Stalking tips and tactics

mitschkeb

FNG
Any of y'all experienced mule deer hunters have some tips for a rookie. Went to Arizona in January was the most fun/defeating hunt I have experienced. Just need some help getting a little closer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

GG9

FNG
While it isn’t the answer you are looking for, being a new hunter with no one to really show me the way, I asked this question as well. Someone recommended the book Hunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh.

Man, let me tell you, what a great book. It breaks down all the aspects of a stalk. Planning, execution, specific techniques, wind considerations. Like I said, I’m a new hunter. However, this book made me feel like I could get into the field and at least know the basics about what to do after spotting a deer.

I'm heading on my first spot and stalk Archery mule deer hunt this fall - I have the hunting open country mule deer book and plan to read it a couple more times before the hunt - it does have a ton of good info! Might buy Robbie's mule deer book as well...

pdmich

FNG
You should check out Remi Warren's podcast Cutting the Distance. He's covers some great tips on this.

Jimss

WKR
Keep wind in mind! Don't skyline yourself. Buy and use the best optics $ can buy. Think like a mature muledeer buck. Get away from hunters! Hunt steep and deep! Scout and hunt harder. Practice...practice...practice.

Any of y'all experienced mule deer hunters have some tips for a rookie. Went to Arizona in January was the most fun/defeating hunt I have experienced. Just need some help getting a little closer.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

You might want to think of it as a learning experience in which you will make mistakes and learn from them. You have to think about it from the deer's perspective and how they detect us hunters in the first place: Smell, Sight, and Sound. And usually in that order.

Smell: You cannot stalk up to a deer if it smells you. That means you have to know the wind direction and how it reacts in certain situations. You absolutely must carry a windicator, and use it diligently on a regular basis.

Sight: Deer see movement. Are you stalking carefully and out of sight as much as possible? Are you movement slow? Like really slow? Deer see into the UV spectrum. Do you have all of your body covered? Some people don't cover their hands and face, which really shines to a deer. Did you wash your clothing in non-UV brightening detergent? Is your camouflage of good quality? Does it match the terrain or are you sticking out like a sore thumb?

Sound: Most hunters I know, including myself, will take off our boots when we get within say 100 yards. You can stalk in just your socks or get some other kind of shoe, like a stalking moccasin, or what I love, Rimrok Stalkers. And when you approach, make small movements, one step every few seconds, no rhythm, wait in between.

These are just some of the things to think about, but if you can evade detection from the most important senses a deer uses for survival, you might just be successful. Then your aim comes into play.... but that is a different thread for a different day.

Good luck sir.

Last edited: