Steel for ike jime?

NoLa

FNG
Sorry that this is a slight deviation from the normal Meat & Trophy Care but I was hoping that someone here might be able to help.

I am headed to Kodiak next year for a boat based blacktail hunt and will be fishing too. I have been learning about ike jime and want to make my own Shinkei Jime wire. You use the wire to destroy a fish's spinal cord. Making my own sounds like a fun project to with my 5 yo.

I am having trouble figuring out what type of stainless steel is used and hoping someone here may know from the characteristics. Below is a link to one for sale.

I really appreciate any leads or ideas on the steel type. Thanks all!

BBob

WKR
316 is probably the most common alloy for use in food service. It is very corrosion resistant. McMaster carries various sizes of 316SS wire. You'd have to convert gauge size to decimal diameter.

Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 9.54.52 AM.png
The steel used for the kill spike is 316
Screen Shot 2023-09-24 at 10.57.13 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
N

NoLa

FNG
316 is probably the most common alloy for use in food service. It is very corrosion resistant. McMaster carries various sizes of 316SS wire. You'd have to convert gauge size to decimal diameter.

View attachment 605298
The steel used for the kill spike is 316
View attachment 605345
Just placed the order, thanks for your help.

JrCaps

FNG
Take a look at MTC Kitchen or Korin out of NY/LA. They are Japanese kitchen supply stores that offer legit sushi ware. I recall them carrying this item. Don't remember the metal they are made from.