Steve almighty the meat eater

OP
S
Just wondering if you have experience with dog hunting in the south?

It's not at all like hound hunting in the west on large tracks of pu

Looks like you live in Virginia too. I don't personally dog hunt but its basically a religion down here. These days with gps collars and driving around in hoards of 5-12 trucks chasing one deer across a county doesn't seem fair, but that's their right. The number of people hunting versus the number of people who doesn't isn't exactly in our favor and we have to reduce herd numbers some how. Laws will be broken weather you dog hunt or don't. That just the morals of that particular group or person.

There is a rather large number of trump supporting republicans that don't like dog hunters for the same reasons as the youtuber.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t stand Steve and I have never really liked him. However I don’t support people who attempt to limit hunting rights either. They are both a holes.

Looks like you live in Virginia too. I don't personally dog hunt but its basically a religion down here. These days with gps collars and driving around in hoards of 5-12 trucks chasing one deer across a county doesn't seem fair, but that's their right. The number of people hunting versus the number of people who doesn't isn't exactly in our favor and we have to reduce herd numbers some how. Laws will be broken weather you dog hunt or don't. That just the morals of that particular group or person.

There is a rather large number of trump supporting republicans that don't like dog hunters for the same reasons as the youtuber.

I do dog hunt some, use to do it a lot more.

It's not from an ethical standpoint that I don't agree with it, tho it's not exactly my cup of tea either. It's how private property is handled, the dogs go where they go, which is to be expected, but a lot of the dog hunters use that to their advantage. Some self regulation is needed, and unfortunately due to the lack of it, there's going to be state regulations coming down.

When I hunted with guys who used short legged beagles it was fun, they would bump through a block and push deer as they followed the trail. Now it seems to all be about these long legged trial dogs that do more sight chase then trailing. They frequently go 3/4 mile when they get out of the truck just stretching theirs legs before they start to hunt. Unless you have a block of 5k acres, which some clubs do, there's not much point in using dogs like that.

Outlaws are outlaws, and they need to be prosecuted, but there's a culture in the deer doggers that I don't think is going away, at least not very soon.

The hunting is so different in the dog areas, the deer wouldn't be hard to kill if they weren't chased 12 months a year, this coyote hunting year round needs to stop.

bsnedeker

WKR
Bad move Steve. Even the tone he uses to say “duck farmer” is very condescending. Sorry we can’t all be fancy hunting personalities, but to be in that kind of position of power and influence and essentially talk down on the guy and come off like a bully is pretty crappy. IMO SR also got out social media’d by the guy which is pretty funny.

I grew up working in a sporting goods store in WI where hound hunting was big and it was a lot of mixed public and small/large private. The example that others are using about a huge buck you are patterning and hope to kill getting run out of its core area never to be seen again by a pack of hounds is a good example. It brings it home for hunters. Western WI had a rich hound hunting culture and there were hardcore deer guys and it got messy. I’m a huge advocate for private property rights, but also for public access to public land. If I own and pay taxes on my property there is no excuse for negative impacts to my land from others being there without permission. It doesn’t matter if it is running off a buck or bull, injuring or killing livestock/pet, damaging fence or outbuildings, whatever. It is not anyone else’s right to make trouble or work for me on my property. Accidents happen but hound guys know darn well that their dogs might chase a bear or Coon onto private when they drop the dogs, but they do it anyway in the hope they get their quarry and it works out.

For those saying Steve has done more for hunters, advocacy, whatever so he should get a pass for acting like he did. In my opinion there is no one in our society that deserves more respect than combat veterans, for what they do, the sacrifices they make, etc. If a CV grabbed your wife’s ass or disrespected your daughter in a bad way would you give them a pass, probably not. Doing great things is not a free pass to act like as big of an douche as you want. I feel like he thought he could act however he wanted in this situation and hunters would keep his back.

I’m all for retaining as many hunting rights as possible and fighting United against antis but as a fair chase hunter who enjoys many different types of hunting I internally choose not to hitch my wagon to certain groups like true canned high fence hunting and trespassers whether they are chasing their dogs or not.
THE "FARMER" HAS 436 THOUSAND YOUTUBE SUBSCRIBERS!

He's not a farmer! He's a YouTuber! Good grief!

This forum has gone absolutely insane when we have people in here trying to get us to side with an anti-hunter, social media influencer.

Property rights my ass!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Bluto

WKR
Just wondering if you have experience with dog hunting in the south?

It's not at all like hound hunting in the west on large tracks of public.
Yes. Originally from Alabama. Now I‘m stuck in Florida hunting public land. Sandwiched in the middle was 23 years mil bouncing around all over where I was fortunate enough to be out west and fall into the elk hunting addiction. (And pheasant, and chukar.) I only archery hunt here - personal decision not to be on crowded public land with an army of high powered rifles.

I listen to dogs running all of the time because the archery only areas are nearly surrounded on all sides by dog areas. (Deer and pigs.) Sometimes they come bounding through the archery (no dog) area. It is what it is.

This entire thread tries to equate complete lawlessness that is a gross minority to all dog hunting which is absurd, just because they don’t like Rinella.

The YouTube guy is a douche. Oddly enough, his channel has showed up in my feed for a LONG time as the small farm stuff is also an interest of mine. He’s a pompous, overbearing prick and has been for a long time. I thought it was hilariously predictable that he showed up in my “hunting world” in this manner. Sweet irony would be his neighbor getting in on the gig and posting a YouTube video about his stupid, annoying-ass white “guard” dogs.

Last edited:
This guy moves to the country, doesn't like the way they have done things there for HUNDREDS of years, starts a petition to outlaw the activity, tries to frame it as "I need bears to disturb my land for my trees" then complains that people see him as an outsider starting trouble? He's the victim?

... And y'all want me to be on HIS side?

CJF

WKR
tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

JjamesIII

WKR
Just because you are running dogs doesn’t give you trespassing rights. Hound guys are responsible for their dog’s actions. You need to run them on large contiguous tracts of land that you have legal access to. The rights of a tree hugger are no less important than the rights of the hunter. As hunters we may want to align ourselves with the bear dog guys, but that’s not fair.
I hunt with bird dogs. Different discipline, but my dog is under my control with an e-collar and a ton of training that goes with it. Hounds run big, Some areas simply don’t have that much accessible space to run them responsibly, particularly in the east coast.
That guy petitioning against hound hunting and trying to get it banned is more of a story to me. Once again, another person trying to infringe on the rights of others, based on their own opinions.

johnsd16

WKR
The northwest corner of the state is at or above normal snowpack, the nearest snotel site which only sits at 5100' shows just under 5' of snow. I'd say the chances to hunt very much of the Cabinets at the end of May is pretty slim.

THE "FARMER" HAS 436 THOUSAND YOUTUBE SUBSCRIBERS!

He's not a farmer! He's a YouTuber! Good grief!

This forum has gone absolutely insane when we have people in here trying to get us to side with an anti-hunter, social media influencer.

Property rights my ass!

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I never said I agree with his petition. I agree with the frustration of dogs ending up on his property, but most of my problem is with how SR behaved. From an alignment standpoint I'm much further from the duck farmer overall, but clearly closer to him on property rights, and closer to SR on hunting overall. These issues aren't so black and white.

bsnedeker

WKR
I never said I agree with his petition. I agree with the frustration of dogs ending up on his property, but most of my problem is with how SR behaved. From an alignment standpoint I'm much further from the duck farmer overall, but clearly closer to him on property rights, and closer to SR on hunting overall. These issues aren't so black and white.
Oh, that poor, poor social media influencer who got picked on by another social media influencer! Oh my goodness, we should all feel so bad for this person despite the fact that he is actively trying to destroy hunting rights!

I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight thinking about the plight of this poor guy!

BARF!

Just because you are running dogs doesn’t give you trespassing rights. Hound guys are responsible for their dog’s actions.
Except that in Vermont it does give you the right to trespass on unposted land to retrieve your dogs. You don't even have to notify the landowner. In this case, the hound hunter did notify the landowner, even though he didn't need to.

As has been stated before, this guy is not a farmer, he is someone who sold out of city life and moved to the country and is now a youtuber and uses ducks as his schtick on youtube to get views/likes/subscribers etc. His website even says that it is basically a hobby that he hopes might be profitable some day.

In his video he complains that posting his land is too difficult, "onerous" was his description. If he has a problem with the posting requirements, maybe that should be the focus of his petition.

I think Steve and his podcast talked about this situation in pretty much the same way that I would discuss it with any of my hunting friends. It's the same way I feel about any city slicker who moves into my area and then complains that the target shooting on the national forest is too loud and should be banned, when target shooting has happened in that spot for decades.

This "duck farmer" should stick to making sock puppet videos for his target audience of wannabe country folk.

Big private property rights advocate here... Nobody has a right, regardless or tradition, etc..., to trespass. The best way to responsibly deal with trespassing is to catch people in the act and charge them. In my experience, too many landowners and lease owners fail to prosecute when given the opportunity. They don't want to ruffle feathers in the local community, because sometimes the guys trespassing are high profile or have local influence.

In parallel there are steps that landowners can take to protect their property- trail cams, hot wires, and woven wire are a few things that can be installed to reduce frequency of law breaking. Catch a few guys and make sure they are charged to the maximum extent of the law and word will get out not to F--- around on your land. It is when there is indifference or passiveness with trespassing that it continues to happen and proliferate.

That all being said, it is wrong to throw the baby out with the bath water and attempt to ban hound hunting just because this guy can't manage his own property. I respect the traditions of responsible hunters that use dogs for coons, deer, squirrels, etc..., and the vast majority of these guys try to do the right thing.

Didn't a ME guys cabin burn down?

Like, he moved to an area, ruffled feathers and all of a sudden his cabin got burned?

Seems like a few parallels here...

Although one being outright arson.

KurtR

WKR
Big private property rights advocate here... Nobody has a right, regardless or tradition, etc..., to trespass. The best way to responsibly deal with trespassing is to catch people in the act and charge them. In my experience, too many landowners and lease owners fail to prosecute when given the opportunity. They don't want to ruffle feathers in the local community, because sometimes the guys trespassing are high profile or have local influence.

In parallel there are steps that landowners can take to protect their property- trail cams, hot wires, and woven wire are a few things that can be installed to reduce frequency of law breaking. Catch a few guys and make sure they are charged to the maximum extent of the law and word will get out not to F--- around on your land. It is when there is indifference or passiveness with trespassing that it continues to happen and proliferate.

That all being said, it is wrong to throw the baby out with the bath water and attempt to ban hound hunting just because this guy can't manage his own property. I respect the traditions of responsible hunters that use dogs for coons, deer, squirrels, etc..., and the vast majority of these guys try to do the right thing.
by law he was not trespassing. Seems he would be better served to change the land laws vs out lawing a type of hunting.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Mississippi and the dog hunting argument has gone round and round here for ages. I am not for taking away any type of hunting activity, but the majority of dog hunters, at least around here, have a horrible reputation. There are some respectful groups, but mostly dog hunting puts a bad taste in people's mouths, and they don't forget it. People with small blocks of land run them where a dog can cover that in minutes and be on another's land, and they know that. The people who don't want dogs on their land proclaim, "the dog can't read a posted sign" and "you don't own the deer", while both true, a private landowner should be able to enjoy his land without someone else running a dog across it if it is his wish. A lot of the dog owners here know what they are doing is wrong, yet they make halfhearted excuses about it to justify their actions. It is always a source of contention down here. I'm not saying outlawing the sport as a whole, but also don't let the dog owners' rights to hunt like he wants to trump the rights of a landowner who doesn't want them ran across his property.

Except that in Vermont it does give you the right to trespass on unposted land to retrieve your dogs. You don't even have to notify the landowner. In this case, the hound hunter did notify the landowner, even though he didn't need to.

As has been stated before, this guy is not a farmer, he is someone who sold out of city life and moved to the country and is now a youtuber and uses ducks as his schtick on youtube to get views/likes/subscribers etc. His website even says that it is basically a hobby that he hopes might be profitable some day.

In his video he complains that posting his land is too difficult, "onerous" was his description. If he has a problem with the posting requirements, maybe that should be the focus of his petition.

I think Steve and his podcast talked about this situation in pretty much the same way that I would discuss it with any of my hunting friends. It's the same way I feel about any city slicker who moves into my area and then complains that the target shooting on the national forest is too loud and should be banned, when target shooting has happened in that spot for decades.

This "duck farmer" should stick to making sock puppet videos for his target audience of wannabe country folk.
Exactly! The hound guy was in the right. He went above and beyond.

This guy clearly says in his actions that starting a petition to ban A LEGAL longstanding method of hunting was EASIER than posting his property. "oh, it took like 5 hours, poor me. All this land to walk and its so hard to do..." "it shouldn't be my responsibility" If you're gonna be "that guy" who moves in and challenges the status quo, at least be intellectually honest.

Give me a break. You cannot whine about "your property rights" when you're too lazy to even get out there and walk your boundary. Its clearly a ploy to shut down hunting.
Who the crap believes a bear is needed to "disturb the land for new trees?" That's so biologically unfounded and far from any grounding in reality you really can tell this guy is super fresh to the farm...

ThisIsMyHandle

Lil-Rokslider

Finally someone here that know wtf he’s talking about. Also I’ll add that in Vermont, any unposted land is huntable land. Same in Maine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I hang new signs on the land I manage roughly every other year and my neighbors do the same. At a buck a piece for the sign and a couple cents for a few screws, its a pretty minimal investment in time and money. Gee whiz man...