Stabiliser setups - pros and cons of quivalizer and rear stab vs front and rear bar with bow quiver

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

I was at my club before a quick hunt/scout yesterday with a friend of mine and we put a 12in stab on the front of my bow and a tight spot on the side. It felt pretty good when shot but was heavier than I anticipated, which isn't really an issue.

I'll experiment with a few setups here and there in the coming months and see what works. I'll also make a point of shooting with my quivalizer off a bit to see how the bow swings, as I imagine some of the thick stuff I hunt will see this be an advantage.

I had a quivilizer for a couple years. Killed a bull with it deployed (43 yards). The other, not mounted on the front (no need, 23 yd. Shot). It works. The bow stabilized and there wasnt much pin float. I also have shot various stabilizers. I setteled on a 8" with a couple decently heavy weights. I really decided i didnt want that thing swinging around and planing in the wind. Swinging around and drawing amongst vegetation was also annoying- I found I shot just as well with my other stabilizers.
Pros: It works well minimizing pin drift/float. Absolutely works to absorb sound...although not any quieter than my other stabilizer/side mount setups
Cons: catches the wind, long and more visible than a traditional stabilizer. Its another step you fiddle with before the approach/shot. All in all it worked well for me, I just decided I prefer a side mount quiver with a small stabilizer.

The quivalizer has to be a mess in the wind. I couldn't imagine trying to shoot an antelope past 40 yards mid day with that on the bow with the wind howling.

Bows may balance well without stabs in calm wind. Add some serious wind not so much and those heavy stabs quiet everything down.

Reactions: Zac
I keep going back and forth if I like a stabilizer or not. Some days I throw a stabilizer on and my group size instantly shrinks in half, and the next day I take it off and my group size doesn't change at all.

I prefer a light bow, so I never throw on more than 3-5 oz total of weight between the front and back bars. I haven't found much benefit to a rear bar other than preventing the bow from dumping forward after the shot, so I try to keep the weight on that bar minimal as well.

I keep going back and forth if I like a stabilizer or not. Some days I throw a stabilizer on and my group size instantly shrinks in half, and the next day I take it off and my group size doesn't change at all.

I prefer a light bow, so I never throw on more than 3-5 oz total of weight between the front and back bars. I haven't found much benefit to a rear bar other than preventing the bow from dumping forward after the shot, so I try to keep the weight on that bar minimal as well.
A stabilizer also prevents the bow from twisting when a shot goes off. I just shot a tournament and couldn't shoot with my back bar because it was on my hunting bow. I shot to the right several times for strange reasons. Pin was center of the dot and the arrow would land 5-6 right. After talking to a pro archer, he explained that back bar helps prevent the natural torque created when a bow goes off.

I'm probably butchering the explanation. But it helps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

A stabilizer also prevents the bow from twisting when a shot goes off. I just shot a tournament and couldn't shoot with my back bar because it was on my hunting bow. I shot to the right several times for strange reasons. Pin was center of the dot and the arrow would land 5-6 right. After talking to a pro archer, he explained that back bar helps prevent the natural torque created when a bow goes off.

I'm probably butchering the explanation. But it helps.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
That makes a lot of sense. Up until now I had only heard it was there just to balance out the bow's / shooter's natural cant

I’ve got a 10” front and back bar on my ventum 33. It’s a little heavy and a little awkward, but it flat out shoots better with both bars than one or none. I’ve kicked around the idea of a quivalizer on my next bow. I may give it a try. The biggest issue I see with the quivalizer is not being able to put the weight exactly where you need it.

Noticed a comment above about dropping your arm 30 shots in. 1, you don’t shoot 30 times in the woods and 2, target bows are significantly heavier for good reason; they’re more stable. No different than a bench rifle. Shoot your bow more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stability is dependent on the shooter more so than the equipment. Master your equipment

Stability is dependent on the shooter more so than the equipment. Master your equipment

That’s simply not true. There are platforms and stabilizer setups that are much more stable than others.

There’s a reason people whose livelihood depends on hitting x’s shoot 40” axle to axle low let off bows with multiple 30” bars and weigh 10 pounds.

That’s simply not true. There are platforms and stabilizer setups that are much more stable than others.

There’s a reason people whose livelihood depends on hitting x’s shoot 40” axle to axle low let off bows with multiple 30” bars and weigh 10 pounds.

Then how do traditional archers shoot well? You are narrow minded. I shoot both.

Then how do traditional archers shoot well? You are narrow minded. I shoot both.

They don’t shoot well in comparison to the local asa club champion, or even a decent compound shooter.

f011e51fae08a833da553a989c70942d.jpg

25 yards with my satori

44f861259da1a72f321eec6b94ed7e05.jpg

85 yards with my ventum 33.

Just a narrow mind on his narrow way.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Zac
Alot of us don't want an ASA setup for hunting....thats what I'm getting at...flew right over your head like a 10x from a longbow from 40. Some of us still kill them deader TF from range if needed without all that.

Alot of us don't want an ASA setup for hunting....thats what I'm getting at...flew right over your head like a 10x from a longbow from 40. Some of us still kill them deader TF from range if needed without all that.

If your right nut depends on you hitting a 10 at 50 yards. You picking your compound or your long bow?

If your right nut depends on you hitting a 10 at 50 yards. You picking your compound or your long bow?

Now this quiver debate has turned into a compound vs. Longbow. Technicologically advanced equipment vs. An an antiquated bow. Obviously the compound wins. You continue to miss the point. You a very good shot? Cause you keep missing.

Now this quiver debate has turned into a compound vs. Longbow. Technicologically advanced equipment vs. An an antiquated bow. Obviously the compound wins. You continue to miss the point. You a very good shot? Cause you keep missing.

You said that he needs to master his equipment. Stability isn’t depended on gear, rather it’s the shooter. You followed up by saying traditional archers are proficient. They are, just not nearly on the same level as compounds.

The shooter plays a most certainly plays role, but apples to apples (same shooter) there’s gear that’s more stable than others.

Last edited:
That variability is exactly what a well tuned stabilizer setup helps to prevent.

This is a “you” issue, stabilizer or not you should figure out why this happens. Which way do you miss? If you’re having left right misses you are torquing or untorqing the bow with inconsistent grip pressure or having face contact. High lows are usually follow through or even target panic issues.

A stabilizer masks our errors and hides imperfections in our form. I chose not to run one because if I add half a pound to my bow that equates to a lot of extra strain on my feet, hands and fingers packing it around. I average about 12-13K steps the month of Sept. that’s about 350K steps in month and so 175K extra pounds I’m packing that month.

With packing a bow that much I notice it being heavier when I have my stabilizer on. I shoot very well and very consistent without a stab, I shoot slightly better with one. I don’t see enough difference to warrant packing it since most of my shots are inside of 60 yards.

If you feel like you shoot much more consistent with a stab then it may make since to use one. Another thing to think about is all these long stabs and back bars are made to make your bow sit level and react less on flat ground, that can be counter productive when trying to shoot steep up and down or at weird angles.

This is a “you” issue, stabilizer or not you should figure out why this happens. Which way do you miss? If you’re having left right misses you are torquing or untorqing the bow with inconsistent grip pressure or having face contact. High lows are usually follow through or even target panic issues.

A stabilizer masks our errors and hides imperfections in our form. I chose not to run one because if I add half a pound to my bow that equates to a lot of extra strain on my feet, hands and fingers packing it around. I average about 12-13K steps the month of Sept. that’s about 350K steps in month and so 175K extra pounds I’m packing that month.

With packing a bow that much I notice it being heavier when I have my stabilizer on. I shoot very well and very consistent without a stab, I shoot slightly better with one. I don’t see enough difference to warrant packing it since most of my shots are inside of 60 yards.

If you feel like you shoot much more consistent with a stab then it may make since to use one. Another thing to think about is all these long stabs and back bars are made to make your bow sit level and react less on flat ground, that can be counter productive when trying to shoot steep up and down or at weird angles.
It's definitely a "me" issue, no argument there. I just haven't found the perfect setup yet that I like above all else.
The longer and heavier target bars are nice sometimes with the slower pin movement, but I tend to fatigue a little quicker. A shorter and lighter bar, or no bar, is nicer for fatigue but less consistent overall. I've sort of settled for a 15" bar with ~3 oz of weight, and just enough on the back bar so it doesn't want to dump forward quite as much. However, I will still just run no stabilizer on occasion and even with a fast pin movement it just feels good

Back