Spike Elk

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all! I have been struggling to find good information on spike and was hoping to get some input. I'm specifically speaking to Oct rifle.

Do spike hang out with cows/herds? Or do they bachelor group up? If they bachelor group is it with bulls? or other spikes? What calls are spike susceptible to? Would you try to call a spike? Would you bugle? Would you approach spike differently in UT vs ID?

Look forward to reading everyone's thoughts!

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience it you find some cows there will typically be a spike or two with them. Occasionally you'll find them on their own. I've shot two spikes where they were the only elk/first elk I'd seen and no other elk nearby. Spotted them, shot them, and packed them out without seeing another elk. If you have a spike only tag I would just look for groups of cows and try to get into shooting range. Once there you'll probably see that one is spike. I'm in Wyoming, so can't say if it's different in UT or ID.

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience it you find some cows there will typically be a spike or two with them. Occasionally you'll find them on their own. I've shot two spikes where they were the only elk/first elk I'd seen and no other elk nearby. Spotted them, shot them, and packed them out without seeing another elk. If you have a spike only tag I would just look for groups of cows and try to get into shooting range. Once there you'll probably see that one is spike. I'm in Wyoming, so can't say if it's different in UT or ID.
Thank you! Appreciate the insight. Sounds like find the herd, find the spike. Any thoughts on calling?

87TT

WKR
Be careful in Idaho as they consider a bull with any fork longer than 1" a branch antler bull and not legal in a spike only hunt. I had an any elk tag and shot what I thought was a spike but it had a 2" fork on one side. Would have been illegal in a spike only hunt. That said I shot a cow last year and there was a small "branch" bull and a spike with four cows. I've had them come to cow calls too.

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful in Idaho as they consider a bull with any fork longer than 1" a branch antler bull and not legal in a spike only hunt. I had an any elk tag and shot what I thought was a spike but it had a 2" fork on one side. Would have been illegal in a spike only hunt. That said I shot a cow last year and there was a small "branch" bull and a spike with four cows. I've had them come to cow calls too.
Thank you! I have the UT tag (I was trying to not be one of those guys calling out states and units). You make a great point. I believe UT has the same 1" or less you reference. Sounds like if there is a need to call, cow call is probably the best option.

Laramie

WKR
They respond to cow calls occasionally but during Oct rifle, your best bet is to glass and then glass some more. If you happen to spot a lone spike go into cover, cow calls might bring him out for a shot. During archery, they are typically the easiest elk to call in. I have shot a few of them over the years. Probably 50/50 on whether they were with a group of cows or by themselves.

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
They respond to cow calls occasionally but during Oct rifle, your best bet is to glass and then glass some more. If you happen to spot a lone spike go into cover, cow calls might bring him out for a shot. During archery, they are typically the easiest elk to call in. I have shot a few of them over the years. Probably 50/50 on whether they were with a group of cows or by themselves.
Thank you. That is good to know and makes sense!

Really looking forward to checking out UT as my last 2 season have been CO OTC so it will be nice to mix it up a little.

Maverick1

WKR
Just think of a spike as a male thirteen year old human. They might be found hanging out with the ladies, hanging out with the gentlemen, or wandering about by themselves. They are somewhere between a boy and man, trying to figure things out, and act accordingly.

Geewhiz

WKR
Just think of a spike as a male thirteen year old human. They might be found hanging out with the ladies, hanging out with the gentlemen, or wandering about by themselves. They are somewhere between a boy and man, trying to figure things out, and act accordingly.
Excellent description.

Often times fairly gullible beings as they are lacking experience.

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
hahah thank you!

cnelk

WKR
Some fine reading here… 😂

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some fine reading here…

Shit on other states opportunity hunts and then try and deny hunters from coming to Colorado for an opportunity to hunt "real" bulls. Yep seems about right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk