Status of msr pistol braces

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
So, does anyone REALLY know what the status of pistol braces are?
From what I can gather is that there is still litigation happening and technically the law is still there but it's been ruled unenforceable.

Randy

Last I recall a stay was issued meaning the rule means nothing so you are still legal with a pistol and brace attached. Yes no final decision has been made but it will at some point like the bump stock ban.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Except that braces are much more commonly in use than bump stocks ever were. It would be difficult politically for the dims to get legislation through congress, and would be political kryptonite as an executive order at a time that independents play a major role in elections.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Legislation through congress? This is the ATF and their willy-nilly "rules" here. If this were legislation through congress, we wouldn't be in the same scenario.

sneaky

"DADDY"
So, does anyone REALLY know what the status of pistol braces are?
From what I can gather is that there is still litigation happening and technically the law is still there but it's been ruled unenforceable.

Randy
FWIW the ATF can't make laws, they can make rules but not laws. Only Congress can pass laws. It's an unconstitutional rule regardless.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Unless you live in a commie state that has specifically targeted them (which I'm unsure if that's happened but it's hard to keep up with the outliers), you can use them. Doesn't hurt to join one of the groups who were granted the stay through a few of the ongoing court cases.

In reality if your local donut patrol aren't bootlickers nobody cares. I doubt most guys in federal law enforcement could identify the difference between the pistol and SBR.

lanruc

FNG
At this time braces are 100% legal. And based on the recent ruling, the court anticipates they will likely stay that way.