

Backpacking - We packed in about 3 miles and set up a spike camp for 4 days. The last two days we truck camped and hiked into new locations. We found elk at all locations, but were 10x's more comfortable by the truck at night and being more mobile. This year i believe I will truck camp until it makes sense to pack in and get closer to the elk.

Glassing - For 4 days we hiked through timber and called. It was successful from time to time. The last two days we climbed up to a ridge at day light and dark and glassed. We saw everything from moose, elk, deer, etc. I've heard the value of glassing on these forums, but somehow didn't implement it until the end of the trip. This year I will start the trip out on a glassing knob and figure out feeding patterns and bedding first.

Elk Shape - Its no joke, coming from low elevations to 8k+ feet is tough. Take your training seriously months prior.

Gear List - One thing I really think we nailed. Let me know if you have questions and I can send a screen shot.

We saw a bull or two .25 miles from the truck, and we saw them 5 miles in. They truly are where you find them at. I will be going back this year, and every year after that if its up to me. I had a blast and loved the learning experience. Make sure your hunting partners are on the same page as you. I also would split up or only hunt in pairs.

Hi everyone, I am going on my first DIY elk hunting trip to Colorado this September just like the thousands of other guys who post on this forum or other social media outlets every year. Rokslide is filled with tons of useful information and I rely on reading old posts to gather more knowledge on all aspects of western elk hunting and avoid asking generalized or “honey hole” type questions.

What I am curious about though is hearing stories from the “freshman class” of all those guys last year who went on their first western elk DIY style hunts. Did you consider your hunt to be successful whether that’s just getting out and “doing it”or harvesting an elk? Did you find useful information on forums that helped you in some way? What were your biggest challenges you encountered? Do you plan to elk hunt again this season? What do you plan to do differently on future hunts based on past ur previous success/fails?
This is an awesome idea for a thread! I'm still working on completing my 'freshman year' so I can't offer much of a contribution, but will be tuning in for sure.

OP
Trunscav

Trunscav

FNG
Last year was my first OTC Archery Elk hunt. I'll try to give you a quick list of things that worked/didn't work. We were not successful, but got into elk or heard bugles every day. A few close encounters where we made rookie mistakes could have lead to a kill by a seasoned elk hunter.

Scouting Trip - I went to the unit for a weekend in August and put as many miles as I could in several locations. I got familiar with the roads and terrain and able to see a few elk in their summer feeding grounds. Would highly recommend.

Backpacking - We packed in about 3 miles and set up a spike camp for 4 days. The last two days we truck camped and hiked into new locations. We found elk at all locations, but were 10x's more comfortable by the truck at night and being more mobile. This year i believe I will truck camp until it makes sense to pack in and get closer to the elk.

Glassing - For 4 days we hiked through timber and called. It was successful from time to time. The last two days we climbed up to a ridge at day light and dark and glassed. We saw everything from moose, elk, deer, etc. I've heard the value of glassing on these forums, but somehow didn't implement it until the end of the trip. This year I will start the trip out on a glassing knob and figure out feeding patterns and bedding first.

Elk Shape - Its no joke, coming from low elevations to 8k+ feet is tough. Take your training seriously months prior.

Gear List - One thing I really think we nailed. Let me know if you have questions and I can send a screen shot.

We saw a bull or two .25 miles from the truck, and we saw them 5 miles in. They truly are where you find them at. I will be going back this year, and every year after that if its up to me. I had a blast and loved the learning experience. Make sure your hunting partners are on the same page as you. I also would split up or only hunt in pairs.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Even though you did not kill an elk it sounds like you has a great hunt with elk encounters. It seems like you went into it well prepared without any major negative events and learned some new things to go into this season with even more knowledge and preparedness.

I was lucky enough to hunt the unit and area I plan to elk hunt this sept last fall for mule deer. I was able to shoot a nice buck on the 3rd day of my hunt (my profile pic is the buck I shot). It was a solo day hunting style as I have friends who I stayed with each night who only lived 10 min away from where the trail head. For elk this year I will be solo again and this time will be backpack hunting for 5-6 days. I think I will have piece of mind knowing I have friends not far away and that I have already been in the same mountains so I should feel more comfortable being alone. I feel prepared gear wise to go into this hunt. I found resources like gohunt, elk101, YouTube, Rokslide, various podcasts, and western hunting articles are invaluable to helping the eastern hunter prepare to go out west. You don’t need to be a hardcore mountain ops drinking, flat bill wearing, bench pressing gym nut to hunt out west but being physically prepared is a must. Even more important i think is just having a level head, thinking through your actions, and not mentally doubting yourself is critical to have success to keep coming back for more.

CJohnson

WKR

My first elk hunt was last year, so I'm a true sophomore I guess. I went on a rifle hunt though, not archery.

I considered my hunt to be very successful. I got to spend a lot of time with an uncle and great uncle, rode some horses, camped out for a week, got to enjoy temperatures from the mid-70s down to the single digits, AND we shot an elk on the last day to avoid coming home empty handed.

I found so much useful information on this forum. I've got a dedicated word doc and several screenshots saved with nuggets of knowledge. Most of it relates to the logistics of getting in and out of hunting areas and trimming down gear to the essentials. I also used the search function heavily to come up with several different strategies.

The biggest challenge that our group faced was that we had one member who constantly got cold and later in the week got homesick. This can really be a trip-destroyer. My uncle and great uncle are as hard as woodpecker lips, but the fourth member of our party was not. I don't have any advice on how to avoid this, other than go with people you've been out with before doing other things less than 2,000 miles from home. Everyone wants to go elk hunting until they realize that elk hunting can turn into walking around through blowdown in a snowstorm, getting up at 4:00am to get on the mountain before daylight, etc., etc.

I will go elk hunting every year for the rest of my life as long as I'm physically able....and my wife gives the green light.

On future hunts, we plan to do a few thing differently. Last year we rented horses to help get "deeper". It was nice, especially after we shot the elk. BUT, other than riding in, riding out, and hauling the meat the horse are a huge PITA. It's just more work at the beginning and end of each day. Not saying I won't get some again in the future, but I'm looking forward to not having them this year. My great uncle is 75, and he enjoyed not having to hike in and out, so there's that. Regarding being "deep", I think it's over-rated. It's literally written on these forums that the elk are where they are. We hunted for a 5 days over 8 miles from the trailhead and didn't see another person. We also didn't see very many elk. We shot our elk less than 2 miles from a trailhead that had 30 trucks parked at it. If you look at the attached picture, you can see another group of hunters going in on the main trail with a bunch of llamas. It's hard to make sense of it all, but I don't know that going 8 miles back did much to improve our odds of killing an elk.

This year we are going to focus on being more mobile and truck camping. I'm going to upgrade a few pieces of gear, but I was pretty happy with the bits and pieces of non-designer hunting wear I was able to patch together from stuff I already had.

Oh, and take a lot of pictures. Even if it is just the landscapes. When I'm having a bad day at work, or I'm telling my little boys about my hunt I wish I had more pictures to scroll through and look at.

Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpg
    IMG_4617.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
Trunscav

Trunscav

FNG
My first elk hunt was last year, so I'm a true sophomore I guess. I went on a rifle hunt though, not archery.

I considered my hunt to be very successful. I got to spend a lot of time with an uncle and great uncle, rode some horses, camped out for a week, got to enjoy temperatures from the mid-70s down to the single digits, AND we shot an elk on the last day to avoid coming home empty handed.

I found so much useful information on this forum. I've got a dedicated word doc and several screenshots saved with nuggets of knowledge. Most of it relates to the logistics of getting in and out of hunting areas and trimming down gear to the essentials. I also used the search function heavily to come up with several different strategies.

The biggest challenge that our group faced was that we had one member who constantly got cold and later in the week got homesick. This can really be a trip-destroyer. My uncle and great uncle are as hard as woodpecker lips, but the fourth member of our party was not. I don't have any advice on how to avoid this, other than go with people you've been out with before doing other things less than 2,000 miles from home. Everyone wants to go elk hunting until they realize that elk hunting can turn into walking around through blowdown in a snowstorm, getting up at 4:00am to get on the mountain before daylight, etc., etc.

I will go elk hunting every year for the rest of my life as long as I'm physically able....and my wife gives the green light.

On future hunts, we plan to do a few thing differently. Last year we rented horses to help get "deeper". It was nice, especially after we shot the elk. BUT, other than riding in, riding out, and hauling the meat the horse are a huge PITA. It's just more work at the beginning and end of each day. Not saying I won't get some again in the future, but I'm looking forward to not having them this year. My great uncle is 75, and he enjoyed not having to hike in and out, so there's that. Regarding being "deep", I think it's over-rated. It's literally written on these forums that the elk are where they are. We hunted for a 5 days over 8 miles from the trailhead and didn't see another person. We also didn't see very many elk. We shot our elk less than 2 miles from a trailhead that had 30 trucks parked at it. If you look at the attached picture, you can see another group of hunters going in on the main trail with a bunch of llamas. It's hard to make sense of it all, but I don't know that going 8 miles back did much to improve our odds of killing an elk.

This year we are going to focus on being more mobile and truck camping. I'm going to upgrade a few pieces of gear, but I was pretty happy with the bits and pieces of non-designer hunting wear I was able to patch together from stuff I already had.

Oh, and take a lot of pictures. Even if it is just the landscapes. When I'm having a bad day at work, or I'm telling my little boys about my hunt I wish I had more pictures to scroll through and look at.

Good luck!

It sure sounds like and looks like it was a very successful first elk hunt! Not only were u successful on a nice cow but got it spend time hunting with your family.

I agree with finding a good hunting partner. Most people love the idea of going on a backcountry elk hunt but not everyone can sometimes hack it.

I agree with taking pictures even if it’s just landscape photos. I probably go through last years hunt photos multiple times a week. It’s crazy how looking a photo can bring back so much memories. This was my view the first morning of my hunt which being my first western hunt was filled with so much excitement and awe of this beautiful country

Attachments

• 57988E82-A7C7-4F2E-9E74-405770455F96.jpeg
    57988E82-A7C7-4F2E-9E74-405770455F96.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 35

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a fifth year senior and I’m still learning and having a good time.

I always consider boots on the ground to be successful since I don’t live in elk country.

if you live in elk country, you need to be training in those mountains right now.

Prepare yourself for a steep learning curve because there is a lot more to elk hunting than getting an animal down.
1. Physical shape
2. Calling shape
3. Bow shooting shape
4. Culinary shape
5. Stamina shape
6. Sleepless shape
7. Most Importantly, selflessness shape for your hunting partners

Arrowing an animal is the easiest part..getting to that point takes a ton of effort

expect that you will not get an elk for the first 3 to 5 years at minimum.. there’s a reason the odds are less than 15%

if you have someone who can mentor you that is the best situation

If you don’t have a mentor,
suggest you buy elk university from Cory Jacobsen

worth the price of admission

Just my 2 cents

njdoxie

WKR
I agree with finding a good hunting partner. Most people love the idea of going on a backcountry elk hunt but not everyone can sometimes hack it.

Every newbie should take it to heart.....if going in a group, some things are non-negotiable like leaving early unless all vote in favor, basically no plans are changed unless all agree. You get homesick? Tough, we aren't going anywhere, period, don't even ask.

Going into my "sophomore" year here. Last year was a huge success even though I didn't harvest and elk. A couple of key takeaways.
1. Theres is so much useful info on here. The search button is amazing :)
2. Living an hour from boots on the ground in the unit allowed me to get a ton of time both scouting and hunting. That helped to have plan each time I went out and get plenty of time in the field.
3. I was lucky to have an experienced friend who helped me learn some of the tough lessons. He harvested on our 4th day so seeing it all come together live was super useful
4. Had many encounters and 2 great opportunities that didn't pan out in an animal down but those lessons learned could end up being almost more valuable in the long run.
5. Most valuable takeaways...have a plan, stick to the plan, until it' time to change the plan and you will know when that it is. Pay attention to the thermals (always), get better at calling and continue to get proficient at shooting and quickly adjusting to different yardages.

I am lucky that I live at 9,000 feet and super active so that part of the equation (which is huge) is mostly taken care of. But I don't care who you are or where you live. Going up hill at 9,000+ will get you short of breath and you will know you are working. Although I got quite a few solo days in last season, my buddy who helped me just had knee surgery so this year I am completely solo and looking forward to it and the lessons that will happen.

And I am fully hooked which my fiancé couldn't be more happy about :ROFLMAO:

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I’m moving into my sophomore year. I killed a 6x6 on year #1, and it was solo with my bow. I did an incredible amount of reading and podcast listening, and I also was e-guided by a friend to be put into the right area.

My trip didn’t start out solo. I had a long-time whitetail hunting partner who wanted to climb down the mountain mid-day so he could call his wife. This was a round-trip of about 5 hours, 8 miles and 2k feet. He is also a pretty heavy guy so the up/down trip took a toll on him so much that he quit on day 3 and went to a nearby town. There was a little drama when I told him I wasn’t going down the mountain with him on the third day. So glad I stuck to my guns on this.

I bugled in my bull the very next morning after camping alone that night. My partner did help me pack out the bull on my second trip so that was cool.

When I was hunting with this partner who had elk hunted once or twice before, he wanted to sit on a meadow and call. He really didn’t know what he was doing and was thinking like a whitetail hunter. I went along with this only because he had some experience and I had none. He is a poor caller so this didn’t work out for us other than getting a cow to investigate within 90 yards.

Keep educating yourself as much as possible. There is an incredible amount of e-learning that today’s hunters have access to. With a little luck you can make it happen. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Trunscav

Trunscav

FNG
I’m moving into my sophomore year. I killed a 6x6 on year #1, and it was solo with my bow. I did an incredible amount of reading and podcast listening, and I also was e-guided by a friend to be put into the right area.

My trip didn’t start out solo. I had a long-time whitetail hunting partner who wanted to climb down the mountain mid-day so he could call his wife. This was a round-trip of about 5 hours, 8 miles and 2k feet. He is also a pretty heavy guy so the up/down trip took a toll on him so much that he quit on day 3 and went to a nearby town. There was a little drama when I told him I wasn’t going down the mountain with him on the third day. So glad I stuck to my guns on this.

I bugled in my bull the very next morning after camping alone that night. My partner did help me pack out the bull on my second trip so that was cool.

When I was hunting with this partner who had elk hunted once or twice before, he wanted to sit on a meadow and call. He really didn’t know what he was doing and was thinking like a whitetail hunter. I went along with this only because he had some experience and I had none. He is a poor caller so this didn’t work out for us other than getting a cow to investigate within 90 yards.

Keep educating yourself as much as possible. There is an incredible amount of e-learning that today’s hunters have access to. With a little luck you can make it happen. Good luck!

Congrats on success in your first season! Thanks awesome. Finding a hunting buddy who is as tough or tougher than you seems to be key and a diamond in the rough a lot of the time when looking for someone to go with.

OP
Trunscav

Trunscav

FNG
Going into my "sophomore" year here. Last year was a huge success even though I didn't harvest and elk. A couple of key takeaways.
1. Theres is so much useful info on here. The search button is amazing :)
2. Living an hour from boots on the ground in the unit allowed me to get a ton of time both scouting and hunting. That helped to have plan each time I went out and get plenty of time in the field.
3. I was lucky to have an experienced friend who helped me learn some of the tough lessons. He harvested on our 4th day so seeing it all come together live was super useful
4. Had many encounters and 2 great opportunities that didn't pan out in an animal down but those lessons learned could end up being almost more valuable in the long run.
5. Most valuable takeaways...have a plan, stick to the plan, until it' time to change the plan and you will know when that it is. Pay attention to the thermals (always), get better at calling and continue to get proficient at shooting and quickly adjusting to different yardages.

I am lucky that I live at 9,000 feet and super active so that part of the equation (which is huge) is mostly taken care of. But I don't care who you are or where you live. Going up hill at 9,000+ will get you short of breath and you will know you are working. Although I got quite a few solo days in last season, my buddy who helped me just had knee surgery so this year I am completely solo and looking forward to it and the lessons that will happen.

And I am fully hooked which my fiancé couldn't be more happy about :ROFLMAO:

Good luck this season! Hope you fill ur tag. I’m sure it definitely helps living at high elevation and in elk country to allow more time to scout and get in the right physical shape.

fatlander

WKR
Move until you find elk then slow down and hunt. Sounds really simple, but I think it’s where most folks mess up. If you don’t find any elk, you’re just bow hiking. And if you find elk but blow them out of the drainage because you didn’t slow down and actually hunt; well, you’re just bow hiking there too.

justin84

Lil-Rokslider

This will be my first year, and I've been going back and forth on what to do first. I am leaning towards what you suggested...put some time in glassing before hiking through timber and just see what's going on before diving in.

11boo

WKR
Nothing wrong with glassing, where applicable. Where I hunt it is rarely useful. Too thick and the elk are in the thick.

OP
Trunscav

Trunscav

FNG
This should give you hope. 25 yards with a bow, less than 600 yards from my truck camp. All after a week of climbing in and out of drainages far from camp.

Other thing, this was taken by a first time non resident hunter I had with me.

View attachment 193777

Damn! I’m sure he was one happy hunter that day

11boo

WKR
Damn! I’m sure he was one happy hunter that day
Yes he was. Did it all solo too, although he only had to pack the meat a short distance, and downhill, to a road.

I had to pull out of camp for a couple nights and had been on the mountain 2 weeks. Had to take the wife to that damn wine festival.

My friend had hunted hard with me for a week, we had seen elk and covered some country. He was beat when I left camp and was about to give up. I suggested he hunt somewhere near camp as we had heard some bugles at night. I bailed, two hours later pulling in the drive he sent me that pic. Figures. Right by camp and mid day.

i have yet to arrow an elk, but this will be my year.