Steri Pen

Just spent 5 days in the Colorado Wilderness drinking water from sources containing beaver and or cow shit. Pretty gross water 100 % of the time. I even drank some water that I later found to be below a half decomposed moo cow. I used the steripen for the first time in place of my usual sweetwater filter and must say I am a convert. Its been close to 2 weeks and no issues. I did not use a prefilter or any other set up. I give it a thumbs up.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for posting this! I bought one year before last and used it a few times, but only in clear fresh water. I'm glad to hear that it worked well for you.

i use the sawyers, thinking about a kataydin but will look at these again,are they as fragile as i always thought they were?
tia

I went on a hunt with a couple of buddies and had to use a cow path crossing point for a water source. Minimal shallow flowing water with I’m certain poop and urine dumped in it some where. My buddy used a steripen and it freaked me out. I used a Hiker Pro and killed the filter with silt and debris. We finished the trip without incident and I was skeptical if and how the steripen would work until we came home without illness. Immediately bought one of my own and have used it a few times without incident.

Still no idea how the magic happens and it’s a crazy feeling just “trusting” that the steripen did its job. But it’s worked well for my buddies and I’m a convert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravisIN

WKR
I used one as well but also packed one of the swayer in line filters and an empty 2L bladder. I used both quite a bit and think I will continue to use both. I used the pen for my nalgene and the filter/bladder to fill up my bladder in my pack. I know it’s redundant but I drink a lot of water and I put trail packs in my nalgene for a little boost and some flavor.

Owenst7

WKR
i use the sawyers, thinking about a kataydin but will look at these again,are they as fragile as i always thought they were?
tia

No. I have a SteriPen and a couple Sawyers. I use the Sawyers primarily because they are a lot lighter, but I've never worried about using the SteriPen. I typically use the SteriPen where I'm going to leave it somewhere during freezing temps and I can't protect the Sawyer. I.e. I leave a Steripen in my truck with extra gear back at base camp, or sometimes I'll bring it on winter day hikes where I don't want anything in my pockets.

OP
Violent Hippie
tia

I've only used the steripen on this one trip but treated at least a gallon a day ( I drink alot of water ) for 5 days and had no issues. I didnt have it in any hard case or anything protecting it. Just had it in my pack.

OP
Violent Hippie
I went on a hunt with a couple of buddies and had to use a cow path crossing point for a water source. Minimal shallow flowing water with I’m certain poop and urine dumped in it some where. My buddy used a steripen and it freaked me out. I used a Hiker Pro and killed the filter with silt and debris. We finished the trip without incident and I was skeptical if and how the steripen would work until we came home without illness. Immediately bought one of my own and have used it a few times without incident.

Still no idea how the magic happens and it’s a crazy feeling just “trusting” that the steripen did its job. But it’s worked well for my buddies and I’m a convert.

I agree that it was hard to just trust it especially when there is literally fecal matter floating in there but it works. I'm heading back in a few days and plan to use it again .

Yeah which one is the go to. I remember on the gritty podcast that Brian’s crapped out but Aron’s was fine. They carried two different models of steripen but I can’t remember which one they said to buy. I think it was on the podcast where they talked about drinking the “elk budussy” water lol.

Aron said the Classic is the “best” and it’s the one he carries. Can’t remember Brian’s model though. I purchased the Adventurer model (123a) only because it was available at the time I needed one.

Classic was out of stock and I didn’t want a rechargeable model. Saved a few ounces and has worked well for me so far.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Aron said the Classic is the “best” and it’s the one he carries. Can’t remember Brian’s model though. I purchased the Adventurer model (123a) only because it was available at the time I needed one.

Classic was out of stock and I didn’t want a rechargeable model. Saved a few ounces and has worked well for me so far.

They both prefer the classic, uses AA batteries and they both had issues using some of the other models, like lamps going bad on them and battery life issues. I've been using the classic for 2+ seasons and it'd be hard to go back to a pump at this point. Only reason I'd carry a pump would be if I was in a spot where the only water source was a little grittier, haven't run into that issue yet...

They both prefer the classic, uses AA batteries and they both had issues using some of the other models, like lamps going bad on them and battery life issues. I've been using the classic for 2+ seasons and it'd be hard to go back to a pump at this point. Only reason I'd carry a pump would be if I was in a spot where the only water source was a little grittier, haven't run into that issue yet...

Thanks.