Stock painting? Aluma Hyde and stencils?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m going to tackle my first stock paint job. Going for a GAP look with stencils and FDE, Black and OD Green. My question is, when do I peel off the stencils? Do I need to let it fully cure between coats? Brownells says 10-14 days! I don’t want the stencils pulling up the paint underneath, but I’d also prefer not to have this stock painting job take 6 weeks and I don’t want to bake a McMillian stock either. Suggestions?

My first suggestion is to have the paint cans and ambient up near 80 degrees. Aluma-Hyde doesn’t spray well and clogged tips if it’s not warm. (When I read the reviews complaining of clogs I imagine the reason was temp)

I’ve not waited more than a few hours between coats or colors. I haven’t used stencils. I pulled the masking as soon as it was no longer tacky.

In my experience the color they call Coyote is closer to magpul FDE than the one they call FDE.
(You should research this. I only currently have coyote so can’t compare. )

This video shows a bit.

Last edited:
I'm curious what these stencils are and look like? Never heard of them

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR

These are the stencils.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
My first suggestion is to have the paint cans and ambient up near 80 degrees. Aluma-Hyde doesn’t spray well and clogged tips if it’s not warm. (When I read the reviews complaining of clogs I imagine the reason was temp)

I’ve not waited more than a few hours between coats or colors. I haven’t used stencils. I pulled the masking as soon as it was no longer tacky.

In my experience the color they call Coyote is closer to magpul FDE than the one they call FDE.
(You should research this. I only currently have coyote so can’t compare. )

This video shows a bit.

Thanks for the tip on temp. I had read that too.