Stone Glacier XCurve & Sky 5900 Field Report

tuffcity

WKR
Ha! Just checked my tracking number and it shows mine arrived at the Whitehorse post office last night. SWEET! 7 days by USPS Montana to Yukon... not bad! Hopefully the pick up slip is in my mailbox tonight.

RC

as an aside... having your product built completely in the US really facilitated an easy transition through customs. By the looks of the tracking sheet it was in and through without stopping. Now, if you could only level the exchange rate field a bit... :)

Last edited:

Tex68w

WKR
Thanks for the message Kurt, The post office tracked it down and I got the pack last night..........

TEX,

When you tighten your belt are you getting the same twisting of the webbing as in my pic? Seems like the tri glide is made out of a soft plastic that stretches and allows the webbing to twist. I load my MR NICE belt the same way to make it a forward pull belt but have never had this happen. Looks like something that may wear out a break over time???

attachment.php

Todd,

I yanked, twisted, pulled, jerked, and exerted pretty much any other force once could on the belt tri-glides both while under load and while empty and I never had the issue that you describe. My tri-glides don't feel or appear to be soft or flexible either, maybe it's possible you just need some replacement tri-glides?

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Todd,
Thanks for the update, I just sent an email reply to you as well. The webbing does flow better when pulled at a 90 degree angle to the buckle, pushing away from the hips opposed to at an upward or downward angle. Much like when tightening the 1" compression straps on the pack, pulling to the side or out of line with the buckle can create more tension and the webbing won't flow smoothly through the buckle. This being said, I included a couple of options in my email for you, we will make sure to get you taken care of.
Best,
Kurt

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Todd,
Thanks for the update, I just sent an email reply to you as well. The webbing does flow better when pulled at a 90 degree angle to the buckle, pushing away from the hips opposed to at an upward or downward angle. Much like when tightening the 1" compression straps on the pack, pulling to the side or out of line with the buckle can create more tension and the webbing won't flow smoothly through the buckle. This being said, I included a couple of options in my email for you, we will make sure to get you taken care of.
Best,
Kurt

This is one of the reasons I just ordered a Sky talus 6900/Xcurve from Stone Glacier! That's great service right there! I'm waiting very impatiently for it to arrive and put it through some grueling testing. Hoping to have a stone sheep in the pack and big load this up coming sheep season!

coleman

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed that is good service there. I see a Stone Glacier in The future as well. Just have to decide on the model. Thanks for the review.

Ordered some stuff yesterday , I must say the customer service via email is on it , respond fast. Shipped my stuff quickly as well , thanks SG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just a quick overview of the 5900 and frame.

[video=youtube;65He5Ofzr1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65He5Ofzr1U[/video]

OP
S
Great video Todd, thanks for making that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

just a quick overview of the 5900 and frame.

[video=youtube;65He5Ofzr1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65He5Ofzr1U[/video]

Great video Todd. I know you were a big fan of MR so I'm supprised you went with the xcurve instead of the krux as the back profile would have been similar to your MR's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tex68w

WKR
Great review Todd, I woke up this morning thinking about doing a video but now I don't have to haha.

OP
S
chippewawarrior,
Some of my pictures in the first post show the lid in use with a deer skull under it as well as it being used with minimal gear in the pack. The Kifaru guide lid is noticably larger and seems to come down the bag quite a ways compared to the SG Sky lid. I've never had any issues with the SG lids not having enough room to hold my essential items I like to get to quickly. If you were set on the Kifaru Guide lid, I think it'd be fairly easy to change up some connectors on the Guide lid and run it on the SG. Food for thought.

chippewawarrior,
Some of my pictures in the first post show the lid in use with a deer skull under it as well as it being used with minimal gear in the pack. The Kifaru guide lid is noticably larger and seems to come down the bag quite a ways compared to the SG Sky lid. I've never had any issues with the SG lids not having enough room to hold my essential items I like to get to quickly. If you were set on the Kifaru Guide lid, I think it'd be fairly easy to change up some connectors on the Guide lid and run it on the SG. Food for thought.

Yea, that's what I thought, it just looks smaller. If you can't tell, I'm really at odds as to what to do. I'm following the frame comparison thread, and I understand fit is individual. All I have ever owned is Kifaru, so I really have no frame of reference. I have a curved back, tried the Krux, and it was not for me. This however has me close to making the switch...

R_burg

WKR
Yea, that's what I thought, it just looks smaller. If you can't tell, I'm really at odds as to what to do. I'm following the frame comparison thread, and I understand fit is individual. All I have ever owned is Kifaru, so I really have no frame of reference. I have a curved back, tried the Krux, and it was not for me. This however has me close to making the switch...
Have you checked the specs on these bags or watched the videos by the manufacturers? I find them very helpful. Kurt shows the lid in one of the bag videos.

The Kifaru guide lid is 1200 ci, the SG is 500 ci. The specs are on their websites.