Stone glacier De Havilland pant

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The guy behind the invention of the fusion camo pattern said in his studies that ungulates see gray colors as bright purple glow due to how ungulates view gray. He went further on to say he was shocked that so many companies use gray colors in their camo based on the evidence. Again, i'm not taking this as gospel, but it is interesting. I'm not big on camo vs solids colors, but I definitely would not wear a certain color if I knew I was glowing on the side of the hill.

How does that work with rocks, trees, the sky? And why are wolves and coyotes grey?

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does that work with rocks, trees, the sky? And why are wolves and coyotes grey?

I’ve heard that too but that it’s the dye used, not necessarily grey itself like what’s found in nature. I’m sure Sitka and others know which dye to use, OC is a lot of gray and I haven’t heard of anything complaints about glowing

Trial153

WKR
I can careless what deer see, I dont even care about camo patterns. I can arrow a deer in a clown suit, but with that said I would rather not look like a clown or an Astronaut. Put an American flag on the sleeve of that puffy and you can stroll into NASA like you own the place.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw the pants on instagram in a video. they look much better then they do on the website colorwise.

Again, I said don't take this as gospel. just listen to the podcast for yourself. I never said I believe it, but it was interesting. The gray in clothing uses dye and the gray in natural objects does not give off the same UV. Note: i just ordered a solid gray down jacket a month ago so you know how I feel about it.

scot520

FNG
Just got mine wore them yesterday 9 mile hiking, tree stand sit, and had a pack on the hike. Usually wear sitka timberline or mountain pant, have to say these pants fit me much better in the upper thigh and waist area. Sitka pants are usually too big in waist and too tight in upper thigh, the stone glaciers solved that problem for me. I was hunting whitetails so I would give the edge to Sitka in quietness, the stone glaciers were slightly noisier. Favorite pant I've worn defintetly worth the purchase.

slowelk

WKR
First impressions just wearing around the house, size medium-tall:

Material: slightly thicker than the timberline, slightly noisier, slightly less stretchy.

Fit: I wear a 32x34 jean, a 33T in Sitka, these fit similar to sitka, snug-ish in the thighs and butt (I have to wear athletic cut jeans due to my thighs). Due to this, I think it limits some of the functionality of the front cargo pockets. The bottoms are more boot-cut (wider) than sitka pants

Contour Waist: Seems interesting, they came at the widest setting, which seemed to be comfortable, I can't say how it will do under a pack. I don't think this system negates the need for a belt.

Color: Pretty standard gray. I think they look the same as on the website, which is pretty close to the gray timberlines. I definitely don't get a "space suit" vibe.

Overall: They feel very high quality, and well-made, I am excited for the hip vents. The only thing I don't love is the limited functionality of the cargo pockets if you have larger thighs.

Kotaman

WKR
Picked mine up from the PO this morning. Thoughts before wearing them:

*They are a little "heavier" material than I thought/hoped.

*Not a fan of the "bell" bottoms. Surprises me a pant like this is cut this way as it is just more fabric to fit inside a gaiter and more fabric to "swoosh" when walking without a gaiter.

*Color is slightly darker than they appear on website which is a good thing IMO.

Agree with the above poster, that overall, they appear to be very high quality, and well made.

I'm gonna wear them around the house for awhile before I decide if I keep them or not. First impressions out of the box are that I prefer the Sitka Timberlines and KUIU Attacks to these. Time will tell...

All anyone needs to do is look at the target audience of SG and that should tell you who their biggest customer base is, and it ain't likely BOWhunters...

Unless pants have a tapered design, they all are "swishy" at the bottom.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
All anyone needs to do is look at the target audience of SG and that should tell you who their biggest customer base is, and it ain't likely BOWhunters...

Unless pants have a tapered design, they all are "swishy" at the bottom.

These are swishy. Not something I’ll wear while toting the recurve. Stretch Gaiters really help that a ton though.

Kotaman

WKR
"Bell bottoms" are typical for a boot cut, think that was described on the webpage.

I don’t see that anywhere on the website. Regardless, I don’t understand why a mountain company like SG designs a Pant with legs that “swish” and have additional fabric to tuck into gaiters. Look at Sitka, First Lite and KUIU they aren’t “boot cut” for a reason.

I spent a little time in these today. The Contour Waist is an “interesting” concept. Can’t say it’s good or bad at this point, but it’s different for sure. Overall fit is good and hoping these “loosen up” a bit after a few washes. If I can get past the “bell bottoms”, they’ll be alright. I’m a huge SG fan and want to love their clothes but having a hard time getting on board as of now.

JD619er

WKR
It's interesting that everyone thinks their loud. The hydro holster of theirs drives me nuts because my water bottle sloshes and makes tons of noise

sr80

WKR
Picked mine up from the PO this morning. Thoughts before wearing them:

*They are a little "heavier" material than I thought/hoped.

*Not a fan of the "bell" bottoms. Surprises me a pant like this is cut this way as it is just more fabric to fit inside a gaiter and more fabric to "swoosh" when walking without a gaiter.

*Color is slightly darker than they appear on website which is a good thing IMO.

Agree with the above poster, that overall, they appear to be very high quality, and well made.

I'm gonna wear them around the house for awhile before I decide if I keep them or not. First impressions out of the box are that I prefer the Sitka Timberlines and KUIU Attacks to these. Time will tell...

So you're saying these pants flare at the bottom more than a pair of kuiu attack pants?? To me attack pants are wider in the legs than any hunting pant ive ever worn.

Kotaman

WKR
So you're saying these pants flare at the bottom more than a pair of kuiu attack pants?? To me attack pants are wider in the legs than any hunting pant ive ever worn.

My Attacks are all the original Canadian version and I don't think the Canadian version flares like the newer Attacks, but the SG's are definitely more flared than my Attacks. They remind me of Pranas in the flare department. It's not like they are "bell bottoms" from the '70's but definitely more flared than FL, Sitka or my original KUIU pants. I don't get the purpose of having this larger boot cut for mountain hunting.