Stock vs Chassis for Recoil Control (Heavy Calibers)

I didn’t think I’d ever want another weatherby, but a local shop took a very nice wood stocked mark V in 300 and it’s dirt cheap - I’m kinda liking the glossy stock more than I thought I would. Lol
True grainy shined wood gloss is a level of pretty I’m usually not prepared for lol something nostalgically beautiful about it. Like a national park or monument. Or an old steel body truck.

TaperPin

WKR
True grainy shined wood gloss is a level of pretty I’m usually not prepared for lol something nostalgically beautiful about it. Like a national park or monument. Or an old steel body truck.
You couldn’t have said it better - 1980’s best polyurethane, like the odd squarish interior of the F150 of that period, fake wood dash and all - with a Nylon 77 on the gun rack and xp-100 under the seat.

Admiring the nicely figured walnut, crisp checkering, unnaturally glossy action and barrel, I did have an uncomfortable moment where it hit me that at that moment in time I had become my father - much like George Costanza WAS a marine biologist the moment he removed the golf ball from the whale’s blow hole.

As a kid, from a distance I secretly made fun of out of state hunters who came to Wyoming with their Weatherby rifles and Zeiss binoculars. What knuckleheads would spend that kind of money when a Model 70 or 700 would work just as well. In my twenties a Weatherby stock and unfamiliar face at the local rifle range drew me close so I could outshoot them and when going down range to check targets casually say, “Well, elk are awfully big, you’ll probably hit one.” Weatherbys of that period were not great shooters. Lol

I never realized the forend is squarish, but nicely so - perfect shape to ride a bag. The pistol grip also has a nice shape to hold on to and just feels good - the cheek piece felt smooth like snuggling up to a girlfriend.