Stone Glacier Sky packs 2014

I agree 100% with Yellowknife. I've fit big moose quarters (bone in) into the Barney's black hole bag and it works fine. Personally though, I usually just take the bag off when moose hunting and lash the quarters directly to the frame with a few rafting style cam-lock straps. For day hunting, I usually have a small drybag on the Barney's frame with my gear and other goodies. I haven't found a more comfortable moose mover (other than ATV or boat) to haul quarters on than the Barney's frame.

O'Grady

FNG
Thanks for all of the advice. I think the best bet is the SG for me because i want one pack that can be used for hunting sheep to moose, and also be used as a normal back packing pack. My only concern is that i won't be able to fit a bone in hind quarter in the load sling. Still not a 100 percent sure what I'm going to do haha.
Thanks again

stephen b

WKR
I would go with a SG for most hunting applications. If you just want a separate hauler for heavy awkward loads- like hauling moose quarters; you could just get or use a Barney's frame. Which is not a bad price ($285 or so) for what it is; heck, that is about the price of most of the bags now days for a frame. Even the Barney bags are more than that.

I wanted to get some Barney replacement sh straps and hip belt for an older dana design frame. By the time I added up the costs of those parts and the mesh back pieces I was close to the full frame cost ( within $40 if I recall )- so I said what the heck, send me a Frontier frame. Now it is a great frame to use separately, and to hand to one of my strong Son in laws to help me pack :)

Just ordered my SG 5100. I wanted to order it a few weeks ago but was waiting for the big man's belt. Then came the Kuiu Ultra and I was starting to re think my choice not because I thought the Kuiu was better just a better deal. Kind of like when people compare high end China binocs like the Zen Ray Prime to Alpha glass. Maybe not as good but a lot less money. I don't have Alpha glass but in the end since I couldn't find a bad review ever on the SG and after Kurt always answering my questions I figured the SG was worth the extra $$. Can't wait to get it.

Just ordered my SG 5100. I wanted to order it a few weeks ago but was waiting for the big man's belt. Then came the Kuiu Ultra and I was starting to re think my choice not because I thought the Kuiu was better just a better deal. Kind of like when people compare high end China binocs like the Zen Ray Prime to Alpha glass. Maybe not as good but a lot less money. I don't have Alpha glass but in the end since I couldn't find a bad review ever on the SG and after Kurt always answering my questions I figured the SG was worth the extra $$. Can't wait to get it.

Your gonna love it!! Im loving mine so far

sawdust

FNG
Anybody have the Sky 5100 and the Solo? I am trying to decide which one to get. The increased volume of the 5100 is really appealing, but my original plan was to purchase the Solo with the additional access bag so I could have the extra space when I needed it. I really like the way the solo doesn't have a separate lid component and that is largely why I am leaning that direction, but just wondering what your guys thoughts are in comparing the function of the 2. Thanks.

charvey9

WKR
Anybody have the Sky 5100 and the Solo? I am trying to decide which one to get. The increased volume of the 5100 is really appealing, but my original plan was to purchase the Solo with the additional access bag so I could have the extra space when I needed it. I really like the way the solo doesn't have a separate lid component and that is largely why I am leaning that direction, but just wondering what your guys thoughts are in comparing the function of the 2. Thanks.

I have the 7400. If you are looking at the smaller packs, I'd go with the sky over the solo/access. The lid on the sky detaches in about 2 seconds. The majority of the time I've been running my 7400 in bivy mode, with the lid. If my pack is a kinda empty, I take the lid off and throw it in the bag as a pullout with my quick access items.

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Got my new SG 5100 with 3 piece belt the other day and it is awesome. Great pack, amazingly light for the size and fits really well. Loaded it up with ~30lbs for the fit and the load felt like nothing. Kurt, himself, answered all the questions I had during the investigation process almost instantaneously every time I emailed him. I can't say enough about this pack and the company. I like supporting this type of small operation where attention to detail and customer service are top notch. Kurt really has something here. There are some great packs out there, and this is one of them

This 5100 should be plenty big enough with the top lid for a week trip. Could also pack up the load cell with food for the pack in to utilize the load shelf volume. It compresses down to nothing and the bivy mode looks like a go-to for me during the day hunts. I have some smaller dry bags but will probably also order some pullouts to organize my gear.

Personally, I can't find anything that I don't like about my new Sky 5100. Thanks to Kurt's generosity he donated a Terminus pack to the MT Archery Association for their annual banquet. Thankfully I was the lucky recipient of said pack. I liked the Terminus, but felt it was too big for what I do. I liked the Sky 5100 and the idea of the zipper on the outside of the bag to allow you to quickly gain access to items that you may need. Another nice feature are the pockets on the inside of the bag, which for people with OCD such as myself, I like the organization of the little things that can be put there.
So when I won the Terminus pack, I tried it on but really wanted the Sky with the three piece belt and some additional accessories. I emailed Kurt asking if I could trade the Terminus for a Sky pack and add some additional accessories. He stated that he was out of town, but to send in the Terminus and he'd have the Sky and accessories that I requested sent to me. The packs pretty much crossed in the mail. What I find great about this customer service is he didn't even ask me to pay before he had the bag shipped to me! He made the swap about as easy as it could be. In fact he didn't even bill me until my pack arrived at my house. Like others have posted, I didn't think everything was in the box. This thing is literally so light that I was amazed when I pulled everything out. I just got it this week so haven't had a chance to get out and try it out, but needless to say I'm very impressed. Not only am I impressed with the pack, but the fact that Kurt was out of town and still made sure that the bag was sent to me - which he executed very quickly. Awesome customer service and I enjoy supporting a Montana business.

I don't have a Stone Glacier pack yet but will say that Kurt has been exceedingly helpful and responsive to all my questions. I'm certain that his packs will not disappoint in the field and mountains.

charvey9

WKR
Finally did a weigh in. This is my 7400 in bivy mode with lid. All my 3 season gear, 2 liters of water, and 2 days worth of food at just over 32lbs. My binoculars are even in the pack. This is amazing to me, last year I was 50lbs+ each time I went out. A lot of new gear this season, but the pack alone saved me almost 3lbs.

tttoadman

WKR
Finally did a weigh in. This is my 7400 in bivy mode with lid. All my 3 season gear, 2 liters of water, and 2 days worth of food at just over 32lbs. My binoculars are even in the pack. This is amazing to me, last year I was 50lbs+ each time I went out. A lot of new gear this season, but the pack alone saved me almost 3lbs.

You mad man!!

Just out of curiosity, do you have the 3 pc belt? I work in Clackamas, and would love to make my way over to your neck of the woods and take a look at it.

charvey9

WKR
Wow thats lite, what are you packing for gear at that weight?

I had a couple people PM me asking the same question, so I'll just post here. I have been working on a spreadsheet with all the individual gear weights, but it is not quite done yet. Here is the quick and dirty list of gear I have in the pack when I weighed it. I will say that almost everything is new this year, and it was not cheap to assemble but worth it IMO. I have a "questionable" knee that I fractured playing football back in highschool. It usually doesn't give me trouble, but I like to limit the load as much as I can to avoid any issues.

SG 7400 Sky
SG belt pouch
SG roll top bag
SG power pulls x 2

MLD DuoMid cuben fiber Tipi Tarp w/stakes, lines etc
MLD eVENT soul Bivy
Zpacks 20 degree bag
Thermarest Neolite pad
Kifaru Large Compression Sack for sleep system items
Leki Carbonlite XL treking pole

Jetboil Sol Ti
Sea To Summit aluminum Fork and Spoon
2 mountain house meals, 2 ramen, 1 MRE, a few tea bags
Zpacks Cuben Fiber stuff stack for food

Playtapus 2L Gravity Feed filter kit
Playtapus 3L hoser bladder (with 2L of water)
Playtapus 1L softbottle
Vapur 1L filter/bottle as a back-up

Garmin Oregon 450T GPS
SPOT locator
Princetontec headlamp
4 extra AA, and 4 extra AAA batteries
MLD cuben fiber pouch for electronic items

Canon EOS M camera and spare battery
Camera Remote
Gorilla Pod small tripod
Camera sleeve that I sewn from an old wool sock
MLD cuben fiber pouch for camera gear
GoPro Hero2 and headstrap

Leatherman Wave
Quaker Boy fawn in distress call
Windproof lighter
MLD cuben fiber pouch for above "tools"

Home made first aid kit that fits in a small MLD cuben fiber stack. Includes:
Firesteel
Allen Keys needed for bow
Moleskin
A few different sized bandages and gause.
a chunk of rolled up duct tape
safety pins
a few different sized sip ties
a decent brunton compass
vaseline soaked cotton balls in an empty film canister
1 pair rubber gloves
a few packs of benedryl and ibuprofen

All the above "kits" that are in MLD cuben fiber pouches get thrown into a Kifaru medium pullout for organization

KUIU Chugach pants and jacket
KUIU SD pants and jacket
KUIU Guide Gloves
KUIU Yukon Gloves
Oakley Factory Pilot gloves
Sitka Traverse hat (it just fits better)
All extra clothing items get stuffed in an XL Kifaru Pullout

Rokslide Kill kit minus the rubber gloves and I tore off about 100' of tape instead of toting the whole role.
Havalon Piranta and 4 extra blades taped together
All Tags/Licensces in a zip lock bag

Swarovski 8x32 EL Binos
KUIU bino harness in minimalist config
Leupold TBR1000i rangefinder

S&W329PD .44 Mag w/Buffalo Bore 255gr low recoil rounds
Blade-tech holster

Small Kifaru Pull out with toothbrush, toothpaste, flosspicks.
A book to read

I think that is about it. The only thing I would probably add is some energy bars or beef jerky to snack on.

The past couple weeks I've been able to take my Sky 5100 out to see how it fit and what adjustments would need to be made. What I can say about the pack is it's just plain awesome. The zipper on the outside of the pack is just downright genius. Something as simple as a zipper, but it just makes such a big difference. It's great not to have to stick your arm down the black hole of the top to try to fish for what you're looking for. I can zip it a couple inches and grab whatever I need.

The pack was used in day pack mode which is basically without the top lid. I really liked the feature that allows you to remove the top lid and how the top is designed to fold over and is waterproof (not sure if the material is water "proof", but the design is excellent).

The pockets on the inside of the pack work well too. However, the items that I had in there (havalon and p-cord) fell out. Perhaps an elastic top or stretchy material to contain those items would be an improvement. One thing to note, however, is the fact that the pack wasn't filled with all of the items I'd normally be hunting with. The straps on the outside of the pack allow it to be cinched down to prevent the items in the pack to move around. Perhaps if I did a better job of utilizing said straps, the items in the inside pockets wouldn't have fallen out. Didn't feel the need to do a load test as other Sky owners have done so.

My pack has the three piece belt, two belt pockets, power pulls and weapon sling. So far I'm really digging this pack and am hoping to see if a spring bear will be in the load sling later this month.

The photo of the pack with the snowshoes appears as though all of the items in the pack have slid to the bottom. However, there is a Patagonia puffy and Wild Things hoody on the bottom that I stuffed in there to allow for the other items to "rest" on.

Let's see some more pics of this pack, post 'em up!

Attachments

• GOPR0463.jpg
    GOPR0463.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 194
  • SG RSide1.jpg
    SG RSide1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 201
  • SG Snowshoes.jpg
    SG Snowshoes.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 200
SG has my interest in the Sky but there are a few things I just dont know if I can get over. I dont like the idea of no real exterior pockets other than the lid. This is especially true when having a bow on the pack. With a bow on it doesnt look like you could really use the add on pouches or get to the zipper. The weight on these packs is great and the load sling looks designed very well. Any thought on my concerns? Would like to know how people are packing these and using a bow with them.