Spot (GPS) customer service sucks

fwafwow

WKR
I've had two GPS emergency devices for some time - the Spot Gen 3 (yearly subscription) and the inReach Mini (for which I paid a monthly fee - for a month - for a backcountry trip). I'm finally trying to cancel the Spot subscription before it automatically renews next month. No way to do it online - at least that I could figure out. The customer service email they used to use bounces and sends you to a toll-free phone number link. So I'm on hold and have had enough time to research and find that they are probably going to say that the cancelation won't work because I'm closer than 30 days, and that they will offer me a cheaper price. WTH? Not sure if I should continue to wait on hold or just challenge the credit card bill when it comes through.

Anyone else experience this? Note - by way of comparison - I had both technical and billing questions today for Garmin and I was able to chat online twice with a wait time of a minute, and to talk to a human being with a wait time of maybe two minutes.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Update - I got through after 48 minutes on hold. I was able to cancel, but they offered to reduce my annual from $225 to $143 due to a "Covid" promotion (weird they knew I had it). Then the cancelation email (sent only because I asked) included an offer to reduce further to $99.

For those who have and like Spot, you should call to get a lower rate.

I had the same issue...they charged my cc for my yearly sub 2 days early...so I too had to call and wait on hold took almost a hour to cancel and another 15 days to refund my cc...glad to be rid if them.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I had set up a merchant block on my credit card (which took all of 2 minutes thru an online chat) and was ready to hang up.

I’ve considered changing the thread title to “Covid 19 Discount for Spot Users”