Squeeky packs

Steadman

WKR
It seems like the packs I use squeak pretty bad. I got rid of one company completely for this reason and others. Upgraded and still have the noise problem. It’s not too awful load but enough that it drives me crazy hearing it when I hike. The noise seems to be coming from where the shoulder straps attach at the back. Any advise on fixes or packs that don’t squuek? Thanks!!

crazywednesday

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the packs I use squeak pretty bad. I got rid of one company completely for this reason and others. Upgraded and still have the noise problem. It’s not too awful load but enough that it drives me crazy hearing it when I hike. The noise seems to be coming from where the shoulder straps attach at the back. Any advise on fixes or packs that don’t squuek? Thanks!!
Parafin wax where it rubs.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SCOGS

Lil-Rokslider
Neither of my Stone Glaciers squeak, either did my exo when I had it. My Kuiu pack on the other hand was absolutely intolerable. It drove me crazy it squeezed so bad. I put moleskin on the frame panel where it slid into the hip belt and also on the stays which helped. Which pack do you have?

Gumbo

WKR
I had an MR with creaking frame stays. MR injected some lube with a hypodermic needle into all of the stays which helped.

mtnkid85

WKR
My 2015 exo has just started squeaking. I need to pull the frame out and wax it apparently? Anyone with the older exo know exactly where the squeaks are originating from?

Both my MR and Stone Glacier pack squeek. I'm going to try the wax trick.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gator

FNG
2014 exo started squeaking a bit last season, pulled out the frame, coated it with bowstring wax, reinstalled. Problem solved.

MTSabo

WKR
I have a barneys pack that squeaks to no end. Then I got a seek outside revolution that doesn't make a sound.

OP
Steadman

Steadman

WKR
SCOGS I have a MR metcalf. I have a kifaru on the way I tried the wax and it still squeaks. Hopefully the kifaru won’t. Thanks for the input everyone

dotman

WKR
My Kifaru squeaks, it’s the combination of the AGC harness rubbing the shoulder straps. It seems loud but in reality people can’t hear it that are 5ft away and it does it more so in warmer weather then cold and when I have only my base layer top on.

So not so much the pack but combination of items I use but I think any pack can develop a squeak but it’s usually a correctable issue.

Last edited:

mt100gr.

WKR
My Kifaru and my Stone Glacier xcurve both squeak. Especially when heavily loaded.

I can usually track down the issue and get some wax in there. It's not loud, I know, but annoying on daily training hikes.

I just use whichever flavor of bow string wax I have on the bench.

I've carried 100 plus pound loads for over 30 miles of steep terrain this spring, summer, and fall training and hunting. About 50 miles of 70-80 pound loads, and about 100 miles of 12-40 pound loads. Sweat soaked, hot, etc.... Mine never squeaked and, for the life of me, can't see anything on it that would make it squeak. Granted it was new in the spring. A harness or added strap rubbing isn't the pack. As you said. And, I'm not a huge fanboy defending my brand. I just can't see where anything on the newer frame would squeak. So, please share where you waxed so I can head it off before it does. God Bless

mt100gr.

WKR
Mine is the newest version with more than a few hundred miles of sweat, etc through it. Usually it's the inside of the tab loops where buckles are pulled tight into the webbing loops. I just gob some wax on the buckles and rub it around and away I go. I usually leave the training weight on the frame so it's definitely not getting a chance to settle and distribute the wear on the loops. The other places have been the k clips in the loops for the load lifters and the common loop at the top of the stays. It's always where plastic or a k clip is tight into the webbing. And I guess to address your definition - I consider the frame, belt, shoulder harness, their straps and straps connected to the frame "the pack" Not the bag, of course, but all the rigging needed to carry something on the frame.

I notice it on my SG pack when it's wet or after its been sweated into for awhile and it seems to squeak where the inside of the xpack fabric contacts other fabrics. Xpack is almost rubberized on one side so this makes perfect sense and isn't a concern. Just something I have noticed. It reminds me of when the rand of my boot sometimes squeaks a little when it rubs the inside panels in my truck. ....weird example, I know but its really no big deal to me.