Spotting scope straight eyepiece vs angled eyepiece

I use the angled spotter for goat hunting, because it’s much lighter than my straight one, and I don’t need the superior glass for goats, but sometimes I have a difficult time getting on game with the angled. So for that reason, I prefer a straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the 11-33x50mm Vortex Razor Angled. Not a fan of how I have to re-adjust the height of the Tripod when switching from Binos to Angled spotter. And that Angled spotter doesn't have that ring to let you tilt it sideways either.

I'll probably keep it for Range use... but eventually think I will get a lightweight straight spotter, like the STC or something. At most nothing heavier than a 65mm.

I want to go straight so I won't have to re-acquire the object again if I want to switch to spotter. Also it helps with looking over taller obstacles like tall brush or the walls of your home (in a suburban setting) to practice glassing in the backyard.

Straight is so simple to get on target fast and to me that’s the whole point. Two eyes to find the game, one eye to evaluate.

I went straight for the kowa 554. Its a good match for getting on target with the smaller FOV and great when you are on the tops. If they ever come out with a TSN665 with wider FOV and a good weight, I would go angled as I do prefer that for digiscoping.

You will know which one you prefer..after you buy one and glass for hours in the wrong one:) my neck hurts just thinking about it. I ran a straight for far too many years in central mountainous Idaho, now my angled ATS I can sit all day behind and not be strained. With the only exception being on backpack hunts sitting on the high elevation rim looking down into deep basins. Then I miss my straight…but not often and not for long, and turning the scope usually alleviates strain. Hunt flat lands/prairie? straight might be better. Looking down when the objective lens is pointing up the mountain is more comfortable for longer periods. Bino transition issues are a non-issue imho, if you spend ample time in the glass its no big deal but yeah a little faster/easier with straight. Both are still fun. STC would be nice for backpacking, but I still like my marriage.

Last edited:
I actually prefer the angled spotter on the prairie. I like to sit and put my tripod around my legs, it is way easier to look slightly down into the eyepiece this way. the low profile helps not being spotted by game and is steadier in the never ceasing wind.

I just ordered the Swaro ATC for backpacking. I think I'm going to switch to the STC for better packability and, arguably, better versatility on backpack hunts. I already own the ATS 65 for base camp spotting and think I'll enjoy the STC on the mountain better. Lastly, I tend to glass 90% of the time with my ELs and use the spotter to get a closer look once I've found something so the argument that angled is more comfortable for long hours behind the glass is moot (for me).

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Back