Starter press

williaada

WKR
Looking for options on reloading press for hunting loads. I currently use my brother hornets lock and load for 300-500 rounds a year. This year he suggested I get my own press.

Looking at the hornday lock and load or the RBCs rock chucker.

Appreciate the input.

Nothing but great things to say about my RCBS Rebel. It’s like the Rock Chucker except bigger and heavier.

Last edited:

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I just drove right by the MEC plant in WI last month just south of Fon Du Lac. High quality. All my shotgun reloaders are MEC. Started in Mayville, WI about 20 miles or so from my home town. Great stuff.

Reactions: OMF

Wrench

WKR
I just stepped from a rcbs to forster last year. After 35 years on the rcbs.....I can't believe I waited so long. The coax is simply a great design for rifle cartridges. The priming system is VERY accurate and VERY slow.....but the press is simply superior in every way.

Ebay is your friend...just checked there is a RCBS Jr3 listed for 10 bucks...couple rock chuckers for under 30...Those old cast steel presses will last forever...I still use a A2 from the 50s...

11boo

WKR
You might get as lucky as me. I gave away my rockchucker to a kid starting out, and knew I would still want a single stage. Checked a local pawn place, they had a Lyman and a RCBS. 100 bucks for both.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the MEC Marksman. Solid press. Floating shell holder. Super smooth ram stroke. Loads some really concentric ammo.

The presses mentioned are all good. I agree with all on the single stage. Even if you get into a progressive in the future you still come back to the single stage. Pick based on the features you like. I have accumulated each of these mentioned, plus a few others but I keep coming back to RCBS.

I just stepped from a rcbs to forster last year. After 35 years on the rcbs.....I can't believe I waited so long. The coax is simply a great design for rifle cartridges. The priming system is VERY accurate and VERY slow.....but the press is simply superior in every way.
Plus the money and aggravation you’ll save on shell holders pays for the extra cost.

I browse new presses occasionally just to see what’s out there. Always go back to my Rock Chucker. 20+ years going strong and can’t complain at all.

Ram4402

FNG
It’s a great press. I just hand prime saves a bunch of time and aggravation over priming on the press.

If I belong to a gun club, post a WTB on the classified board. Catch someone upgrading or getting out of reloading.

a buddy just picked up a fully kitted out Dillon 750 with about $2k of total value for under $1k, plus they threw in a lot of reloading supplies.

inkedspot

FNG
I have used a Hornady LNL single stage ever since they came out. I like the ease of swapping the dies around, and it has been very repeatable. Nothing wrong with any of the others as well, My buddy has run a Dillon for a while and it seems like a great press - just more money.

Gila

WKR
If you are going to hand-load more than 3 or 4 calibers, I would suggest something like a Lee Classic Turret press. But if you like Hornady’s LnL press, you can also get a Lee Breech Lock collet that will fit the RockChucker to change dies quickly.