Still doing your own wrenching?

Coldtrail

WKR
I go by the rule that if I cant fix/maintain it myself I dont buy it, I look at all the powersports stuff people buy with their "extra" money and I dont think it crosses their mind that things break at some point & costs to repair are $$$$$$. Doing my own work and having some know how helps me know what I have and allows me to confidently buy used, and run some pretty high mileage vehicles with reasonable confidence that there isn't some gremlin lurking ready to leave me stranded between points A & B. For 99% of what I use a truck for, it would be ridiculous for me to own a $75,000+ decked out rig anyway so it all works well for me.

I dont do mine anymore. I moved into a small place in suburbia and I can make more doing what I do for a living than I can save. I never really enjoyed mechanic work but I think its great many do and can still do their own. If my Dad knew I didn't even mow my own lawn he would kick my butt. He did everything himself whether or not it saved him money or not. If I’m not working at my job or eating I'm hunting or fishing or getting ready to. I do work on my own guns and fishing equipment. I do enjoy that.

Weldor

WKR
Yeap, from painting the house to brakes on my 480E . Keeps you hopping, but you know it's done right.

2blade

WKR
I still do most of mine unless it involves leaning over the engine for to long, my back can no longer handle that. Still do all the maintenance around the house too.

WBrim

WKR
I really like to do my own, even if it is often a learn as you go sort of a deal.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
While it is a bit of a pain no doubt, the fact is I don't really trust the dealership (or other shop) to do the job right. I like to torque stuff to spec, use the right fluids and I often see things that need attention that they might overlook.

Besides it keeps me in good form for cursing :ROFLMAO:

I still do most work that needs to be done. I tend not to keep vehicles long enough to require major maintenance these days.
All my yard tools, mowers, etc... are battery or plug in now... No need to mess with oil, carbs, spark plugs... not a single smelly fuel can in my garage.
My first 4 wheeled vehicle was a 1955 chevy stepside pickup with a big ass tunnel ram on a 427 from a 68 impala, muncie 4 speed, ford 9" rear end, ladder bars... pro street truck that I drove daily as a teenager.
That and crotch rockets from a hayabusa to gsxr1000s... I was always tinkering or fixing something. After that truck I ended up with a 2002 WS6 trans am with a one off turbo setup.... an old 1.9L TDI (diesel) vw jetta, propane injected, with a big propane tank in the trunk.
They were fun when I was in my 20s... but I just don't have the patience to mess with that stuff anymore.

tuffcity

WKR
Spent way too much time yesterday putting new plugs into the 5.7 hemi that powers my wife's daily driver. What a PITA! :)

wapitibob

WKR
I don't care for it but just did front/rear diff, transfer case, and tranny fluid replacement on the 2020 f150 @78,000. Engine oil every 5,000.

JeffP_Or

WKR
..Everything but ball joints...
I just did a front lower on my Chevy this weekend - took that on after doing the rear pinion seal that had been hemorrhaging gear oil all over the rear underside of the truck. I am lucky and still have contact with people and tools that are available and willing to help. Tool access [and a lift] are really helpful.
Most all fluids and lube I do.
I am smart enough/old enough to know when I better take it to the pro's though! :LOL:

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
I really like working with my hands but it has taken a toll on my body. My wife and I do most of our house repairs. Though we did hire someone to remodel our hall bathroom to make it handicap accessible for my mother.
We have a great Ford dealership locally and they do all of our maintenance and repair work. It just isn’t fun crawling around under vehicles anymore.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's funny I'm just the opposite of a lot of folks- I'd rather mechanic than home repair; put a hammer or saw in my hands and I'll screw it up, put a wrench on my hands and I can usually make way through it (with a lot of cussing of course! :ROFLMAO:

Weldor

WKR
Just rebuilt my case 480 loader gannon control valves(130 lbs disconnected) . The rebuild is not bad, Its my back that takes the punishment. Not as durable as it use to be. But sure saves money for hunting. Last time I had service truck up here it started at $934 hr just to show up. crazy money.

Only takes a couple busted knuckles and a few cuss words before I just take my stuff to the mechanic.
I remember buying a new engine for my 1970 bronco way back when.
Put the standard transmission in neutral, pulled the old 302 engine, carefully installed the new one.
New engine worked great, but I could not put the transmission in gear.
Turns out by having the standard transmission in neutral, the roller bearings dropped to the
bottom of the transmission.

Luckily I had mechanic friend a block away.
So I hand carried the transmission to his shop.
He looked up seeing me and said "Damn college kids!"
He disassembled and re-assembled the transmission in 10 minutes with no manuals.

Ever since the I just do the basic maintenance work: fluid and filters, etc.
We have 4 used vehicles so it seems like I'm always doing maintenance on them or the ATV or boat.

REP

FNG
Classified Approved
I've been a shade tree mechanic for over 48 years. I bought my first car when I was 15...when there were plugs, points, distributers...etc...

However, I must admit that for the last 20 years technology has made it impossible for me to do much more than general maintenance. To be a technician you need a Junior College degree in automotive repair and a PhD in computers. I still try when something crops up, but generally I end up taking it to a local mechanic I trust.

vladkgb

FNG
I still do, although the wife has been threatening to ban me from doing anymore oil changes due to all the spills on the pavers 😬

OP
M

MTGunner

Lil-Rokslider
Have been working on new off-road mini travel trailer. Bought a Ukancamp 14’, single axle trailer. weighs in at approx. 1700# dry. I have added Renology Solar charge controller, 20 amp solar disconnect for dry camping. Will install a 24 series NPP AGM battery within the aluminum box on the front. Also added an aluminum diamond plate front barrier rock guard. This small rig has air conditioner, entertainment center, cook top in the rear, 12 gallon water tank and a small refrigerator. It is SMALL! Wife informed me that her camping days are over. So, sold my 19’ Coachman Nano Apex for good money and investing the proceeds in my new small off-road rig. More to follow. MTG

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpeg
    IMG_2270.jpeg
    267.4 KB · Views: 11