Steak Dinner- what’re you getting?

Whisky

WKR
I'm going A5 Wagyu, rare and no toppings, and either lobster or scallops. With truffle fries.
Beer pre and during meal. Dessert drink of Lagavulin 16 on the rocks.

LostArra

WKR
I hate "Steakhouses". You pay a premium price for a lump of meat and then you pay for a family sized portion of some shitty vegetable, a baked potatoe and a salad ala carte style.
We call these "Steak and a plate" houses. When you order steak, you get a steak and a plate, not a meal.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I’d have the toothpick and water. However, I’m sure that’s as overpriced at that place as everything else is.

I’d go somewhere else.

Zappaman

WKR
Last night, I ate a Texas Roadhouse prime rib (20 oz) cut RARE then seared with seasoning on both sides about 2 minutes... never had better (and I've had the $1,200 diners out at trade shows- taste the same but the scotch alone was $800- four guys). $90 out the door from Texas Road house... with wife having two glasses of Louis Matini red and my few GOOD (local) beers. LIfe is good.

I get the restaurant gig and I occasionally will buy a $90 steak (and yes... it's good AND IT IS ALWAYS an extremely large cut (24-30oz) when I drop this kind of cash. But that is a once every three months or so thing-- usually while vacationing. Can't wait to get to Cozumel next week and have a 24 oz. "langosta" (lobster) tail and some conch!

Zappaman

WKR
Youre defintely not wrong about that.
I look at it this way... 99% of my steaks are awesome and made at home- I truly live the life of a 19th century king with regards to the food I eat (40% grown produce and 70% harvested meat at home) AND the wine/scotch I drink (thank "dog" for Costco!). Not every night is steak night, but at least a few times a week, I grab some loin, back-strap, or hanger (elk, deer, oryx, or bore) and open a good bottle for my wife and I here in Kansas. It's our family tradition.

But, then I also grind burger (with beet fat) and eat plenty of excellent dishes there too (tater-tot casserole, spaghetti, and the wife's favorite: beef and noodle with cheese. Also cook soups once a week (great for left-overs) using the bone-in cuts as well. My dog gets EVERY scrap off my animals I kill- ground for her and cooked once a week- rolled into her "jack-rabbit flavored corn pellets" and she's one happy dog!

As my wife is the bread winner (most years) I have time to hunt (a lot) and be the culinary husband for the family. I butcher ALL my own animals and I find ways to prepare them for us where we BOTH like the outcome-- it's a trip and I love it!

Still... twice a year or so, we go to a bad-ass steakhouse and drop the coin on a monster steak (always put up on Facebook) and killer bottle of wine. We aren't rich by any means, but we sometimes have to do the "thing" (usually while on the road) and I'm happy to get out with a $200 bill for a good bottle of red, a 24+ oz. steak, and a happy doggy bag ;)

And as already stated... Texas Roadhouse's prime is a great treat when we do a weekend day-time run to Topeka or KC about an hour away.

All that said... an 8oz steak for $40 is 100% bullshit and I'll never buy a "tiny" steak for that. But give me a 24+ oz. ribeye (or a 34+ oz. T-bone) for $80 (prime) and I'll buy it because it's that... OR some "french" plate with 8 oz. of complete horseshit on a big (empty) plate-- F*** that!!!

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting the NY Strip. Wagyu is not on many menus and I really want to try it. I may add the lobster tail, Jalapeno corn, and a Hunters baked potato. I do not mind paying high dollar for food as long as its high quality.

Rock-o

WKR
There's a problem with the post. Is $300 the limit or that's simply the amount that is burning the hole and more can be spent??? If I'm going out for a steak dinner I'm not half-assing it.

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
Porterhouse for me. While expensive it’s always nice for the wife to get dolled up and have a night out.

Last time I was at our local steakhouse a grandma at next table was taking the family out for Dinner. Waiter came out with tray full of their drinks. Long Ice tea, Martinis, High balls, Wine, plus more. I did a quick count and figured there was easily over $400 worth of drinks on that tray. Not sure why but that amazed me, just so much excess. Crazy.

Last edited:
Of course there is. We grain supplement for one month to finish before locker hanging, our beef hung 21 days this year, Oct 20 until Nov.10th.
And there's a huge difference in corn or exclusively grain-fed beef, and grass fed. The former is garbage in comparison and it isn't natural. Nobody wants that crap here, it's largely an Midwestern and Eastern thing.
To each his own, but my family never knew quality beef until we moved West. When we started growing a bit of beef we got a bit more serious about it.

Moving on, sidetracked enough. We won't change any minds here.
Corn fed and grain fed isn’t natural?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I see very, very, very few good, finished all grass feed beef. You might pasture them on decent grass but most are always supplemented and then fed grain heavily for at least 90 days at the end. If you are relying on good grass in the West then good luck. Unless you have specific pasture grass planted and have flood irrigation. Better spray for intrusive weeds but that isn’t natural either.

I think your sad if you pay this much for a meal,,, wait a minute I probably have 40 dollars a pound in my venison and elk. I’ll shut up.

Btaylor

WKR
Corn fed and grain fed isn’t natural?! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I see very, very, very few good, finished all grass feed beef. You might pasture them on decent grass but most are always supplemented and then fed grain heavily for at least 90 days at the end. If you are relying on good grass in the West then good luck. Unless you have specific pasture grass planted and have flood irrigation. Better spray for intrusive weeds but that isn’t natural either.
@Broomd is right, it isnt natural. Just because a practice has been adapted for decades does not make it natural. Same could be said for row crop ag as well. We can grow the crap out of some crop if we put enough synthetic fert and supplemental water on it. But it is not natural and is raping the life out of the very soils we depend on to feed the country. You want to see farming and ranching done as natural as possible, study up a bit on Gabe Brown's operation.

Gobbler36

WKR
Definitely the cowboy, charred to medium with the Gorgonzola butter. lobster Mac and Brussels sprouts. Big slice of carrot cake at the end of its homemade. Angel envy bourbon meat from start to finish order the Mrs a bottle of nice red

I’ve got a bunch of elk and deer also that I usually much prefer the taste of as well but once in a while that charred fat of a rib-eye calls to me lol

Looks like a good place, never a bad investment to spend the evening wine and dining our women. The wives of Rokslide I’m sure have a tough fall, treat em right fellas

Broomd

WKR
@Broomd is right, it isnt natural. Just because a practice has been adapted for decades does not make it natural. Same could be said for row crop ag as well. We can grow the crap out of some crop if we put enough synthetic fert and supplemental water on it. But it is not natural and is raping the life out of the very soils we depend on to feed the country. You want to see farming and ranching done as natural as possible, study up a bit on Gabe Brown's operation.

+1.
Excellent posting on some irony gold by 'butcherboy' of all peeps. I suspect that he didn't watch that video.
Read Omnivore's Dilemma to find out just how bad corn is for everything. Don't get me wrong, I'm guilty of lovin' some good corn-on-the-cob. And I don't agree with everything in that book, but it breaks down just how bad corn and high fructose corn syrup really are and just how bad our modern farming practices have become for our soils and nutrition.
Don't want to sidetrack here, but north Idaho and the Pacific Northwest have plenty of good grass to grow good beef. Our cows on the creek bottom this June....

btw...Nothing here is 'sprayed or planted,' very few weeds. The simple truth is that nothing you stated is factual overall and as it relates to our farm, butcherboy.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_201f.jpg

Last edited:

hunt1up

WKR
Always go with the Ribeye when you have these types of selections. The exception might be a hanger steak or, occasionally, you’ll see a Conflexus muscle, but very rare.

Filet is the least interesting cut of beef on a cow. I worked in a craft butcher shop for awhile and we made this observation: bitchy women with beat-into-submission-husbands order filets. Sexy woman with men with respectable taste order ribeyes.

Bourbon neat.
I was going to order the filet....