Starlink

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I only had satellite available in my area so we went with Starlink, It's less money than satellite for t.v. and a local provider for our phone. Now I stream all our t.v. and V.O.I.P. our phone along with wifi our cell phones which we have no service for at our house. It's awesome ! Had for over a year now with zero complaints.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Is it $175 everywhere or does the price change based on location?
They used to adjust price based on location... They also offered me two "tiers" one for "business" and one for "home". I went with "home" and I get charged $120 per month for my service.

It never drops below 140 mpbs download and is usually closer to 170-180. You will find that some random devices do not like connecting to their router every time. Our iphones and my work android tablet have no issues. My work laptop has no issue and my PC is hard wired to the router.

Our main living room TV is a saumsung and it doesn't always get along with the starlink router for some reason, same with the samsung stove and dishwasher (wife gets notifications when oven is up to temp/timer is done, and when dishes are done). The kids playroom is a Vizio TV and it connect every time with no issues.

Our Starlink dish was damaged by a recent golf ball sized hailstorm. Put in a repair ticket to see if the dish could be repaired or if we had to buy a new one. Within 15 minutes received a reply, new dish on the way, no charge, they wanted the old dish back to see what the point of failure was. Excellent customer service.

I pay $76/month right now so I couldn’t imagine paying $120/month. Plus it’s not even available in my area.

Sammymusi

WKR
I have 5 acres in pa , had Verizon dsl ever since we built the house in 16 . I have called them no joke 30 times every few months because it would just go out. Ruined my life couldn’t work from home couldn’t do anything on our phones or even make a call. Waited 2 years for star link and I have had it for 4 months now. Game changer and I would never go back to anything again living where we are. We have no access to comcast or anything like that. Well worth the 120 bucks a month

We were initial beta testers starting in late 2020 (Better Than Nothing Beta) and are approaching the 3 year mark of being exclusively Starlink.

Stability has increased, weather related cutouts have decreased, latency decreased, although our speeds have also definitely slowed since the beginning. To be fair, I assumed the ~220mbps DL that we had initially was because we were one of very few users on the initial Beta network. We average roughly ~120mbps down now, which is still plenty for us.

We're in an area where DSL or traditional sat are the only other options, and essentially our entire street is now on Starlink.

Both the OG router and the Gen 3 (in beta) router are beasts, and they throw a strong-enough WiFi signal from the front of our house ~100 yards to the back of our barn. Gen 2 (current production I believe) router was trash IMO when we tested, half the range and terrible ping. We have 3-6 personal devices, and 4 appliances pulling on the network at any given time and no noticeable throttling during our heaviest use hours.

The one downside I experienced, is that if you're a hardcore/competitive gamer, your latency cannot match fiber and you will be at a disadvantage, no way around it. Luckily I grew out of that phase now that we're in the country.

Another good experience with the Starlink RV route. I use it when I'm on the road. It doesn't draw very much power, so it's easy to run off the auxiliary battery in my truck. Only mild annoyance is that you need an inverter since it won't run on DC, but you probably have one of those anyway if you have a proper solar/house battery setup.