South Dakota Elk Draw

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
No love for the wife either. Only real chance left at a tag this year is muzzleloader deer or antelope. Wyoming is 3% and BH about the same. MZ and Antelope are pretty good odds. Well, and two separate archery mule deer tags.

Not a whole lot to complain about. 😉

dakotaduner

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck to you lucky guys that drew a tag. Someday for me. But happy for you guys that get to elk hunt in our home state.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
Good luck to you lucky guys that drew a tag. Someday for me. But happy for you guys that get to elk hunt in our home state.

And any of us can if we burn our points on cow tags. No room for complaints. LOL.

The odds will continue to get worse and SDGFP will probably continue to steer the tags toward high point holders.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
That would be nice. Start getting a game plan and grabbing gears. Good luck everybody!

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I agree. Other than our archery tags we have drawn a blank so far for SD and WY. Fingers crossed for MZ tags. Pretty good chance to draw rifle antelope as well.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Same boat. But, I never hold my breath when it comes to elk tags. Applications get higher and tags stay the same. Just one of those things you might get lucky on. I never have gotten into goat hunting. Plenty of em around. Chased them archery a couple years back but I consider 70 degrees too dang hot so you know how that is.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
My wife really likes antelope hunting. Says it gives her a confidence boost. And they are delicious.

zbb

FNG
My son drew 2 years ago with 8 points. He was ducking every time he entered a room with hunters in it and knew he drew with only 8 points
When I was in 8th grade me and two other guys from my class drew H2 tags. One was a cow tag and myself and another guy had any elk tags. My first big game animal was a 330 bull from South Dakota haha. It was AWESOME! There was a lot of pissed off people though.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
When I was in 8th grade me and two other guys from my class drew H2 tags. One was a cow tag and myself and another guy had any elk tags. My first big game animal was a 330 bull from South Dakota haha. It was AWESOME! There was a lot of pissed off people though.

Now they cube the points and no kid will ever do that again.

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
I know it, kind of a bummer.

Good news is they can just use their points and shoot a cow. Better hurry though because people are starting to figure out the math. And elk is tasty. 😀

Reactions: zbb

jmez

WKR
I drew a leftover cow tag a few years ago. My season happened to be the same weekend that Atlas hit. I never even went out.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

OP
Fatcamp

Fatcamp

WKR
H3F, not the ideal unit as far as public goes, but know a few people that have filled their cow tags there. My first tag of any sort in the hills

Awesome. Spent some time there. Seen some elk. We can chat if you would like.

Anyone draw deer tags? I made bad choices. Actually, surprised we didn't draw an MZ tag. Should have used points to get a cow tag.