SSTs in a 6.5x300?

AndrewP

FNG
Anybody shot an animal with the sst out of the 6.5x300? I've got some bullets but haven't loaded them. They are on the load data from Weatherby in a 129gr. I have 140s.

I'm guessing they would do ok, but worried about how they would hold up at close distance compared to other options.

Anybody shot an animal with the sst out of the 6.5x300? I've got some bullets but haven't loaded them. They are on the load data from Weatherby in a 129gr. I have 140s.

I'm guessing they would do ok, but worried about how they would hold up at close distance compared to other options.
I know they were explosive for me at close range with a 270… i shot a big bear at 12 steps with one, no part of the bullet made it to the offside rib cage (broadside) I couldn’t see any punctures in the off side lung either, but it was all blood shot, just couldn’t see where any fragments actually made it to the offside lung.

Bear didn’t go far, it went bolting by me at an arm’s length and kept going about 30yds before piling up, but I had mixed feelings about that bullet after that.

Shot a blacktail with the same bullet about 90yds off hand and he had a baseball size exit… my very limited experience with sst close to 3k FPS impact speed