Stiff boots that walk ok on flat terrain?

unchained

Lil-Rokslider
I got some Scarpa Charmoz I bought for a high mule deer hunt and they were excellent for that application. Just got back from an elk hunt where I would have liked something as stiff but “rolled” better on some of the flatter terrain. Eyeing the Scarpa Ribelles, are there any other options?

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Ribelles a few weeks ago. I have only broken them in around town, but so far I really like them. They definitely have more of a rocker. Coming from lowa tibets they feel much lighter, streamlined and easier to walk in. I bought them primarily to test out hdry, but haven't got that far.

James

FNG
I'll second yeti14 recommendation of the scarpa ribelle hd. I just pickup up a pair and doing some initial testing doing some walks on asphalt, you can feel the extra bit of rocker built in. They definelty are still stiff mountaineering style boots but better than most I've tried on hard ground. You will probably also enjoy them being significantly lighter than the charmoz

tdot

WKR
The Ribelle HD's are as close to a perfect boot as I've found. Stiff enough for the steeps, and the rocker allows them to be used on flat hardpacked trails, even without a pack, without destroying my feet.

They are definitely not the stiffest boots out there though.

I'm also very happy with the Outdry. I've had them in rain and river crossings and my feet haven't gotten wet. Hiked in temps of 75-80 degrees and my feet weren't unacceptably wet.

I've got hundreds of miles on them and while they arent showing signs of failure, I'm seriously considering buying a 2nd pair as backup.

I got some Scarpa Charmoz I bought for a high mule deer hunt and they were excellent for that application. Just got back from an elk hunt where I would have liked something as stiff but “rolled” better on some of the flatter terrain. Eyeing the Scarpa Ribelles, are there any other options?

Are you looking for a 3 season boot? The Ribelles are great for 3 but I would not consider them a 4 season boot.

JDZ

WKR
Do the Ribelle fit the same as the Charmoz as far as length, width, and such?

tdot

WKR
The Ribelle and Charmoz are built on different lasts and definitely fit slightly differently. I've only tried the Charmoz on in-store, but that was enough to know the fit wasn't for me, where as the Ribelle fit me very well. As I recall the Charmoz was slightly tighter across the width of the toe box and also slightly less height through my midfoot.