Stone glacier De Havilland pant

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
I love Stone Glacier, been using their packs since I bummed a demo in the early days. But dang there are about 5,000 softshell pants on the market from reputable makers (Arc'teryx, Rab, Westcomb, Patagonia, NW Alpine etc.), many of which can be had in earth tones. If your thing is ultralight, I personally wouldn't be putting zippers all over and coming in at 1.5 lbs. Just my opinion. I sincerely hope they continue to succeed as a compnay.

2lbScout

FNG
It's interesting that everyone thinks their loud. The hydro holster of theirs drives me nuts because my water bottle sloshes and makes tons of noise

That holster is annoying isn’t it! Man I thought I was the only one that got pissed at that thing.

I wouldnt call the pants bell bottoms, but definately wider than sitka and perfect for me, almost identical to the 1st generation attack pants. I assume they are wider because Kurt is an extreme mountain guy who dons plastic boots so he would need a touch wider bottom. I suppose in the spirit of catering to everyone the material is there and can be taken out if you hate it, and harder to add if tou want more. dunno. If a guy is wearing gators it isnt asking alot to have a little extra material. I would rather wear a pant that goes over my boot rather than get held up at the knot and then bunch at the top of my boot. I’m not going to get worked up over it thats for sure. Get a pair, they are worth it if you like gear.

Muttly

WKR
If they are wider at the bottom like the current Attacks, there is an appeal for a guy like me that wears size 14s.. I have a pair of Timberlines, like em, but below the knees look like I,m wearing skinny jeans..
Mine are astronaut grey, or as the blacktails around here call em, redneck hiviz..
Gotta admit, I am curious about these SGs..

Kotaman

WKR
I just compared them with old Attacks. They are at least 1/4” wider at the bottom than the old Attacks. They are similar to the new Attacks and Prana’s I’ve owned. The pants have enough other quality features I may be able to get past the wider bottoms. These pants are definitely unique. They’re a heavier weight pant, have huge hip zips and a different waist style that what we’ve seen. Time will tell for me...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Sort of a disappointing thread, I was really looking forward to these pants but now I’m thinking of just sticking with my kuiu pants, maybe just get the pro pant. I had really high hopes but the bell bottom thing and the non conventional waist thing....I don’t know. I guess maybe I’ll hold out for some updates after people have really had them out and used them.

LJ Buck

WKR
So I thought the same thing about the wider pant until I spent last season in the Kryptek Altitude Tora pant. I loved it when it came to covering the boot. And over all function.

If you think they are to loud then your moving to fast IMO.

Also no one has had time to test them. It’s all out of the box reviews and seriously if you haven’t spent 20+ days on a pair of pants it’s hard to say how they function.

Also remember SG Designed these and did a fair amount of testing so based on their track record I would say they will have a high level of performance for their target audience.

Kotaman

WKR
So I thought the same thing about the wider pant until I spent last season in the Kryptek Altitude Tora pant. I loved it when it came to covering the boot. And over all function.

If you think they are to loud then your moving to fast IMO.

Also no one has had time to test them. It’s all out of the box reviews and seriously if you haven’t spent 20+ days on a pair of pants it’s hard to say how they function.

Also remember SG Designed these and did a fair amount of testing so based on their track record I would say they will have a high level of performance for their target audience.

I agree with this post. Also know, my "bell bottom" comments are a bit tongue in cheek as one should know they aren't actually "bell bottoms". They are just simply wider at the foot than what we are used to. If you've been wearing KUIU Attacks, Pranas or, as the above poster stated, Kryptek Altitudes lately, these are probably very similar in bottom width. They're different from most everything else and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited:
Following this waiting for some real world reviews before pulling the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sort of a disappointing thread, I was really looking forward to these pants but now I’m thinking of just sticking with my kuiu pants, maybe just get the pro pant. I had really high hopes but the bell bottom thing and the non conventional waist thing....I don’t know. I guess maybe I’ll hold out for some updates after people have really had them out and used them.

Just so I’m tracking...

You dont like that a cold weather, later season pant is designed to go over cold weather later season boots?

And you don’t like that the waist is designed to be able to eliminate the huge bunch of fabric that’s cause when you cinch down a waist belt?

How bou the jacket?? Anyone have the jacket??

Yes. I’ve had both before they were released. What are you looking to know?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just so I’m tracking...

You dont like that a cold weather, later season pant is designed to go over cold weather later season boots?

And you don’t like that the waist is designed to be able to eliminate the huge bunch of fabric that’s cause when you cinch down a waist belt?

Yes. I’ve had both before they were released. What are you looking to know?

I’ve never felt there was an insufficient amount of fabric for my “late season” boots on any of the kuiu or Sitka pants I’ve used so I guess I don’t see the need for it on a new pair, I’ve also not had the issue with fabric bunching from a belt because I buy pants that fit so it just seems like a fix for problems that don’t exist.

It’s all preference, I know when we are discussing scopes it’s dumb to argue facts but with clothing it’s 100% user preference. I may still get these pants but with all the other options that have comr out recently (Kiuo talus, pro, axis) it’s not going to be as easy of a sell for me.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve never felt there was an insufficient amount of fabric for my “late season” boots on any of the kuiu or Sitka pants I’ve used so I guess I don’t see the need for it on a new pair, I’ve also not had the issue with fabric bunching from a belt because I buy pants that fit so it just seems like a fix for problems that don’t exist.

It’s all preference, I know when we are discussing scopes it’s dumb to argue facts but with clothing it’s 100% user preference. I may still get these pants but with all the other options that have comr out recently (Kiuo talus, pro, axis) it’s not going to be as easy of a sell for me.

To be clear, I was just trying to be clear. They were genuine questions.

I haven’t had an issue with current pants and my boots either, but they were designed that way.

As for the belt- when you cinch your pack belt down when you have a heavy load in it- you don’t have a fold/bunch of your pants due to squeezing the belt down? Preferences do matter, however literally every single person I have ever seen with a pack cinches the hip belt tighter then they normall have their pants. When you do that, that excess material goes somewhere.

Everyone is talking about fit, but these pants have highly technical fabric. the Poly to Nylon ratio sets it apart from the Attach or Timberline pants. I realize fit is important, but based on the fabrics used and reputation of SG, I would go out on a limb and think they will be more durable than the attacks and timberlines.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you all for the interest in our new clothing. As there were a few questions in regard to the design, below I will try to answer those questions:

The “boot cut”-

While the boot cut is more noticeable at the cuff, the cut actually extends up into the mid-thigh area. This creates slightly more volume through the knee and lower thigh along with slightly more room for larger mountaineering or late season boots. There are several other issues that this cut helps to alleviate.

First, the “boot cut” creates the needed room for the optional knee pads which provides a more comfortable ride by keeping the knee pads from pulling tight on the knee cap while hiking. The added room also helps the knee pad stay properly positioned when kneeling as the pant hangs more freely over the knee area. I found this to be a fine line, too much volume and the pad can rotate to the side and miss the knee when kneeling, too little volume and the pad pulls tight to the knee cap and rubs excessively while hiking. For those interested, we suggest the Crye Precision knee pads, very durable, proven, and light. This is the primary knee pad I designed the pant pocket to use.

Second, I found the tighter the pant was through the knee and lower thigh, the higher the pant would tend to settle and ride, especially with the increased friction caused by a merino base layer. The “boot” cut helps to keep the pant from migrating above the boot line when kneeling, sitting to glass, or even hiking. Simply put, I got tired of having to rearrange a pant cuff over my boots every time I got up from glassing or stepping over downfall as the pant would ride above the boot line (when not using gaiters.) The added volume helps the pant to hang more naturally off the hips and over the knee to ride at a more consistent height off the boot.

Lastly, and most important for me, the cut allows for more space when layering, specifically with a down puff layer like our down pants in colder conditions. My goal was to create a pant that could be used all season, from early Sep through winter hunts (or for any outdoor activity.) Large side vents to move heat early season, then an adjustable waist and the available space to add layers for late season snow conditions. Overall the pant was not designed to be an “ultralight” pant, but rather a very durable versatile pant that will hold up to the toughest mountain conditions in all 4 seasons.

Contour Waist-
The Contour waist is a patent pending system that simply allows the user to change the waist size by moving the zipper fly location, instead of using a button for top closure, we use an adjustable low profile buckle. This adjustment allows the excess fabric to overlap flat in the front opposed to being bunched up around the waist. The goal was to create the lowest volume waist line possible, minimize excess fabric bunching and belt loop thickness that can cause hotspots and rubbing under a heavy pack. This has been a long term issue for me, most pants are made in 2” even increments, I am a 33” and can drop as low as a 32” towards the end of the season. Most of the time I was stuck with 34” or Large pants and a belt which created fabric bunching and hot spots when tightened. The Contour waist has 3” of adjustment, this also allows the user to make waist adjustments depending on the temp and base layers you prefer for an exact fit. It even gives enough room to add a down puff layer under the pant in very cold temps, (as previously mentioned for the “boot cut”)

We are currently working on a video, we hope to have it completed in the coming weeks. Most of our staff is on the road now with show season in full swing, but we will keep you posted.
Thanks again for your interest.
Best,
Kurt

Grumman

WKR
I have the same waist sizing issue at 33” and your contour description makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the extra info these may be the ticket for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
Thanks for chiming in Kurt. (and especially for explaining the wide cut) Always awesome to hear it straight from the top! Obviously a lot of thought went into this pant and while most of your concerns in developing this pant are valid for most, I prefer a narrower cut, lighter weight pant for mountain hunting. I can see Guides LOVING this pant. I’m going to wear your pant on a few hunts this year, including a sheep hunt in the Yukon, and reserve final judgement for later in the fall. Congrats on bringing a unique, innovative clothing line to the market. I love your packs, and wish you the same success on the clothing line.

Hoping to be able to see all the new products at the DSC show next week and maybe pull the trigger on the pants.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
I just got mine but been wearing them all weekend and I am more and more impressed.

They really nailed a lot of features.

I love the fit.

Cargo pocket placement is very convient and useful

At first I was wishing or thinking they might be too heavy but the full leg zips really help and cool things off.

Still more of an impression but I’m very impressed and happy.