Stone Glacier SkyLine Bino Harness Review

Warren

Lil-Rokslider
So mine came in today:
First impression...Seems really similar to a KUIU Gen1 with adjustable bino height for smaller binos.
I use EL Range bino's with an Outdoorsman's bino stud. After I used the card for proper fit, and fiddled with it myself, I've come to the conclusion the EL Range just doesn't fit. My binos are too thick for this setup. This may be whats causing the concerns below.
(BTW-I really love SG gear. I own a SKY5900, an Avail, the helios layers, the De Havilland pant, and I'm excited to see the new gear coming in 2021! With that said I really wanted this harness to work, maybe the larger harness coming later this quarter will address these issues. Plus I love that it's made in the USA)

First impressions when wearing this harness:
1- My binos have to be unfolded and straight as possible to fit. The back of my EL Range have a raised ridge on the tubes which causes the entire harness to be stretched, width wise. This causes the top half of the harness to bulge on the backside of the harness near the top. That bulge makes the back pocket useless for a phone or anything that is ridged.

2- These are advertised as fully enclosed. Fully enclosed to me means that the binos are enclosed so that no dirt/dust/etc. can get into the harness and to your binos. I can't imagine how thats possible with this design, there's a large triangular gap between the removable top and base of the harness.

3- Opening this harness one handed is not graceful. You essentially have to pull the tap, along with the entire harness upward and out to get it over the lip in the back. Also, the exposed cordage on the sides snags either side of my binos . This snag happens at the attachment point for the lanyard or bino strap points on the sides of my bino tubes.

4- Removing my binos and adding my binos isn't graceful. When I remove my binos the lip on the rubber lens covers snags the lip of the removable backing. Sure I could take the lens covers off but I shouldn't have to ($3k binos or $100. harness...I'm going to protect my glass). When I pull them out this snag causes unnecessary noise. The base of the harness is also built in the shape of a rectangle so if you try to insert you binos folded they won't fit.

5- Lastly, the side cordage gets in the way when adding/removing items (ie. Bic Lighter, Windchecker, mouth call case) from the side pockets. If that elastic cordage was sewn into the body of harness this would prevent this completely. This would also allow the sides of the removable top panel to be completely attached to the body of the harness. The "removable-adjustable" top flap would turn into a "fix-adjustable" top flap and with a flexible material it would still accommodate for various size (height) binos. (but then you have a gen1 Kuiu harness)

So what to do from here....
My tailor has the harness now and is replacing the buckle on the front adjustable straps with clip style buckles (similar to the side buckles but much smaller) so that they can be adjusted higher up on the body. I'll give this rig to my little girl and she can use it for her binos.

Again, I love this brand in so many ways and this is just my "DAY 1" setup. I need to field it. I have a hunt coming up in FEB. maybe the new/larger version will be out by then. I hope the next model addresses the points mentioned above. I get "everything you need and nothing that you don't" but this seems like it needs more time to bake and more ideas thrown on the whiteboard and into prototypes.

Cheers!

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Warren,
Thank you for the feedback. The Large size is for the ranging binos, it is deeper to allow for added frame size and also taller for more coverage. This is scheduled to be available in February, unfortunately we weren't able to produce both sizes at the same time due to production constraints.
When the ranging binos are in the current Medium size it uses up the lid coverage and can make the operation less smooth due to smaller hood size. It also creates a gap on the side as you have noticed, again due to large frame size and smaller hood on the medium size. This also effects the function of the side pockets as the larger frame uses up the available space making the cord catch as it will cause the wind checker to stick out more.
If you would like to try a Large frame once they are available, email me at [email protected] and we can get that arranged. I believe you find the function will address the points you described above as the harness was designed specifically for ranging binos like your EL's.

Best,
Kurt

I just want to say how much I appreciate these threads. Last month I almost pulled the trigger on one of these, but decided to wait a bit to hear/read some reviews. I’m glad I did, as I also have 10x42 EL Range binos, so now I’ll just wait another month or so before making my purchase. I’m a big fan of my SG packs, and I’m really looking forward to checking out this bino pack. Thanks again guys for all your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick M.

WKR
Update after getting my Skyline and comparing it to the newer model Marsupial:

I actually ended up keeping the Marsupial and returning the SG Skyline. It could just be that I'm more familiar/comfortable with the Marsupial, but I personally felt that it was more refined, polished, and simple. The one-handed option is a complete breeze and their magnetic enclosure system is brilliant.

With the SG, I toiled with setup for quite a bit trying to get the sizing right via the front velcro and back plate. When following the guidelines on the included fit card everything was way to tight for my NLs. I believe this is due to the fact that the fit instructions rely on the total length of the binocular, but don't/can't account for the girth of a given binocular (there is a finite/set amount of space within the binocular enclosure that will affect the final fit of a given set of binoculars).

Once I finally got the velcro/sizing dialed in, I just couldn't get the enclosure to open/close easily with one hand. Even when I loosened up the shock cords, operating the lid would tend to take enough force to lift the harness off of my chest a bit, resulting in what felt like chasing around the binos on my chest when trying to open/close the lid.

There is also what feels like a carbon tube in the top section of the enclosure (which is what you would pull up and over your binos to secure them and close off the lid), and it always seemed to get hung up on my eye cups and also never seemed to come up and over my binos straight (it would always end up crooked or diagonal across the top of the eyecups, forcing me to use my other hand to straighten out the carbon rod and tuck it over and behind the eyecups). I also found that the material, while lightweight and waterproof, would have to be finagled with to lay right. If you simply close the lid with one hand, things just don't end up laying right. It's a very hard thing to put into words, and one would have to just know what I'm talking about. Perhaps the material gets better with use and just needed to be broken in a bit.

In the end, I found that the Marsupial harness required zero setup along with simple, repeatable, and reliable one-handed operation. That being said, there are several things that I like more with the Skylines. First, the buckles are quite a bit larger on the Marsupial harness than on the SG (I much prefer the lower profile buckle system on the SG). Another plus for SG is the single point of attachment for your safety tether. I love the idea. Lastly, the built-in waterproof lid on the SG harness and rangefinder pouch is awesome. With the Marsupial, I will need to purchase a separate rain cover for the harness (and they don't even offer one for the rangefinder pouch). Not even having to think about anything when the rain starts is just fantastic. SG nailed in on many fronts.

SG is a fantastic company and this is their first iteration of a bino harness. I'm sure things will improve and they will refine the system, but for me, I just couldn't force myself to love them - as much as I wanted to.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I wanted to add one more thing. Padding. The Marsupial has padding in the lid, giving your eyecups quite a bit of security. There is no padding in the SG lid, it's just a thin layer of fabric that lays across your eyecups. Forgot to mention that as one of the other things that I disliked about the SG Skyline.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Rick M,
Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate the comments. A bino harness seems to be a very personal choice in terms of gear and function. The NL binos have been a wild card for me as they were not available as we were in production, I have not had a chance to test to see if they would better fit in the XL size as I have not had a chance to get a set in hand. As Warren has found with the 12's, fitting a larger sized bino frame in the current medium size harness can be problematic, not sure if you had the 12's? Either way, I would be very interested in hearing more about your experience as it sounds like a sizing issue if you would be interested in emailing at [email protected]. I completely understand if you would prefer not to. I am always interested in feedback especially when it comes to fit/sizing/function. If there is an additional info or direction we can add for sizing for a customer like you to help with the process, I want to make sure we have that available.
Best
Kurt

Kurt,

just received mine yesterday and have a few questions. I’m running 8.5x42ELs

1) the larger size harnesses that you are making, are they going to have bigger side pockets? I was really bummed out finding out that I couldn’t fit my Suunto MC2 compass in the side.
Would they still work for the Binos I have or am I best to stick with my original sizing?

2) Are you looking at making any additional pocketing to attach to the webbing system?

Ten Bears

WKR
Kurt,

Just wanted to say the new clothing options look incredible. Quick question on the updated grid helio, does that have a little more stretch to it compared to the Gen1 version ? And was the switch to grid to help with the pilling ? Can’t wait to see this stuff at my local dealer BTE.

Thanks,
John

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Forealboreal,
Yes, the large size harness does have larger side pockets. Your 8.5x42 EL will fit in the Large size, there will be an additional 1/2" of depth and 3/4" in width. You will still be able to adjust the hood for coverage. There is overlap in the Large and Medium size in terms of bino sizes they will fit due to the wide range of adjustment.
We are looking at additional pocket/accessory attachments for the bottom of the harness, I have several that I have been testing. Designs are not finalized and I don't have a date at this time as the designs just haven't had enough field time. Feel free to check back with my anytime to see what progress I have made.
Also, the two bottom webbing straps are spaced 3" inside to inside (5" outside to outside), which is the standard Molle grid spacing of 1" without the center webbing, so they will accept Molle accessories. The accessory does have to have at least 3 grid webbing though as there is not the center webbing.
Best,
Kurt

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
John,
Thanks for your comments on the new gear. The new Helio hoodie does have more stretch than the previous version. The fabric change came from many requests for a grid style fleece for increased insulating and breathability performance. The new grid fabric also does have a higher pilling rating.
Best,
Kurt

Warren,
Thank you for the feedback. The Large size is for the ranging binos, it is deeper to allow for added frame size and also taller for more coverage. This is scheduled to be available in February, unfortunately we weren't able to produce both sizes at the same time due to production constraints.
When the ranging binos are in the current Medium size it uses up the lid coverage and can make the operation less smooth due to smaller hood size. It also creates a gap on the side as you have noticed, again due to large frame size and smaller hood on the medium size. This also effects the function of the side pockets as the larger frame uses up the available space making the cord catch as it will cause the wind checker to stick out more.
If you would like to try a Large frame once they are available, email me at [email protected] and we can get that arranged. I believe you find the function will address the points you described above as the harness was designed specifically for ranging binos like your EL's.

Best,
Kurt

Kurt - still thinking February for the release of the larger harness? Looking forward to getting one for my Zeiss SFs, I assume that is the size that would be needed?

Thanks!

Radams406

FNG
Can the rangefinder harness be added to either side? I was considering ordering 2 rangefinder harnesses one for each side, to store extra misc "stuff".

Kurt - still thinking February for the release of the larger harness? Looking forward to getting one for my Zeiss SFs, I assume that is the size that would be needed?

Thanks!

I was told last week that we probably won’t see it until April. Apparently it’s competing with their line of gaiters in regards to production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitty

FNG
So I'll be the guy who admits that the "quick detach buckle" is about to make me lose my mind! I'm certain technique is involved but I can't seem to get this thing to come apart to save my life lol. I have pushed, pulled, cursed, twisted, cursed, and pried some more almost to the point of fearing breakage. Any tips?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
So I'll be the guy who admits that the "quick detach buckle" is about to make me lose my mind! I'm certain technique is involved but I can't seem to get this thing to come apart to save my life lol. I have pushed, pulled, cursed, twisted, cursed, and pried some more almost to the point of fearing breakage. Any tips?
I thought someone made a quick video of it in this thread?..