Stone Glacier XCurve & Sky 5900 Field Report

Tex68w

WKR
Just got my Sky 5900 and X-Curve frame in, holy crap this thing is awesome! I am definitely pleased with my choice. I hope to get some time this week to load it up with my gear to see how everything lays out in it. I am going to go pick up some salt or sand this afternoon to start rucking with it while I walk the dogs. I'll try and get some pics together once I get it all set up.

Tuscor

FNG
Just got my Sky 5900 and X-Curve frame in, holy crap this thing is awesome! I am definitely pleased with my choice. I hope to get some time this week to load it up with my gear to see how everything lays out in it. I am going to go pick up some salt or sand this afternoon to start rucking with it while I walk the dogs. I'll try and get some pics together once I get it all set up.

Please do man - would appreciate pics of the frame in particular.

OP
S
I can post up photos as well if there's anything in particular anyone would like to see. I'm glad to hear that you're happy with that new setup Tex68, I hope it works out as great for you as it has for me. I don't see any reason for me to go to another frame for a long time to come.

Tex68w

WKR
I just got back from a four mile suburban ruck with the dog, sunny and 73F here in south Texas on the last day of January, I couldn't have asked for better weather. I set the pack up as Kurt suggested in the Krux Frame video, they seem to be close enough in design that the same rules apply. I loaded it up with my spotter, bipod, binos, tripod, ballistic helmet, and two different plate carriers so there was over 40lbs in the pack. All I can say is that the X-Curve Frame is so comfortable and supported the load so well that I wasn't even once aware that I had something on my back except for catching the outline of my shadow from time to time on the ground. This frame is superb and the Sky 5900 pack is more than capable of hauling all of my gear for a multi-day hunt. I love the layout and my angled 65mm spotter fit in the front pocket with ease. Like Snowcamoman said, I can't imagine anything besting this or the need for an upgrade or change anytime soon.

handwerk

WKR
I received my X/5900 last Saturday, after all of a 3 day wait. I've not had time to load it up and talk a long hike but just getting it setup and short walks it seems like a great design and thus far my back sure likes the feel of the curve frame. Great work by the SG crew!

OP
S
Kurt will have a video up in the near future showing how to dial in the dual side straps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Tex68w

WKR
Kurt will have a video up in the near future showing how to dial in the dual side straps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Good deal. Been wondering if they were going to put up more pics of the new pack and maybe a video of the new frame. I didn't expect much with them being gone for shows recently.

Tex68w

WKR
How do you like the lid in bivy mode?

It's nice, I had to cinch up the top part of the pack and shove the string down in the main part of the pack, well that's at least how I did it this go around. I'll have to play with it some more to get used to how it can be setup in each layout. I didn't realize that the load shelf was only a braced expansion area, I assumed based off of the photos of all of their packs that the load shelf included the load cell dry bag, so I need to order a load cell dry bag once they come back in stock.

mailman delivered my pack to the wrong house today and they have no idea where it is...... super gay!

Glad to hear that your liking it so far Tex! Kinda jealous!

Tex68w

WKR
mailman delivered my pack to the wrong house today and they have no idea where it is...... super gay!

Glad to hear that your liking it so far Tex! Kinda jealous!

Man, that's a bummer. Good thing is that SG will likely take care of this for you ASAP if in fact the package ends up being lost. Trust me, it'll be worth the wait.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
It's nice, I had to cinch up the top part of the pack and shove the string down in the main part of the pack, well that's at least how I did it this go around. I'll have to play with it some more to get used to how it can be setup in each layout. I didn't realize that the load shelf was only a braced expansion area, I assumed based off of the photos of all of their packs that the load shelf included the load cell dry bag, so I need to order a load cell dry bag once they come back in stock.

Any idea on how long the load cell dry bag will be backordered? That's all I'm waiting for before I pull the trigger on a Sky talus 6900/XCurve Frame.

Well I just checked Online and the load cell isn't backordered anymore, Time to Order!!!

Last edited:

Tex68w

WKR
Any idea on how long the load cell dry bag will be backordered? That's all I'm waiting for before I pull the trigger on a Sky talus 6900/XCurve Frame.

Well I just checked Online and the load cell isn't backordered anymore, Time to Order!!!

Just looked, it appears that it is back in stock as of this evening however, the Hydro Sleeve and Weapons Sling are now out of stock.

Could one of you guys please post a picture of the loops for the swing out pockets & the camp pocket? I'm wondering if what I already have will work or if I have to get those as well...

Tex68w

WKR
Could one of you guys please post a picture of the loops for the swing out pockets & the camp pocket? I'm wondering if what I already have will work or if I have to get those as well...

This is in the front center zip pocket. There are anchors/attachments on each side about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. I attached a Swing out pocket on each side.

This is in the main part of the pack. There are two anchors/attachment points at the top of the bag. I have attached both the Hydration Sleeve as well as a Camp Pocket to this point.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Todd Kelly, sorry to hear about the delivery confusion. Please let us know if there is anything we can help with. Unfortunately our USPS tracking numbers do not give us the same accurate information once the parcel crosses the border and customs, but we would like to help however we can. Feel free to give us a call at 406-404-0641 if we can be of assistance.

Thanks to all other contributors on this thread, good to hear the packs and frames are working well for everyone. We will have updated fit and function videos soon once we get caught up after shows. Feel free to call or email if there are any specific answers we can help with.

Best,
Kurt

Thanks for the message Kurt, The post office tracked it down and I got the pack last night..........

TEX,

When you tighten your belt are you getting the same twisting of the webbing as in my pic? Seems like the tri glide is made out of a soft plastic that stretches and allows the webbing to twist. I load my MR NICE belt the same way to make it a forward pull belt but have never had this happen. Looks like something that may wear out a break over time???

attachment.php

OP
S
Todd,
I didn't have any issue with twisting of the webbing on the belt pull like that. I really reefed down hard on the forward assist and didn't notice any flex whatsoever in that big tri-glide. Are you lifting up when you pull the webbing or flat and straight back towards the main belt buckle? I'll test mine out when I get home to see if I can duplicate what you're seeing.

Doesn't matter what angle I tighten the belt at, on both sides I can see the tri glide stretch out allowing the webbing to twist. The tri glides on my MR pack are super stiff, where the SG ones are super flexible. Just seems like the webbing will fray and wear out being tightened like this.

Last edited: