OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Some fine reading here… 😂

Thank you! I will dig into that!

87TT

WKR
Opening day of archery last year, I overslept and got in late. There was another hunter parked in the spot I was going to hunt and it was getting light. I drove back down the road to plan B and parked. In my rush I laid my bow on the hood while I put on my pack. It slid off and hit the ground. It looked OJ so I took off up the drainage. About an hour later, I got made by a spike at 50 yards. He barked at me. It was so hot and only opening day so I had no intention off shooting him. I thought I would practice drawing on him. I put an arrow in and drew. My Tightspot Quiver fell apart and clattered at my feet scattering arrows. The previous fall had knocked the glue loose on the quiver. I just sat down as the spike rand up the hill stopping at the ridge at 100 yards and barked again. I sat there and put my quiver back together as he paced the ridge barking. I called him back to 59 or so twice more. It was fun.

Maverick1

WKR
Shit on other states opportunity hunts and then try and deny hunters from coming to Colorado for an opportunity to hunt "real" bulls. Yep seems about right.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Awww, come on now......just because @cnelk likes to start pervasive threads ("I'm just going to leave this here") and stir the pot when it comes to the never-ending saga of solving the CO preference point system on a forum - - - that does not mean he actually determines if the CO DOW allows hunters to kill spike elk in the state of Colorado....be nice!

Last edited:
What's the logic behind spike only seasons? Do they never grow into a branch antlered bull?

I have found that just before calving the cows will kick out the yearlings. Often they will herd up with the yearling cows. By fall they may still be in those groups, gone back to momma, hanging out with the big boys, or just wandering around chronically stupid.

The branch antlered season was designed to facilitate a breeding population. Otherwise the dummies are dead by the end of the first week.

ElkNut1

WKR
Get the ElkNut App. It will have all you need on hunting & calling Spikes. For myself outside of glassing glass-able elk country & hunting more timbered country you will find the Cow Party Tactic as your number 1 tactic for pulling in both Cows & Spikes! Good luck on your elk hunt!

ElkNut

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
Get the ElkNut App. It will have all you need on hunting & calling Spikes. For myself outside of glassing glass-able elk country & hunting more timbered country you will find the Cow Party Tactic as your number 1 tactic for pulling in both Cows & Spikes! Good luck on your elk hunt!

ElkNut
I have been meaning to get the app! Thank you for the insight and best of luck to you this fall as well.

What's the logic behind spike only seasons? Do they never grow into a branch antlered bull?
it’s considered an opportunity hunt. It’s often a way of allowing more hunters a chance to get a tag. In some places a spike tag is also the only way hunt premium/limited entry units that are managed for trophy quality bulls. For example, if you draw an area that takes 20 years of applying but only sells 20 branched-bull tags a year, it’s easy to assume a tag holder won’t settle for shooting a raghorn or a spike. This management practice allows the rag horns to reach trophy potential because the tag holders self limit but by killing spikes they’re still taking some males off of the landscape. Basically you’re hunting the top and bottom of the trophy spectrum.

OP
Subliminal1

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
OP - how did your hunt go? We'd love to hear a report and what you experienced.
It was a good hunt, lots of memories and learned a lot. Thinking back over the trip, it played out something like this.

Dad and I road scouted different spots on the drive up, tested our trailer conversion for the first time. Found what we thought were elk track (it was definitely cow lol) spent the first day there then moved. New spot was great, first day there had a bull and cow 50 yards away (we had spike tags). Day or two later had 2 bulls and a cow within 100 yards. Day or two later we were chasing bugles in the morning hoping to find a spike, no luck. A day or two later had a snow storm and followed deer tracks, beds, and rubs then came upon lion track. That pretty much sums up the hunt! haha

After that spent some time trout fishing up in Logan and had a blast doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: WAB

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you! I have the UT tag (I was trying to not be one of those guys calling out states and units). You make a great point. I believe UT has the same 1" or less you reference.
Utah has a very unique definition of spike. To be a spike, at least one antler cannot branch "above the ears". So, technically, a bull with 2 brow tines and a main beam with no points would be a legal "spike" in Utah.