Special needs kids and hunting

Titan_Bow

WKR
Hey guys, looking for any input or experience from those that have kids with special needs or have helped get them into hunting.
My daughter turned 10 this year, and has expressed some desire to go with dad on a hinting trip. My daughter is deaf, and she has a rare genetic disorder that places her on the pretty far extreme end of the autism spectrum. My main concern is really knowing if she grasps and will cope with the reality of killing an animal. She loves to eat deer meat, and she’s been around my quartered meat, heads, and butchering. But she’s never really actively been on a hunt or seen an animal getting shot.
I don’t want to potentially scar her for life because she doesn’t grasp or understand what happened. But she has asked several times now to go deer hunting with dad.
A second concern is where to even go with her. All the spots my son and I hunt require long hikes over fairly rough terrain or thick brush and cover. My thought was some of the public spots I hunt in Nebraska, maybe sitting on the edge of food plots early bow season with a pop up blind and crossbow.
Third issue I have is ultimately getting her her hunter safety card. She’d need way more than simply a sign language interpreter. Anyone know if CO or other states have any Hunter Ed programs for special needs?
Any thoughts experiences etc are greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty sure I saw there is a special needs class when I was just glancing for details for my 9yr old, I think they said limited availability (obviously takes unique resources at times) so plan ahead of time type of thing. As for your death concern perhaps start with some sort of small game? Has she been fishing, how does she handle that so far?

Wrench

WKR
I teach hunters ed. We have a person who will read the questionsand answers to the kids. The physical test day does not require anything beyond gun control.

My buddy builds chairs for quad kids with sip/puff triggers.

Anything is possible.

ZMT588

Lil-Rokslider
First I would consider taking her fishing and see how she handles that. Maybe take her too shoot some ground squirrels? Smaller game might be easier for her to grasp. Where to go with her may depend on if your state offers Special needs hunts.

Hunting Accommodation Permits for Persons with Disabilities
Important: Please review the Information Bulletin for Accommodation Permit Holders before applying.

Hunters with disabilities, as defined in the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), may complete a Wildlife Recreation Accommodation Permit Application to request accommodation for:

• Shooting from a stationary motor vehicle and/or OHV
  • Use of an assistant to track and dispatch wounded game
  • Use of the exterior or a vehicle to support a firearm
  • Crossbow or draw-lock device during archery season - these permits allow use of non-magnifying scopes and red dot sights that magnify 1X or less. They do NOT allow for the use of scopes with magnification greater than 1X, magnified optical aids, laser, battery or electronic powered aiming, sighting, or range-finding devices (with the exception of red dot sights).

Some states allow someone from fish and game to help on the hunt. Even if they don't give you a place to hunt, I would knock on some doors and explain the situation. I would bet that most people would let you and your daughter on. And if they don't they are just plain mean lol.

boom

WKR
TEXAS!

they have a crazy long rifle season over there and a very generous bag limit. i bet dollars to donuts, you reach out to a game warden they will find you a hunt.

i could blow in my brother's ear..he has a lease, and he never shoots his limit. they shoot silenced rifles so the "KAPOW" might be more gentle for your kid.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll definitely reach out to those that offered. I’m going to get her out with her brother on some rabbit hunts over the holiday break, weather permitting.
My little girl loves fishing, and she’s been shooting her 22 some already.

b871bb3bf29bdda0558c184bb0b26560.jpg
064f3dd22d1553392679bb8251c0a65b.jpg
63e8cc2b27b5edd946a3c1ea0a21ab9d.plist

Wish I could help in some way but do not have any land/leases. I know several states in the east (whitetail states) have programs set up specifically for special needs hunts that range from education to hosted hunts (TN comes to mind). I’m not sure what or if you have any travel concerns but might look to neighboring states and see if any programs exist.

Mosby

WKR
Hey guys, looking for any input or experience from those that have kids with special needs or have helped get them into hunting.
My daughter turned 10 this year, and has expressed some desire to go with dad on a hinting trip. My daughter is deaf, and she has a rare genetic disorder that places her on the pretty far extreme end of the autism spectrum. My main concern is really knowing if she grasps and will cope with the reality of killing an animal. She loves to eat deer meat, and she’s been around my quartered meat, heads, and butchering. But she’s never really actively been on a hunt or seen an animal getting shot.
I don’t want to potentially scar her for life because she doesn’t grasp or understand what happened. But she has asked several times now to go deer hunting with dad.
A second concern is where to even go with her. All the spots my son and I hunt require long hikes over fairly rough terrain or thick brush and cover. My thought was some of the public spots I hunt in Nebraska, maybe sitting on the edge of food plots early bow season with a pop up blind and crossbow.
Third issue I have is ultimately getting her her hunter safety card. She’d need way more than simply a sign language interpreter. Anyone know if CO or other states have any Hunter Ed programs for special needs?
Any thoughts experiences etc are greatly appreciated.

My middle son is autistic. You can get a hunter ed card online through PA. No classes required or state residency. You can do everything on line and help her with it. Considering it for my son.

As a School Psychologist, I highly encourage any parent(s) to support their children in their interests; especially children with disabilities. However, we all need to be sure children, disabled or not, have the cognitive ability and maturity to handle firearms. Assuming your daughter does, I highly encourage you to pursue this!

Werty

WKR
I have a downs nephew, parents don't hunt. I would love to take him hunting someday. Unfortunately, at this present time, it doesn't appear he can grasp hunting. He is only 10 so time will tell. I applaud you getting you little girl involved in the outdoors.

Rich M

WKR
Ive been wearing hearing aids for 45 years and it does impact hunting. Can only see in 1 direction and don't get the clues telling us to turn head. LOL.

Why not just take her with you without her being the shooter ? I missed her age but she can go. You can introduce her in baby steps. It is fun to go out w dad and be the center of attention too.

If she's around meat and heads I doubt watching a deer die will scar her.

I'll also second the small game first sentiment. Rabbit hunting can be fun, especially if you are in an area where it snows.

Shraggs

WKR
I have two boys with Down syndrome, 18 & 20. The oldest we adopted from Hong Kong at 7. Horrible what happens to kids like that overseas.

My wife also works for a unique non profit for adult housing for severe and violent autistic folks.

We have pushed with expectations and exposed them to as much as possible. They are quite capable of more than many may realize.

That said, as mentioned above, teaching physical tasks is more than possible. I am st the BB gun phase and will stay there for a bit. Then it will be sitting with me and watching no killing. The rational and comprehension of hunting and then ramifications is much harder to teach. Observation over time and talk within their vocabulary bounds is what we have found to progress them. And, quizzes for certain.