Stabilizers on bow in the Backcountry

Currently running 15 CBE torx micro front bar and and the 11.75 back bar. 3oz on the front and 6oz out the back. I shoot really well with this set up. Will this be a pain in the ass to haul around in the back country in Colorado and hang up on a bunch of stuff in the woods.

Bwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
It’s really not a big deal. I take them off to pack in and then back on while I’m actively hunting.

Really not a big deal at all. Especially out west.

Bump79

WKR
I ran 10" front and 8" back for a season. I switched to a 15" Beestinger Counterslide that I much, much prefer. Easier to adjust and get it just right.

Think about it this way - Tim Gillingham has a ridiculous stabilization system for target and 3d. When he's hunting he runs a counterslide.

Ive always run somewhat longer stabs with no issue. I did take my back bar off on my last hunt (after practicing without it) and it was fine. Your current setup is close to what I am running now and I would have no qualms with running that setup.

nphunter

WKR
It will be much harder than not having a stabilizer. When I used to run a longer stabilizer all the time it was noticeably heavier and a pain in thick brush or strapping and it stuck out when strapping to the pack. I see very little improvement in my groups at 60 or less without a stabilizer, especially on the first couple of shots. I would say 90% of my hunting the stabilizer stays in the truck, when backpack hunting it stays back 100% of the time. The only time I use the stabilizer is when I think I may have to take a hail mary shot which would be on something like stalking an antelope. Elk hunting I don't use them anymore, elk are giant targets and having a stabilizer isn't going to make a difference on whether or not I'm in the vitals.

Here’s the last 60 yard shot I took at an animal.
A7E288FB-0857-49DF-802B-F0CC02B284EF.jpeg

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
On my elk setup, i ditched my quiver and stabilizer and went with the quivalizer from option archery. Im not a dan evans fan but the setup is very nice and saved a bunch of weight. I still shoot just as good as i did with my Dead Center stab and side bar too.

big44a4

WKR
I use a 15/12 with 6oz/3oz. No issues packing it around. One issue for me was packing a 35” ATA bow one year where string caught a limb going under a tree and derailed the bow. I leave a synum bow press at the truck now for that and find a 33” ATA bow works better for me.

OP
Kifaru_Kinda_Guy
I use a 15/12 with 6oz/3oz. No issues packing it around. One issue for me was packing a 35” ATA bow one year where string caught a limb going under a tree and derailed the bow. I leave a synum bow press at the truck now for that and find a 33” ATA bow works better for me.
First 2 times in Rado I had a 30 inch ata. Now I will have a 33 inch ata phase 4. I will be sure to be mindful of trees and bring the press for it.

I frequently am carrying my bow in my hand while elk hunting, the less weight I'm carrying all day the better off I am. Add up the weight of your disconnects, bars, then the actual weights. You probably have 20 oz or so. I'm always happy to loose a little extra weight, I don't want a 4# bow, that's too light for me. But once I have 5-6 arrows, quiver, sight, rest I'm north of 6#, and I don't want to carry 8.

That 20 less ounces in my left arm for a few hours helps my shooting more than a short stabilizer with little weight.

Also, I like a back bar because I tend to snag it before the string because I am an absolute klutz.

Somehow I have had successful stalks in the past, I tend to think I am the reason the average IQ of the CO mule deer population keeps increasing.

I absolutely love my stabilizers. I shoot way better having them on. I hunted last year with an 8" bee stinger out the front and no issues, however the stabilizer setup wasn't right. I talked to Sam at tap archery and ordered a 15" front bar and a 8" rear bar and that bow balances so well and I've never shot it as well either.

I live and hunt in Idaho and some places can get nasty so it will be interesting to see how it does. My knocked arrow is longer than my stab though and if it's going on my pack they are coming off. It's all personal choice and what your willing to carry for the benefit.
20240102_131246.jpg

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use 15" front and 10" back bar. Swapped for a quivalizer and couldn't be happier for hunting.

Dropped a full pound off my bow compared to stabilizers plus another quiver

Currently running 15 CBE torx micro front bar and and the 11.75 back bar. 3oz on the front and 6oz out the back. I shoot really well with this set up. Will this be a pain in the ass to haul around in the back country in Colorado and hang up on a bunch of stuff in the woods.
IMHO, that's alot of extra weight and cumbersome to be hauling around chasing elk and mule in the mountains. Will it make you more accurate in the backcountry as opposed to the range? You decide. I like to stay light, nimble, and mobile. Here in CO I rarely get archery shot opportunities at elk beyond 40-60 yds.. As with other gear, ounces equals pounds, pounds equal pain. You'll figure it pretty out quickly after climbing that second ridge.

Last edited: