Stone Glacier SkyLine Bino Harness Review

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I’m 5’6” 170lbs. There’s still room for me to tighten more than I need to (or can). I’ve always used a DIY paracord harness, but I’m looking forward to this.

I’ve been eyeballing harnesses for a few years. The adjustability is what sold me. I have 10x50’s that I want to upgrade at some point to higher quality 42’s so was waiting to decide on a harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t consider myself a bow hunter, although I have killed a few deer with a bow out of a tree stand, so please take this for what it is, simply a question. How often are you really close to game (within bow range), and feel the need to look at it through binoculars? As a rifle hunter, I rarely if ever, look at game through my binoculars, if it’s within about 100 yards or so, give or take.

i use my glass close range a bunch, glassing through brush stalking in, to spot that bedded cow about to bust me between me and the bull i'm trying to kill, or keep tabs on the critter i'm closing in on, but in all reality, i agree with you.... i'm using an outdoor vision right now, and it's the loudest harness i have had, but it's still a non issue SG by spring bear. i can already tell it's a good harness for me.

has connection points for the marsupial bow hanger hooks too, and i think i'll get the universal razco holster so i can have both. those hooks are handy for glassing, not having to set the bow down every time you want to glass.

looks to be a really well designed harness, and the waterproof material is a big bonus here

HuntWyld

WKR
i use my glass close range a bunch, glassing through brush stalking in, to spot that bedded cow about to bust me between me and the bull i'm trying to kill, or keep tabs on the critter i'm closing in on, but in all reality, i agree with you.... i'm using an outdoor vision right now, and it's the loudest harness i have had, but it's still a non issue SG by spring bear. i can already tell it's a good harness for me.

has connection points for the marsupial bow hanger hooks too, and i think i'll get the universal razco holster so i can have both. those hooks are handy for glassing, not having to set the bow down every time you want to glass.

looks to be a really well designed harness, and the waterproof material is a big bonus here

Are you saying the OV is the loudest harness you’ve had? I thought they were supposed to be one of the quietest?

Looked through all the posts and if I missed it I apologize but I have the leica geovids HD-b. Should I wait for the larger size or will the standard suffice? I thought I saw a post about a larger size going to be produced. thnx

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious how well the hook & loop - Range finder pocket attaches to the harness? Seems like it would "bounce" and hang from the weight of the range finder.

The material being unstructured is it flimsy? Does it collapse or difficult to insert the range finder? Also, what about the back of the range finder rubbing and snagging your clothing?

How easy is it to remove the harness if you can only unbuckle 1 side due to the range finder covering one of the buckles?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Looked through all the posts and if I missed it I apologize but I have the leica geovids HD-b. Should I wait for the larger size or will the standard suffice? I thought I saw a post about a larger size going to be produced. thnx

They are tight but they fit. The depth of the Geovid pushes the front on the harness body hard. Makes one handed operation difficult but not impossible

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I'm curious how well the hook & loop - Range finder pocket attaches to the harness? Seems like it would "bounce" and hang from the weight of the range finder.

The material being unstructured is it flimsy? Does it collapse or difficult to insert the range finder? Also, what about the back of the range finder rubbing and snagging your clothing?

How easy is it to remove the harness if you can only unbuckle 1 side due to the range finder covering one of the buckles?

No bounce noticed.
Material is thin but not flimsy.
I have noticed it’s not easy to insert the RF as it is the binos.
I haven’t noticed it catching on clothes.
Very easy to take off/ put on harness with one lower buckle undone.

Kotaman

WKR
After using this a couple weeks, this size just doesn’t work good on Zeiss victory RF’s. I really like the harness, but this size isn’t ideal for larger framed binos. It is going to shine with the smaller framed binos.

After using this a couple weeks, this size just doesn’t work good on Zeiss victory RF’s. I really like the harness, but this size isn’t ideal for larger framed binos. It is going to shine with the smaller framed binos.

Hey Kotaman, any idea on how the size of the Swaro 10x42 RF binos compare to your Zeiss?

Kotaman

WKR
Hey Kotaman, any idea on how the size of the Swaro 10x42 RF binos compare to your Zeiss?

I don’t think the Swaros are as thick/deep, however, I still think they’ll hang up a little in this harness with its “humps”. I went back to my old KUIU harness and it works much better for the Zeiss, as does the original Marsupial. The SG would work awesome on 8x/10x SLC’s and EL’s.

Just curious i have a marsupial and like it only complaint i have is sometimes my binos squeek do to the material whats inside sg harness and has anyone had this issue in testing i believe its a great product and if it would get rid of the squeek i would change in a heart beat

Jethro

WKR
I've used my SG harness a few times now. I like it, but wouldn't go as far as saying I love it. Using it with Cabelas Euro 10x42. Was snug at first but after a few ins/outs it works nicely for 1 handed operation. When closing the lid, I cannot get that little extra click closed that provides full coverage. Using just 1 hand the lid catches on the eye cups, resulting in little gap.

I most wanted the range finder holder. Front open soft hinge style is the biggest reason I bought this whole kit. My Leupold fits in fine but I really dislike the way it attaches to the harness with the velcro. I cannot close the lid without the whole pouch wanting to just flap away from my chest. The attachment is so loose there is a lot of slop. I'm still playing with velcro placement but haven't been able to come up with a fix, yet.

Still a work in progress. So far its just ok/pretty good. My previous harness was an old style Kuiu, that I really liked, with a Crooked Horn rangefinder pouch attached to it.

Pettit877

FNG
Just curious i have a marsupial and like it only complaint i have is sometimes my binos squeek do to the material whats inside sg harness and has anyone had this issue in testing i believe its a great product and if it would get rid of the squeek i would change in a heart beat
I had the original Marsupial and would get the same squeaking that your talking about. I’ve ran my SG harness with the same binos for a few weeks without a peep.

Eric

You must have a really old Marsupial. My Marsupial is fleece lined and completely silent. The SG material is without question more noisy than the Marsupial internals.

You must have a really old Marsupial. My Marsupial is fleece lined and completely silent. The SG material is without question more noisy than the Marsupial internals.
I purchased mine last year i still like it i run vortex optics its a combination of the 2 its not a huge deal

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Blacktail Sniper and Kotaman,
The large size harness is slated for production to start late January, this size was designed for ranging binos and 15's. It will also overlap the sizing of the current harness that will offer more adjustment for some of the larger 12x's.
Any binos over 2.6" in depth become very tight in the current harness, of course this can also be a variable given the shape of each bino and the width they are adjusted to. Feel free to email me and we can arrange the larger size once available if you prefer.
[email protected]

Best,
Kurt

snel6424

FNG
No bounce noticed.
Material is thin but not flimsy.
I have noticed it’s not easy to insert the RF as it is the binos.
I haven’t noticed it catching on clothes.
Very easy to take off/ put on harness with one lower buckle undone.

Have you noticed if it slides away from the bino harness at all? I'm not worried about bouncing so much as having to constantly push it back because it keeps sliding?

topher89

WKR
Have you noticed if it slides away from the bino harness at all? I'm not worried about bouncing so much as having to constantly push it back because it keeps sliding?
No, the velcro is a really solid way to connect the rangefinder pocket. The triangle of webbing that it connects over keeps it pretty locked in.

Overall, love the system so far. I am running some 10x42s and they fit great. I could see how bigger binos could be tight but I am sure the larger size will fix that issue.

Great product and I can't wait to really run it. I should be drawing a good turkey tag in the spring and have some scouting to do.