Sticky black residue

Juan_ID

WKR
Hey guys I’ve had this going on for a bit in my 223 and sometimes my 6.5 tikka t3x. After firing, the cases come out of the chamber with some sticky black residue around the case neck and shoulder, sometimes on down the case a little further. I have read it can be caused by low-medium pressure loads not having enough pressure to seal the case to the chamber before the bullet exits the barrel causing some carbon to be blown back onto the case. It doesn’t seem to effect anything as the rifles still shoot great and rounds chamber easy, it’s more just a pain to check each case for the residue after firing and the inconvenience of needing to clean them.

Just curious on your guys’ thoughts or if anyone else has had this happen? For what it’s worth the 223 loads are lapua brass 23.1-23.3gr xbr cci450 and 77tmk/73 eldm.
26D46BA2-1651-4F4B-96DD-50D7FCE9ACB7.jpeg

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Yep, Lube on neck and case.
I thought it could be lube just judging by the consistency of the residue. I am very light with the lube (hornady 1shot) and clean the hell out of the cases with a microfiber cloth after sizing and then they typically sit for a while before they’re loaded again. I will have to see if I can clean them better after sizing and see if it makes a difference. I also discovered that my sizing die had somehow come out of adjustment and my brass wasn’t getting sized correctly and thought that would have been adding to it as well.

Dos XX

WKR
I take a blue paper shop towel and pour 99% rubbing alchohol on it and wipe the loaded rounds with it. It will take off lube or whatever, and it dries really quick.

Also, make sure you don't have a big buildup of lube in your die.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
I take a blue paper shop towel and pour 99% rubbing alchohol on it and wipe the loaded rounds with it. It will take off lube or whatever, and it dries really quick.

Also, make sure you don't have a big buildup of lube in your die.
I will give the alcohol a shot, thanks. I am not super particular but do clean my dies every so often.

SouthPaw

WKR
I shoot the exact same load/components in my tikka .223 and would occasionally get that if I didn't clean the cases after sizing. Either wipe them off good or 30 mins in the tumbler is all it needs.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Tumble for an hour after re-sizing....lube problem solved
I shoot the exact same load/components in my tikka .223 and would occasionally get that if I didn't clean the cases after sizing. Either wipe them off good or 30 mins in the tumbler is all it needs.
No tumbler so I’ll have to just do a better job of cleaning them after sizing.
If you’re a non cleaner your chamber is probably loaded with junk.

You can either deal with it or clean.
I am currently a non cleaner, but I think I may clean the chamber just this once since I’m sure there is some is that sticky crap in there and I just don’t like the sticky dirty brass after firing so may as well try and get rid of it all at once.

Lawnboi

WKR
No tumbler so I’ll have to just do a better job of cleaning them after sizing.

I am currently a non cleaner, but I think I may clean the chamber just this once since I’m sure there is some is that sticky crap in there and I just don’t like the sticky dirty brass after firing so may as well try and get rid of it all at once.

I was a non cleaner for a few years and I’m not anymore.

My 223 brass looked like it had been fired in an AR at one point before I started cleaning.

You will likely need to soak your chamber for a bit if you have that much sticky stuff in there.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Thought I’d give an update. As much as it pained me to do so I cleaned the rifle to the best of my abilities then went out and shot about 30 rounds. I didn’t clean the ammo at all before doing so and the cases came out clean. I guess my chamber was just dirty? Whatever it was, I should be good for a few more thousand rounds before I need to clean it again…
4B942004-F1AA-46DF-A306-511D700295E8.jpeg

49ereric

WKR
Why so? I am intrigued now…
Everything looks rough is why.
I chambered an empty case and put the borescope down the muzzle to check chamber neck length and the inside of the case neck looked worse than the frosted barrel. Looks are deceiving.

Lawnboi

WKR
Why so? I am intrigued now…
It’s going to look like a charcoal briquette for 6-10 inches.

I didn’t clean mine thoroughly for around 2000 rounds then started having pressure and accuracy problems. Decided to soak the bore for a few days before I shipped the rifle off for a new barrel as I was sick of 2 minute groups. It went back to normal after that.

I had similar happen to my 6.5 creedmoor at 1200 rounds.

I clean now.