Stone Glacier Terminus Review

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Terminus packs are a shop favorite. They definitely fill the niche in the high country deer and sheep hunting category and also work out great for scouting and back packing. We really appreciate Stone Glacier's willingness to take risks while coming out with innovative new designs!

Choogiak

FNG
For you guys with experience last season, how did you end up cleaning your terminus pack? Dish soap in the bathtub with a scrub brush? Thinking it might be a little difficult to clean the internal meat pocket since the bag doesn't separate from the frame

sr80

WKR
When i hauled meat in mine i still used a contractor bag inside (once meat was cooled) But the outside material cleaned up nicely with a mild soap and spray with the hose.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
For you guys with experience last season, how did you end up cleaning your terminus pack? Dish soap in the bathtub with a scrub brush? Thinking it might be a little difficult to clean the internal meat pocket since the bag doesn't separate from the frame
I just washed it with a hose and left it outside hung up to dry.

omfs26

FNG
I will be testing out the Stone Glacier Terminus.

My plan is to use it exclusively this year for my hunts in order to really put it through the paces and provide a great review. So far it has been on five hunts with me and I love it.

If there are any specific questions, ideas, or thoughts you would like me to address in the video, please let me know.

Thanks,

Zach

12/12/22 Update: Final video review is up here!

I look forward to the review!

ChrisAU

WKR
Couldn't stand it, found a killer deal on a Terminus 7000 this morning and had to grab it. I think the one thing that is going to drive me nuts is the lack of pals/molle on the hip belt though. Do the straps that hold accessories do anything other than that? Wondering I could sew them on in a pals matrix...

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Couldn't stand it, found a killer deal on a Terminus 7000 this morning and had to grab it. I think the one thing that is going to drive me nuts is the lack of pals/molle on the hip belt though. Do the straps that hold accessories do anything other than that? Wondering I could sew them on in a pals matrix...
Yes - those dual tensioners actually help shape the help belt to your body. With the pack off, you can tighten the bottom/top to curve the belt vertically or to help it grab your hip bone. I typically need the bottom tighter than the top. Dual density foam also helps with this.

You can use molle through those straps just fine, you just have to skip some of the holes on the pouch or what not to align the accessory connectors with where you need the gaps for the tensioner straps on the pack hip belt to pass through. I've found that heavier things just do not work that great on that belt design, for me at least. The approach Exo took with where they mount their water bottle pocket is pretty sweet.

ChrisAU

WKR
Yes - those dual tensioners actually help shape the help belt to your body. With the pack off, you can tighten the bottom/top to curve the belt vertically or to help it grab your hip bone. I typically need the bottom tighter than the top. Dual density foam also helps with this.

You can use molle through those straps just fine, you just have to skip some of the holes on the pouch or what not to align the accessory connectors with where you need the gaps for the tensioner straps on the pack hip belt to pass through. I've found that heavier things just do not work that great on that belt design, for me at least. The approach Exo took with where they mount their water bottle pocket is pretty sweet.

Yeah after some thought it doesn’t seem like it’d be hard at all to use a molle based pouch on the belt, just would want to move side to side. Not being able to run a gun bearer style rifle attachment is another thing though. I’ll play with it and see.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yeah after some thought it doesn’t seem like it’d be hard at all to use a molle based pouch on the belt, just would want to move side to side. Not being able to run a gun bearer style rifle attachment is another thing though. I’ll play with it and see.
Just get a universal gun bearer. That's what I use on my Terminus.

Choogiak

FNG
Took my new terminus 8700 on youth sheep hunt in Alaska this year. Didn't seem like there was anyway a whole boned out sheep was going to fit in the load cell. My partner took a third of the meat and my two thirds filled up the load cell completely. Anyone else able to get a whole ram in the load cell?

S.Clancy

WKR
I sold my Kifaru/Exo 5500 combo and picked up a Terminus 7000. I've got quite a few hunts lined up this yr (MT archery Antelope/elk, WY deer, AZ deer, etc), we'll see how it does. I like how simple and light it is so far. Ready to get something other than quikcrete in it.

ljalberta

WKR
Took my new terminus 8700 on youth sheep hunt in Alaska this year. Didn't seem like there was anyway a whole boned out sheep was going to fit in the load cell. My partner took a third of the meat and my two thirds filled up the load cell completely. Anyone else able to get a whole ram in the load cell?
I fit a boned out bighorn in the cell last year. Right up to capacity, but I got it in.

Cleaning after took some awkward scrubbing of the corners and cracks to get the smell of blood out.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
The load cell is great but I can tell you from experience you can haul way more than just what the load cell can handle. You can fill the entire load cell and then strap another entire game bag to the outside of it equaling roughly half of a boned out elk.

S.Clancy

WKR
Well, I don't have good pack-out photos, mostly because I was solo for both, but I have packed an entire bone in mule deer and a bull out in the Terminus. Max loads were ~130 lbs with the mule deer (105 lbs of deer, bow, 85 mm spotter, tripod, day gear and water) and ~100-105 lbs (2 front shoulders, bow and day gear) on the bull. Impressions:

1. Capacity - The bone in mule deer was definitely a strange fit in the pack. I think if I had taken the time to bone-it out I could have fit a small camps worth of gear inside. Granted, this was a large bodied deer, in the upper 200's to maybe 300 lbs. The 2 bull shoulders fit just fine in the pack, but the bone is so large in those front shoulders it would have been tough to fit a bunch of other stuff around them.
2. Carrying - The pack, for me, just straight carries weight awesome. Much better than the Gen 1 Exo Frame and better that the Duplex lite frame I sold. The biggest difference for me is the shoulder straps just really fit me better. I'm a smaller framed guy, so my shoulders are not that wide, bone wise. The SG straps seems closer together than both Kifaru and the Gen 1 Exo. Waist belt never slipped with any load. Load lifting was still great for me, 6'1", 34" inseam, so admittedly I have a slightly shorter torso than some. I did put the meat in a game bag, then the game bags into a contractor bag. No blood escaped that. I did use the interior "meat pouch" for my other items and clothes, and the meat in the large part of the pack. Since I didn't bone the meat, I really have no idea how much boned meat that pouch would hold.
3. Day Mode - I thought that this would be the downfall of the pack, but it packs down incredibly well. The fabric is slightly noisy, but that doesn't matter to me as I drop the pack for the final approach. Not to mention it is under 4lbs
4. Fabric - This is the reason I wanted this pack. IMO, I don't understand why more packs are not made with this material. It is easier to clean, incredibly light and pretty waterproof. I did not seam seal my pack, as others have done. I had rain, from just sprinkles to torrential downpour. In the case of torrential downpour, it rained between 1-2" in about 45 minutes. When I got back to the truck, myself completely soaked, I emptied the pack to check my other layers and optics. Everything was dry, but I did notice that the seams had wetness around them, as would be expected. I could definitely see prolonged rain causing leaking through the seams, but, I would just put essentials in a dry bag instead of seam sealing.

All in all, I am happy with the pack. I still have backpack mulie hunts in AZ and MT in November, so we will see what happens then. Obligatory animal pics....

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_183826501.jpg
    IMG_20230912_183826501.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231014_180719588.jpg
    IMG_20231014_180719588.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 42

Lawnboi

WKR
What’s the census on this being a replacement for a do all pack? Iv been using a fulcrum for years, from day hunts to multi day. I am not a load shelf guy at all. The stuff I have been trying from stone glacier has me considering a switch to cut a lot of weight. That and the more I use a frame, the more I appreciate an internal frame pack.

What’s the census on this being a replacement for a do all pack? Iv been using a fulcrum for years, from day hunts to multi day. I am not a load shelf guy at all. The stuff I have been trying from stone glacier has me considering a switch to cut a lot of weight. That and the more I use a frame, the more I appreciate an internal frame pack.
Great do it all with the one caveat, you aren’t packing a lot of meat and full camp at once. If those would be separate trips anyway, no issue.

I’m loving mine, only hunt it didn’t go on was one I expected to be gear heavy, so took the sky 7900 with frame. Otherwise packed out a bull elk and mule deer this season, carried weight well.
5402AA90-8E65-49D2-B530-6075C524E257.jpeg
51BAD218-8E41-4907-9A3A-EEFBEEE5E220.jpeg

Last edited:

S.Clancy

WKR
I tend to agree with the above comments. I haven't tried to pack a ton of meat and camp in the same trip. If I get the chance to do that I will update with my findings.