Stone glacier De Havilland pant

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
They’re up on the website now. Did anyone have a hand in testing them, see them in person? Looks like a mid to late season pant?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have a pair I just picked up last week - they are heavier than a FL corrugate material, but I think they wear cooler than kuiu attacks, they aren’t brushed inside. The material seems tough, good stretch. The pockets use that same quiet clasp as the Sitka cargo pockets. I think they kind of combine the best features of most of the brands.

They are different than any other pant I own - the waist fits higher and flatter, very much purpose built for wearing a backpack. I’m still monkeying with the movable zipper. There’s no button at the top, it’s just the plastic clasp.

Kotaman

WKR
I ordered a pair to try...they look good, I have reservations about the movable zipper, but agree they tried to take features of some of the more popular hunting pants on the market.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
How did they fit? Athletic, baggy, length?

Athletic.
But I think the upper waist through the thighs is more roomy than a pair of kuiu pants, and they get pretty trim from the knee down, open up a bit at the foot end. The fabric has good stretch so they are quite comfortable.

Medium is 32” inseam. I wear a 31” waist and the smalls were too tight for me, mediums work fine. I have to move the zipper “in” to soak up a bit of extra fabric at the waist. I’m 5’8” tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
I wear a 32x34 jean, a 33T in Sitka, so I ordered a Medium-Tall in the SG pants. I'll update with how they fit. What's not clear to me at this point, is whether or not you are supposed to wear a belt with their new contour system. What's the thought on that?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I wear a 32x34 jean, a 33T in Sitka, so I ordered a Medium-Tall in the SG pants. I'll update with how they fit. What's not clear to me at this point, is whether or not you are supposed to wear a belt with their new contour system. What's the thought on that?

There’s loops so you can, but I don’t think you need one since the waist has a buckle closure.

These pants look like the bomb dot com. I really like the nylon/poly ratio of material to really maximize the durability and fast drying. From what I can tell its a true do it all pant that can be worn early to last season. If its anything like their backpacks these will be top notch quality.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can anyone draw a material comparison to another popular pant? Looks to me like it’s heavy (timberline) but the massive vents should negate that?

Speaking of the vents is there two sliders so you can adjust where it opens?

Any rear pockets at all?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Can anyone draw a material comparison to another popular pant? Looks to me like it’s heavy (timberline) but the massive vents should negate that?

Speaking of the vents is there two sliders so you can adjust where it opens?

Any rear pockets at all?

Yes on rear pockets, both sides - they have a flap that covers them, no zipper.

I don’t think it’s quite timberline thick, can’t comment on how hot they wear as it’s been cold lately. I would call it close to the Kuiu attack in thickness, but the interior isn’t brushed, it’s more like the interior of the first lite corrugates. Less stretch than the FL pant, but still has a ton. I for one appreciate that it isn’t excessive with 12-14% spandex. The fabric has a nice tight weave, the nylon/poly blend has a crisper feel to it, kind of the newer primeflex weave kuiu is using on the talus hybrid and pro pants.

Two sliders on vents - one at the top and one on the bottom, like the jacket pit zips. Zipper pulls are cord with a plastic melted over the knot end.

Trial153

WKR
I undertand the gray rational, stone.. yadda yadda but i would rather not look like an astronaut. They need to consider some muted earth tones.

Trial153

WKR
Didn't know hunting was all about a fashion show...
Did I say it was a fashion show? I must missed that part where typed that. if anyone is making it a fashion show its SG no one else. When matching your theam color is more important then picking a color that is applicable to the situation and clothings use that seems like way more of fashion statement then anything I wrote.

I stand by what I wrote. I want hunting clothing in muted earth tones not space suit gray.

Spacesuits and Astronauts? Yeah, I'd say appearance is pretty important in fashion shows...

Catering to rifle hunters more than BOWhunters I guess. Maybe the applicable colors would be Verde 2.0 or Subalpine?

Too much solid green, and now you look like moss, too much solid brown and now you're a mushroom. Too much camo and now you're just a poster child...

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t mind more color choices and hopefully like their packs we’ll see some kind of tan or green.

rm06

WKR
I know my gray SG pack blends in surprisingly well with its surroundings on the rare occasion I take it off in the field. The gray seems to take on other colors like a chameleon and doesn't stand out against much. I can't speak to their clothing line as I don't own any but I know my OG Attack pants in gray look green in the woods. Look up in Google images wolf gray vs foliage green, cameras seem to accentuate the color differences but in the field they don't show a lot of difference, at least to my eye.

The guy behind the invention of the fusion camo pattern said in his studies that ungulates see gray colors as bright purple glow due to how ungulates view gray. He went further on to say he was shocked that so many companies use gray colors in their camo based on the evidence. Again, i'm not taking this as gospel, but it is interesting. I'm not big on camo vs solids colors, but I definitely would not wear a certain color if I knew I was glowing on the side of the hill.